main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fire and Ice...Qui and Obi fight for survival on Hoth...Lurker Appreciation Week has begun!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Hm, don't think this one needs to be edited to fit the rating...

Chapter Seven

After two hours of searching, Obi-Wan was pleased to see that this room was not as tightly sealed off as the other rooms were. Escape from here would be easy, should his master be able to walk, which with that leg was highly doubtful. He sighed and buried his face in his hands, more for show if anyone was watching than from hopelessness. He wondered when his master would wake again. Oh, would he be angry! But Qui-Gon frequently tried to shield him from life, and in this situation it could get them both killed.

Qui-Gon's eyes fluttered open several hours later and his gaze darkened as his eyes focused on his errant padawan. //Obi-Wan, that was entirely unnecessary,// he said sharply through their link.

Obi-Wan had dozed off with his head in his hands. His master's sharp rebuke brought him wide awake quickly. //Perhaps it was more so than you wanted it to be,// he replied, a bit more testily than he usually would have. His burns were causing his temper to flare.

//I would advise you to watch your tongue, Learner. You have twice disobeyed my direct orders on this mission. I highly doubt you want to find yourself in more trouble,// Qui-Gon snapped.

Obi-Wan's own patience snapped as well and he stood up in front of his master. //You are trying to protect me, and I thank you for that. But with you so injured you can't coddle me on this mission, or we'll both be killed.// His blue eyes met and held his master's.

//You didn't even give me the chance to coddle you,// Qui-Gon said, twisting a little in the tank. //By Force-pushing me to sleep against my will you questioned my judgment. I merely stated a fact that you were not recovered. I do not appreciate the way that you handled the situation.//

Obi-Wan turned his head aside. //I did what I felt was best,// he returned. //As you often do yourself.// His disobedience with his master stemmed from letting Lucas 'take care of things' and end up killing him, and nearly killing Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan himself did not see it, but the Force suggested this reason for Qui-Gon to understand.

//I see. So you felt that you couldn't trust me. That's the root of this issue isn't it?// Qui-Gon sent.

Obi-Wan suddenly realized that his master was right. He slumped back down into the chair and pressed his hands to his face. //I didn't mean not to, Master. I just...// He trailed off, feeling as bad as he had when he returned from Melida/Daan.

//Even if you don't trust my orders, as my apprentice you are still obligated to follow my instructions. You have no authority to make up your own. Are we clear on this, Obi-Wan?// Qui-Gon said, a trifle testily.

Obi-Wan sent an acknowledgement that didn't even constitute an actual thought. Guilt plagued him. How could he have done that?

Qui-Gon floated in bacta in silence for several minutes. He wanted out. He was getting tired of being cooped up in the small chamber. He fidgeted again. //Obi-Wan...I don't suppose you managed to find a way out of here while I was out....// he sent hopefully.

Now this was something that Obi-Wan did have a positive answer to. //Yes, I did, Master. But I don't know if they are monitoring us or not. If they are, the moment you get out of there they will know.//

//Oh, don't worry about that,// Qui-Gon sent ruefully. //With a broken leg it'd be rather impossible to get out of this tank on my own. We'll just have to wait for our opportunity to present its self.//

Obi-Wan's joy faded and he sighed. //They sure seemed frantic when they got me, Master. I thought they wanted us to die, then they were afraid that we were going to. I've thought a lot about this and have a few theories, if you would like to hear them.//

//Sure. It's not like I'm going anywhere,// his master tried to joke.

Obi-Wan hid his chuckle by coughing. //Well, either they think someone is going to come for us and wreak havoc with them if we are dead, or they don't want to kill us themselves so as to not bring attention to thems

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Qui-Gon, Qui-Gon... sometimes I wonder about you, old fart! Boy was worried and went after you! As if you wouldn't do the same thing! :p hehehehe

Well... I'm still chuckling over Qui's comment about 'playing in the snow' *snrk* hehehehehe

Still shaking my head over Obi allowing that guy to goof with that 'heater' oh well... guess Obi thought the kid knew what he was doing (yeah right! hehehe) Poor Obi.. guilt isn't a fun thing to feel and to have one's Master give you a tongue lashing as well. Poor kid.

