main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Finn's romantic future is with... who?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Ghost, Dec 27, 2017.

?

Finn's romantic future is with...

1. Rey

40.2%
  2. Rose

39.1%
  3. Poe

20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    "Butchered" is certainly a strong word, but there are quite a few gaps in characterization between both movies:

Finn : suddenly, his Acumen / Wit / Quick-thinking is gone ; he also mysteriously forgot half of what he learned in TFA.
    ex: on SKB, he learned from Han Solo to not let his attachment to Rey cloud his judgement and endanger other people (that was Han's very last lesson, BTW)

It's almost as if a certain director went out of his way to make sure Finn would be the worst match posssible for Rey...

Hux : suddenly became totally incompetent (he was the only villain to know his s##t in TFA)
    Snoke : suddenly lost all nuances (rewatch closely his line : "Even you, Master of the Knights of Ren, have never faced such a test" : i see more nuances & range there than in his entire performance in TLJ)
    BB-8 : suddenly became an annoying "one-robot-army"
    Poe : suddenly doesn't care about his men lives (and his flaws have been turned up to eleven)
    (Jess Pava / Snap Wexley : suddenly not pilots in the Resistance anymore)

May be details, but they add up. But all that is marginal compared to how Rian **** on JJ's mystery boxes...

2. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    Yes! I am!

Good luck with that!

3. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    @Artoo-Dion am I allowed to reply the way I would like to.

panki likes this.
  4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    @Aetius888 This is certainly not a "hot or not" site, and the implication of your post is more than troubling. Keep that sort of stuff to yourself or we will help you by removing your posting privileges.

5. Ren Kylo

Ren Kylo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 23, 2015
    finn's romantic future is with moi...just kidding :p
    i think it's with rey, based on their bonding in tfa. they both found in each other something they were missing, and i think that it showed again in tlj with their hug.

6. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    I still like Finn and Rey the best. I don't have much hope of it happening right now though.
    I wasn't really impressed with Finn and Rose, the kiss felt like it came way too early, like RJ was trying to force the romance before he was out the door.
    It would be a pleasant surprise if he ended up with Poe though.

dekaneas and cut-of-space like this.
  7. ComfortablyNunb

ComfortablyNunb Jedi Master star 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ah, you're right. He picks it up off the floor but Leia gets it back when she awakes.

Still, the climax involves Rey and Finn hugging and there's that great little moment of (potential) jealousy when Rey sees Finn putting a blanket over Rose on the Falcon. Again, I'm fine with whatever JJ does in Ep9 as long as it's emotionally rewarding.

dekaneas likes this.
  8. teamhansolo

teamhansolo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Finn and Rose. They clearly brought her into the movie as a future romantic interest for Finn. I mean, did you see how awkward their meeting was? With Rey, he's more like a best friend, and I will absolutely never ship stormpilot. So, that's why I said Rose.

dekaneas likes this.
  9. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    Nobody in the world ships Finn and Rose. Her kiss was pathetic. Hopefully J.J realists this and scrapes their romance. Just have Finn get together with Rey. They have so much chemistry together. Their 1 second together in TLJ was more convincing than the whole movie with Rose.

10. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    I definitely think Finn will have romance with Rey if anyone. Finn showed no attraction to Rose for the entirety of TLJ, including that weird poorly placed kiss. Plus JB wants Finn/Rey to happen and apparently they're back together for at least a significant amount of time in IX. Can't disagree with the guy can I.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
  11. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    OOOOOO A SHIPPING THREAD! Oh wait, are we not allowed to call it that?

Honestly, any of these are fair game. All of these characters love Finn, which is great because he damn well deserves it. Here's my ranking:

3. Finn/Rose- This is the most likely one. I don't hate this pairing. I love Rose Tico. She's adorable and she deserves better in Episode IX. However, I'm not usually a fan of characters who are made just to be love interests for other main characters. Rose is one of the better versions of this archetype because she actually has a personality and character, but the romance between them is pretty forced and hamfisted. It really didn't need to be there. They would be cute, though. It's just not my first choice. Or my second one.

