main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fire and Ice: Tainted....fourth in series... Lurker Appreciation Week has begun!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Fire and Ice: Tainted (fourth in a series)
    Authors: Durhelediel and Layren
    Rating: PG
    Disclaimer: As usual, Georgie boy owns Star Wars and we just play and hurt the characters when we feel bad.
    Note: All OCs belong to the authors. Please ask before you use them!
    Summary: It has been a very long month as both Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan have been tested time and again. Both have come through their tests closer to each other and stronger in the Force?but this time, not even Qui-Gon can save Obi-Wan from Z'aherin's revenge.

Chapter One

Obi-Wan Kenobi smiled at his friends sitting scattered throughout the cafeteria of the Jedi Temple and deftly steered his way through the throng of people to get to them. Bant had been recalled by the Council, along with her master, to be a support for Obi-Wan as he watched his master slowly heal. Now, two weeks later after Qui-Gon had been found nearly dead, things were finally starting to come back to normal again. He sank down into a chair gratefully. A few pieces of skin on his back still protested when he moved around too much, but other than that, he was doing much better.

"You must be feeling better, Obi-Wan," Bant said, sitting across the table from him. She stared at the large amount of food piled on his tray and one of her large eyes rolled around in her expression of a lifting eyebrow.

Obi-Wan grinned at her as he started shoving food into his mouth. This was the first day in weeks that his full appetite had returned and not even the caf food could spoil it. After he swallowed a large bite of food, he responded, "Yes, and what's even better is that Qui-Gon is going to be released later on today."

"That is very good news," Bant said in sincerity, picking up a piece of fruit and sampling it. She had been extremely concerned when she'd learned from Obi-Wan that Master Windu had had to rescue Master Qui-Gon when his ship had crashed in the middle of an asteroid belt.

Obi-Wan picked up a muja fruit, his favorite, and regarded it a moment. "I almost lost him," he said quietly, then bit into the fruit, taking a large chunk and swallowing quickly to avoid the lump in his throat that had appeared. He suddenly made a face and stared at the fruit, his brows knitting together.

"Something the matter?" Bant asked curiously as she noticed her companion's odd expression. "It's just a muja fruit."

Obi-Wan wished he hadn't swallowed it. There was a lingering taste in the back of his throat that was threatening to overturn his stomach. "I think it wasn't ripe enough, or something," he said putting it back on his plate. "It didn't taste right."

Bant shrugged a little. "Maybe your palate isn't back to normal or something. Just 'cause you're hungry doesn't mean your taste buds are up to par."

That was probably right. Bant usually knew more about such things than he did. "You're probably right," he conceded. He glanced at the rest of his food, but suddenly he wasn't hungry anymore. He stood. "I'm going to check to see if Qui-Gon's awake yet."

"Good idea." Bant smiled a little. "Be sure and tell Master Qui-Gon to get well soon for me."

Obi-Wan nodded at her and quickly dropped off his tray. He thought he saw someone familiar in the back of the kitchens, but when he turned to get a closer look there was no one there besides the regular cookers. Shrugging, he hurriedly made his way over to the turbolift that would take him to the healer's wing. He stabbed the button to take him to the floor where his master was recovering. As the turbolift jerked upward, Obi-Wan nearly fell over, his balance extremely off. Catching himself against the wall, he shook his head slightly. What was that? Turbolifts never affected him like this before...Before he really had a chance to explore the problem, the turbolift doors were opening and he quickly made his way to Qui-Gon's recovery room, his equilibrium back to normal again so he shrugged it off.

"Master?" he called into the darkened room softly.

Qui-Gon's eyes fluttered open. "Obi-Wan? How are you feeling, young one?"

2. BlueJedi

BlueJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    interesting... great start...

will be watching for more.

3. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Welcome BlueJedi! And thank you. Have you read the others in this series yet? This fic can probably be read by itself, though a few things will allude to a previous fic or two. If not, Fire and Ice is the first, Fire and Ice:Hindsight is the second, and Fire and Ice: Trials is the third. Enjoy! :}

4. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh this is great!! Ahhh so the fruit was 'tainted' eh? so to speak. I ponder on whom the 'familiar' person was. Hrmmm

Hehehe Obi mixing spices!! Oh loved that!! hehehehe

Those two... *snrk* did Obi ever burn cookies before? ;)

5. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar you've been reading too many of our fics again, methinks. lol I sit here and laugh, because I have always hoped for a regular enough reader who will get the little references we throw in that lead to some of our other fics...and here you are! lol Though that might mean that you have about as much of a life that we do...namely, nil. lmbo

6. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Aye M'Lady call me certifiably hooked and regular attendee ;) hehehe

7. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Two

Qui-Gon yawned a little as he kicked the covers back. The movement caused him to wince slightly in pain. The blaster wound on his right shin was one of those that was refusing to be healed completely. He carefully got out of bed, noting with some surprise that he'd overslept and Obi-Wan hadn't woken him. He supposed the young man was just a little tired. He decided to shock Obi-Wan when he woke up and headed into the kitchen to go make breakfast.

It was only when he was finished with making breakfast when he noted that Obi-wan still hadn't come out of his room. Normally the smell of food would have brought his padawan out on a run. He frowned and headed into Obi-Wan's room where the lights were off. "Obi-Wan?"