Great post!!!

3. foxy_kenobi

foxy_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    This is great! ^.^

4. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Hm well I would post more but we're having problems with our computers keeping the code between them, or possibly Layren sent them to me and I can't find them. Yeah. So. Anyways, another piece will be up as soon as I can get it. :}

"Patience is a virtue..." "Not right now it isnt!"

5. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Here's some more!! :}

Chapter Eight

~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~

The man stomped into the chamber, a scowl on his face. Tapping a long, metal rod lightly on his palm that was glowing at one, flattened end, he said, "Your Padawan is proving difficult to capture, but we should soon have him. Why don't you make his imprisonment unnecessary, Jinn? He seems a little worse for wear already. Tell me what I want to know: Why are you here?"

Qui-Gon frowned a little as he stared at the man. He hadn't told the terrorist even who he was so how did he know his name? "We've never been formally introduced so how do you even know who I am?" he said dryly, stalling. "And of course my padawan's proving difficult to capture?he is learning the Jedi craft, after all."

The man gave him a look. "We might be on a backwater planet, Jinn, but we do have our resources intact. Plus, a slicer who is excellent at slipping past the Jedi Temple's security. It was very simple to find out who you and your padawan are." The man gazed at him a moment, debating inwardly, then said, "You probably do not know this, and I will tell you as a gesture of good faith that information will be presented to me in return...Obi-Wan is in very bad shape. I've been told that he is on his way in with several of my people, and though putting up a worthy fight, is extremely injured and sick. Did you know?" He gazed down at Qui-Gon quizzically.

An odd look flickered across Qui-Gon's face somewhere between anger and concern. He grunted in displeasure and pulled at the straps restraining him to the chair. So Obi-Wan had disobeyed him had he? Well he would learn the consequences for his actions once they arrived back at the Temple, Qui-Gon promised himself darkly. "No. I did not," he said flatly. He didn't add that it was because he'd been closing himself off from the boy attempting to keep his end of the bond shut so Obi-Wan wouldn't put himself at risk.

The man silently observed him for a moment, then said off-handedly, "Children." His tone changed to a darker and more menacing one. "It is your turn to offer information, Jinn. Why are you here?"

"I just did offer information," Qui-Gon pointed out mildly. "You asked if I knew and I answered. That's all the information I'm giving."

The man's gaze darkened. "Why are you being so difficult? It is just a small piece of information that I want!"

"You're just lucky I guess. I want to be away from Hoth instead of chained to this chair?can't always have what we want in life," he replied, his tone of voice sounding like a professor in a classroom lecture.

"Fine!" The man snapped. "Then let's try to coax it out of you a little more, shall we?" Without waiting for a reply, he stuck the extremely hot metal rod against the bottom of Qui-Gon's feet and pressed in hard.

Qui-Gon inhaled as the sharp, hot metal burned into the bottom of his feet. The pain was incredible. He felt as if he were on fire and yet freezing all at the same time from the sweat chilling his body. The longer the rod was held to his feet, the deeper it burned, and he swore viciously, determined to try to keep silent lest his apprentice hear him in his pain.

A loud knock sounded from behind them and the man twisted around, a satisfied look on his face. "Ah, here at last," he remarked as a shivering, extremely pale Obi-Wan was shoved into the room. He landed on the floor and didn't move. The man glanced at Qui-Gon. "Now we'll get our answers, but first I need to prepare." He lifted the rod from Qui-Gon's feet and ordered Obi-Wan to be tied to a long pole near Qui-Gon so that the boy was dangling by his hands and feet, like a gundar at a feast. "I'll be back soon," the man promised as he walked out.