2. Finn/Poe- This pairing is pretty popular outside of this forum. Like, seriously, the only one more popular than this pairing is Reylo (and maybe Kylux). Now, I'm not really sure this will become a thing, but it has its merits. Poe is definitely fond of Finn and their bond is a highlight in these films. They seem to have a genuine concern for one another that's pretty sweet. Also, Oscar Isaac plays Poe as if he's interested in Finn so...maybe? But I doubt this will become of anything. It's almost too progressive for the franchise at this point. Still, I love this relationship regardless.

1. Finn/Rey- It just works, okay? Finn and Rey have great chemistry and they are just so close. These two are best friends and are always on each other's mind. They are the reason why TFA works. It's just a genuinely sweet relationship.

Honorable Mention- Finn/Rey/Poe/(occasionally)Rose- I mean, this is 2018. They can share right. Like I said, they all love Finn.:p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2018
    dragonchic likes this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Some real life people are 'awfully written' as well.

13. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    Lol, "lowly mechanic." You recall that Rey was a scavenger on a backwater world and Finn worked in sanitation for the FO, correct? They've all had humble beginnings and became something much more.

14. RandomGreyJ

RandomGreyJ Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Finn/Rose kinda rubs me the wrong way considering how their relationship was displayed in TLJ. Plus, a lot of people who support it seem to be the same one's who didn't want him with Rey in TFA because it would be boring, yet here we are. Or they believe he should be with someone more "his level" as if he's not good enough for Rey. Which I suspect has more to do with the lack of Force powers. As if that was ever a deterrent.

Considering I didn't find Rose to be too likable, I would need a reason to root for her to get with Finn. And honestly I'm not given too many reasons based off of TLJ. It seems like the whole thing is more for Rose than Finn. I don't like the way that Rose feels she has to educate him constantly. Really rubs me the wrong way.

Rose doesn't give me the vibes the way Rey towards him. Seems like JJ put a lot of effort into making that relationship as genuine as possible and I doubt he'd let it go stagnant for no reason. Especially not in exchange for one with Rose. I mean, how often to we get a black and white relationship that's built off of mutual care and affection? Not often. Not in large franchises like this.

If anything, there were a lot of people who wanted Finn to be away from Rey in Episode 8 to better established his character. They felt he was too attached to her or defined by her. I'm honestly thinking the same needs to happen with Rose. Plus, wouldnt mind angering some racists with a black/white romance.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  15. bweurk

bweurk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 11, 2018
    my opinion, but i could be wrong, is that Finn and Rey will never be more than just friends... as soon as i saw TFA i thought there would be something between Rey and Ben, and TLJ showed us that they where indeed going in that direction... now that doesn't mean in ep IX it will not take another route, but i never felt that Rey was attracted to Finn.... Finn was attracted to Rey, but not the other way... and now Finn has Rose... who looks to be more attracted to him than he is to her.... so you never know...
    But i would still bet (if i really had to) on Rey and Ben, i think that is the main reason she is not a Skywalker, and i think that is how the family will continue.
    Once again, i might be wrong, but there is one thing for sure, the authors of the new trilogy are toying with this idea

16. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    I remember after TFA there were people saying Finn was clearly in the friend zone by Rey and honestly thats kinda the way i see it. i think they are close friends but there isn't anything romantic there.

With Rose since she actually got the kiss first in... yeah i can see this being something that can't be ignored. but i don't see it being soap opera type deal with Finn letting rose down gently... there is no point to that kind of scene beyond Bias and i don't think JJ can be biased with Episode 9.

Its funny the way people are trying to hook all the characters up since the fans and the people involved in making these films and books can't seem to make their minds up. its either...
    • Rose & Finn
    • Rey & Finn
    • Rey & Poe
    • Rey & Kylo
    • Poe & Finn

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  17. Justin Whitted

Justin Whitted Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2018
    He does because when you think about it, much of the ST doesn't happen without him. If Finn doesn't defect/exist, Poe is captured and dies, Rey stays on Jakku as a scavenger, and Rose never idolizes him. Kylo finds BB-8, retrieves the holocron to Luke and that's that.

18. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Finn to me is the Han Solo of the ST, the unsung reluctant hero.

godisawesome likes this.
  19. The Deuteragonist

The Deuteragonist Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    It's funny because in one of the latest Poe Dameron comics
    Poe and Rey bond over how much of a great guy Finn is and how he saved both of their lives. Poe, in particular, mentions it twice, which kind of irritates Rey. It should be noted they have this conversation while he's in the other room taking care of Rose.

So yeah, Finn's the best.

This. I never got why people keep trying to compare him to Leia.

christophero30 likes this.
  20. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I like KMT, and I like the potential of Rose's character...but after seeing TLJ I can not fathom how people have concluded that Rose and Finn is the destined pairing of this trilogy.

For me it begins with Rose's creation, RJ made her to fill a void when he decided that a story arc following Finn and Poe going on an adventure together wouldn't do enough for either character. This would occur AFTER the daily's for TFA were shot so we can safely say that JJ Abrams wasn't planning on having Finn fall for some new character introduced in the second film.

As for RJ, the man was determined to subvert as much of audience expectation as he could...and Rose and the role she plays is yet another example of that. Look, RJ and the rest of the writing team know exactly what Fans expect to happen when you pair a male and female on an adventure in the Star Wars universe...especially during the second film in a Trilogy....they all saw 'The Empire Strikes back' same as we did. Thus they played with it. So whereas Leia was annoyed with Han at the beginning of ESB, Rose is enamored of Finn. Where there's clearly some romantic tension in Han and Leia's conflict, Rose and Finn's is almost devoid of it. Leia and Han's kiss is clearly the culmination of their shared feelings...whereas Finn and Rose's kiss falls completely flat and it's almost painfully clear that Finn dose not feel the same way about her as she does about him. Sure he watches over her...but she got injured for his sake and I'd expect Finn to sit at the side of an injured friend.

Now let's talk about that kiss. It fell flat, and just about everywhere I've looked and everyone I've talked to agrees on that point. Yet people still try to say "Well Rose kissed him s I guess they're in love." if that were true, then Rey's already in a relationship with Finn since she kissed him at the end of TFA. Whatever your feelings about RJ, I can tell he is capable enough to direct his actors to convey the emotions he wants the audience to feel. Finn's reaction to that Kiss is in no way positive. Sure, he doesn't recoil in horror away from Rose but he's not leaning in or doing anything to encourage that kiss. In fact Rose literally has to steal it from his lips when he's distracted by an explosion. Now, for comparison...a Kiss with an explosion behind it that clearly shows both participants WANT that kiss.

at 2:26

Honestly I don't think RJ ever seriously intended for Finn and Rose to come off as romantic...I mean even if there are cut scenes where they were more caring towards one another...those are on the cutting room floor for a reason...and even if they were in the movie they'd still lead up to a kiss that fell completely flat....meanwhile RJ directs Finn and Rey's reunion like this:

Which is the most at peace either character has been throughout the film....almost like they finally got home.

I think you could make an argument that Both Rey and Finn were tempted to separate emotionally with the promise of other relationships...and ultimately both rejected those temptations. Finn may have gained a willingness to fight for more than just his friends and loved ones...but he never stopped caring about Rey and vise versa. I mean even when she is going to face Snoke her last message....is for Finn.

Now I will admit, RJ doesn't have the final say (by his own admittance), and if Colin Trev were still directing I'd be worried that Finn and Rey wouldn't happen. However JJ is in charge and he's already stated that Finn and Rey are back together again for the finale.

So that is where I stand on the subject and why.

21. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Rey, no question for me. They had the best chemistry and TFA spent most of it's runtime building them up. Plus there's "symmetry" there as well.

Rose, well I don't care for her character right now and her dynamic with Finn felt like an inferior copy of TFA Rey/Finn. Also the kiss came out of nowhere.

22. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm starting to wonder if that was intentional...you know make a 'Rey clone' so people will think Finn and Rose are meant to be a couple...then subvert that like he did just about everything else.

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    That sounds really pointless and if it did, it backfired because even a lot of people who liked the film overall didn't care for that part of it much (I know a few such people).

24. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I would say no one. At least not in the next film.

25. RiddleMeThis

RiddleMeThis Jedi Master star 4

Dec 7, 2017
    I'm sure the kiss was out of nowhere for Finn. He is a typical dude, seems to have no idea when a girl is interested. I can relate. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.