Qui-Gon breathed a sigh of relief as the man left. He yelped a little from his breath and grimaced as he tried to wiggle his toes. A sharp pain shot through him. He immediately desisted and craned his neck to try to look at his apprentice.

Obi-Wan was so pale that even his freckles weren't showing. A thin film of sweat covered

6. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    We're on a roll!! :}

Chapter Nine

Sassi fumed. Both Jedi had been gone now for three days, with no word about how either of them were. She was still highly mad at young Kenobi for going off without her; she hadn't thought that Jedi lied or misled others. She sighed in anger and turned back to the conversation at hand. Qua was arguing that they stay put for the Jedi to find them, but Greklen wanted them to leave like the Jedi had told them to. Obi-Wan had left a note, telling them to leave if he was not back with Qui-Gon in 48 hours time. They had already stayed a day longer and Greklen wanted to leave before the other Jedi rescue team arrived.

Quanli looked over at Sassi. She knew the other woman was very upset that young Kenobi had left without them. She was very concerned about the pair of them. Master Jinn had been missing a good deal longer than Obi-Wan, and if he couldn't handle the trouble then how would his injured apprentice be able to manage? She shivered a little and sighed. Research sometimes accounted for unknown variables, but only in controlled environments. They had an unknown somewhere on this planet and she didn't like it. Not one bit. This was a problem she had no idea how to solve.

Greklen was pounding his fist on the table. "We should obey them and get the blazes out of here! If two Jedi can't control whatever it is on this planet, then loss of our findings or not, we should go!"

"You would just leave them to die!? Out in the frozen fields of Hoth?" Qua stared at her co-researcher in astonishment, having had no idea that someone could be so cruel.

Howie, for the first time ever, spoke up for Greklen. "Tat is not whut he's saying," the dark-skinned man interjected. "We have to tink of our saf-ty as well. Whut can we do tat two Jedi cannot?"

Qua scowled. "It is what he's saying. The Jedi will freeze to death if we leave them out there alone. We will stay until the rescue teams arrive," she said firmly. "We have enough supplies."

"What about burying poor Lucas?" Jebthia shot back. "He needs to go have a proper burial. How long will the Jedi take to get here to rescue their own?"

Almost as if on cue, Qua's comlink started beeping. She eagerly lifted it to her lips. "Yes?" She paused a moment and then sighed, relief evident in her voice. "The rescue team has arrived," she said as she thumbed off her comlink. "I'm going to go and meet them?the rest of you can do as you like."

Sassi leaped out of her chair to follow Qua, leaving the rest to continue to dicker among themselves. "I can't believe them sometimes," she said as they walked toward the landing ship, disgust in her tone.

Qua shook her head in disgust. "They only care about themselves and the research. That is very disappointing." She sighed as she headed out to meet the Jedi team that the Temple had sent.

Four Jedi stepped out of the ship. Two male Jedi, a female Jedi and a younger woman Jedi wrapped so heavily in an environmental suit that her race was impossible to tell, only the fact that she wasn't human was evident. The other Jedi seemed comfortable in their suits. The blonde haired man bowed slightly. "I'm Jedi Master Kyran Josel. These are my companions Lana Josel, Jedi Master Yan Dooku and Jedi Padawan Bant."

Qua bowed back. "I am very pleased to see that you have arrived. Master Jinn has been missing for almost five days; Padawan Kenobi has been gone for three. We are very concerned about their welfare. Master Jinn went out to meditate and never came back. Padawan Kenobi went looking for him even after he'd been injured."

"Injured?" Bant spoke up, lifting her head and showing that she was a Calamarian. No wonder she was so bundled.

Qua bowed her head slightly. "Yes. Another team member of ours was killed in an explosion. Padawan Kenobi was injured?quite badly, actually, in the blast. But he went out into the frozen plains of Hoth anyway."

Sassi fumed and couldn't resist adding, "After telling me that he would wait for me..."

"Padawan Kenobi left after telling you he w

7. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hehehehe loved this line:
    "You men become idiots when it comes to a woman."
    Hehehehehe how true sometimes! But it goes both ways! I've seen women act like pure fools around men sometimes! ;) So it isn't juz the guys!

Poor Obi & Qui!!! Sooo sweet of Obi to tell Qui all that :D :D

Yippee!!!!!!! Dooku!!!! [face_love] to the rescue!! Well with others too of course ;) *snrk* hehehe guess I can't forget them! ;)

Great to know they're on their way back to Coruscant! They'll need the healers for sure... poor guys!

Ahhh Dooku! :D Bet he's worried about his old Paddy! ;) Great work!!! Excuse me as I =P~

8. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Last chapter! Yay!!

Chapter Ten

Lana didn't know which Jedi she was the most concerned over. Both Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's skin were tinted blue from the cold and neither had regained consciousness since their rescue. They were both in slightly cold bacta tanks at the Jedi Temple, cold in order to keep them from going into shock if introduced to too warm a temperature right away. Two padawan-master Healer teams were constantly watching the two Jedi every minute of the day. Neither Kyran nor Lana had moved from the bacta tanks.

Kyran paced in front of the bacta tank holding Qui-Gon. The red mark on his throat was still visible even after extended time in bacta. He wondered what had happened to him to get his throat in that condition. He shivered slightly and glanced over at his wife. "You should go rest. You're more tired than I am."

Lana tore her eyes from Obi-Wan's extremely pale face. "No," she said, shaking her head. "Even if I went, I would not be able to sleep....Not until we are told something more substantial." Her eyes pleaded with her husband to not force her to leave her two friends.

Kyran sighed a little. "Well, you should go eat something at least?and bring me something back from the dining hall."

Lana glanced at the two floating Jedi, hesitated, then gave in as she stood. "Anything in particular you want?"

"Not really?I won't be picky at the moment. A piece of bread and some type of salad at the very least."

Lana nodded and said, "Contact me on the comlink if anything changes? Or if we have more news?"

"Of course I will." He kissed her lightly. "Go eat."

Lana smiled wanly, then went to the dining hall. She had just loaded two sliced dewback sandwiches onto her plate for herself and Kyran when she heard Bant calling her name. She turned to see the Calamarian young woman striding toward her with the researcher, Sassi, behind her. They must have just gotten off their own ship from their rumpled clothing. Lana let Bant hug her. "How was the trip?"

Bant shrugged. "Long."

Sassi glanced at Lana taking in the plate piled with food. "How's Qui-Gon? And Obi-Wan," she asked, adding the apprentice's name almost as an afterthought.

Lana bristled at the other woman's attitude toward Obi-Wan, but refrained from commenting on it as she said, "They are both critical. Neither has woken, though there are two Jedi teams watching over them."

Sassi winced and her features softened slightly. "I'm sorry. Neither are awake?" She sighed a little at that. "I'd like to go back with you to the Healer's if you don't mind?"

Lana eyed her coolly. "None but Jedi or family are allowed to see critical patients, though you may wait in the outside waiting area."

Bant silently watched the two human women, observing their interaction.

Sassi's face fell. "Oh. I understand," she said biting her lip. "Then I'll camp out in the waiting area."

Lana turned to Bant. "You are welcome to visit Obi-Wan and Qui, anytime." Then she walked away, not giving Sassi another glance.

Sassi stared after Lana and sighed deeply. She hadn't meant to sound like she wasn't concerned for Obi-Wan. She was deeply concerned, but her wording had come out wrong. She could figure out numbers brilliantly but when it came to dealing with relationships she had more of a hard time. She quietly gathered her things and went to go camp out in the waiting area of the Healer's wing?determined to get some news, even if she wasn't allowed.

---------

"I just can't believe her!" Lana muttered angrily as she handed a sandwich to Kyran and plopping down on a self-conforming chair. "She still has an attitude against Obi-Wan for leaving her. He saved her life! But she's too blind to realize it, the gutka." She glanced at Kyran. "Sorry," she apologized for using Rodian profanity.

"She's just concerned that he risked himself when he was injured and should not have," Kyran said thickly through a bit of his sandwich. "Swear a Jedi should not," he added, grinning a little.

Lana grinned back, some of her anger fa

9. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    FINALLY this thing is done ;) sorry about the long wait everyone :) We had a lot of fun working on it though ;)

10. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Great ending!!! Though surprised ya didn't have Dooku floating around afterward! ;)

This was hilarious!!! //Next time, drop a postcard stating 'Hello, I'm on Hoth. Wonderful place to freeze to death. Come visit anytime.'//

hehehe and the smacking of Qui's hands and giving him juz soup! Sweet Obi giving him some bread with the juice from the ribs hehehe how sweet a Paddy is that!! ;)

Glad Lana let the woman in! Ahhh hopefully those two will get together! ;)

Great work!! :D :D The boys can recoup and cause more trouble! hehehe

11. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar--so glad you liked it! And our personal favorite quote is that same line from Kyran about Hoth. Usually it's Layren that does the funnies but to both of our surprises I thought of that one. lol It will never happen again heehee

Hope you read the continuation of our Fire and Ice series!! :}

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    There's more?? Yippee! Juz tell me where and when and I'll be there! No doubt about it! ;)

Glad I was able to pin point the line ;) hehehe

13. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Well, since you asked, the first chapter of Fire and Ice:Hindsight is up now. Happy reading. More is coming later this week. Not sure when. I have tests and a final coming up soon. lol

14. M-vampier

M-vampier Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    Greate story I really love it :)

But I'm a littel suprised that Dooku isn't more concerned about Qui-gon.

I'm happy that you'll write another story i really enjoy your writing. Keep up the good work :)

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ahhh Dooku had to go on another mission right after ;)Jedi are very busy you know. we just didn't mention it.. hehee.

16. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! Read it after I read the sequel. Wonderful, as usual! Gotta love anything with Qui and Obi in it, but this is so well written that it is a joy to read.

17. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh stop Vader! You're going to spoil us. Look! We're blushing... [face_blush]

18. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    A new reader here - Better late than never as they say ;)

This was very well done :D - a nice combination of fluff and angst.

Moving on to the sequel.
    Rogue

19. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Thank you, and welcome to the loony bin Rogue . lol Though we're not all that bad. Hope to see you lurking and nonlurking on our other joint efforts, and solo ones as well. :}

20. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I enjoyed how thetory was written in present and flashbacks and how the two Jedi are immediately seperated... more ways for mischief! but here was a full-grown, sexy Jedi...and she the only woman in the group. -- Lucky lady!! LOL! How strange to have Qui-Gon tortured in post part of the post and kissed in the next.... not bad strange though.

Very nice Durhelediel... now must rush off to part two.

21. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Glad you liked our rather odd way of doing things, HealerLeona. lol We had fun. Don't forget that I had help on these, heehee. Layren was my partner in crime, and still is as we work on finishing the last and I work on betaing the rest of them. Hang in for more! :}

22. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Leona Hey sweetie! Thanks so much for the kind words. We're both very glad you enjoyed this fic!

You know I can't resist a good Qui-Gon torture, Leona ;) Then of course SOMEbody has to make it better for him -- poor guy ... hehehee. Too bad he's never called ME.... the big gundark ;)

23. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Ahh, didn't mean to omit you Layren, you ladies are doing a wonderful job. Still have to go back and reply to the sequel. :D :D

24. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Was about to read one of the sequels and then figured I'd better start at the beginning! I loved this story! Can't wait to read the rest!

The "postcard" line was awesome!

25. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Snow - Welcome welcome! Enjoy our fic series!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.