No reply. He flicked on the lights, and felt frozen in place. Obi-Wan was on the floor, tangled up in his bed sheets, specks of red?blood, Qui-Gon's mind noted coolly?thrown against the walls and the floor. Obi-Wan's face was so pale that it was white and was slack.

Qui-Gon reached out to the Force and used it to help him lift the boy. Breakfast could wait. For now, though he wasn't certain what was wrong, his padawan needed healing.

Kyran Josel decided to call on his friends to see how they fared this fine day on Coruscant. He had been surprised to feel Qui-Gon still in his quarters, but figured that both Master and padawan needed the rest. It came as a shock to see Qui-Gon struggling out of their quarters holding a very limp Obi-Wan, bed sheets wrapped around the young man and dried blood running out of the side of his mouth.

"Qui-Gon!" Kyran said as he hurried to his friend. "What is it? What happened?"

"I have no idea," Qui-Gon huffed as he carefully maneuvered Obi-Wan out of his apartment. "He was unresponsive when I tried to wake him this morning. Would you alert the healer's in advanced for me?" he asked.

Kyran gazed at him, then held his arms out. "Give him to me. You don't need to strain yourself. I can run faster than you can right now," he said firmly as Qui-Gon opened his mouth to protest. "I'm not asking you to stay here; just let me carry him."

Qui-Gon frowned stubbornly at his friend, but then realized the truth to his words and very reluctantly handed Obi-Wan to Kyran, trying hard not to grimace in his own pain as he did so.

Kyran immediately sprinted toward the turbolift. "Let the healers know," he said as Qui-Gon followed him. He knew his friend was concerned with Obi-Wan and he might forget to contact the healers.

Qui-Gon pulled out his comlink and thumbed it on. "Han'yaie, this is Jinn. I'm on my way. Obi-Wan was unresponsive this morning for no reason that I could determine."

"Symptoms?" Han'yaie replied smoothly, sounding unconcerned, though Qui-Gon and Kyran both knew from past experience that he was. The turbolift seemed to be taking forever to get to the healers...

"Well, yesterday he lost his balance three times for no explainable reason. But other than that there haven't been any symptoms."

"How was he discovered? What does he look like? Does he have a fever?" Han'yaie barked out. The turbolift finally slowed and the doors opened.

"He looks as pale as a ghost and dried blood is running out of the side of his mouth," Qui-Gon said quickly into the comlink.

Kyran began running again. His boots and Qui-Gon's disturbed the peace of the Temple and several Jedi turned their heads to watch them race past. Soon they had arrived at the Healer's where Han'yaie was waiting for them.

"Put him in here," the healer ordered, indicating a table hooked to several devices. Kyran obeyed and backed up against the wall to give room to Qui-Gon and Han'yaie. "You said he lost his balance three times yesterday?" the healer was saying as he gently prodded Obi-Wan in various pressure points, gaining no response.

Qui-Gon nodded. "Once in the Healer's Wing before I was released: he slid out of his chair. On our way up to our apartment he lost his balance and almost fell over."

"And the third?" Han'yaie asked as he placed h

8. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Hrmmm definitely interesting.... and the Healer doesn't know what it could be? Mystery! And Obi angst at the same time! :) Great combo! :D Look forward to more!

9. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    "What happened?" Qui-Gon demanded. "Do we need to go back to the Healers?"

Ahem, let me answer this question - Hell yes! You two are the poster children for the healers ward and should probably have every sneeze checked out by now :p ;)

I know that they were both tired of the healers ward, but still - okay, I'm done ranting at made up characters ;)

And poor Obi - but hey, this is Durhelediel and Layren's mini Universe and we know that evil is always afoot there :D (and we wouldn't want it any other way!)

As always, more when you can
    Rogue

10. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar- Of course Obi angst! Loads more where that came from too! lol

Rogue- lmbo!!!!! You sooo crack me up! "Poster children for the Healer's ward..." that was great! lol I can't stop laughing... lmbooooo

11. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Three

Qui-Gon had been sitting by Obi-Wan's bedside for several hours, holding his padawan's slack hand gently. He'd been trying to reach Obi-Wan through their bond but so far there had been no result. He stretched to relieve his cramped muscles, then glanced up as Mace Windu entered. "Hi," he greeted softly.

Mace glanced down at Obi-Wan. "It's been a full day since he arrived. Any change?" He sat down beside Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon shook his head. "No. I can't reach him through the bond either," he said as he glanced down at the still form of his padawan.

Mace sighed. "And how are you? I would have been there when you got out of the bacta tank again, but I was caught up in research in the Temple records."

Qui-Gon shrugged a little. "I'm fine. The last treatment cleared up the bit that refused to heal itself. I'm more worried about him than me. Han'yaie still has no idea what's causing this. Were you able to find out any information?"

Mace closed his eyes and shook his head sadly. "I've looked through all known ailments, diseases and sicknesses of the galaxy: he has none of them. Next I will look into something...more sinister." He opened his eyes again and met Qui-Gon's gaze.

Qui-Gon sighed and tried to bring the despair he felt to heel. "I can't lose him. He's so young. He has so much left in his life to do."

Obi-Wan gave a sudden jerk, moaned softly, and his blue eyes fluttered open for the first time in what seemed to have been years to him. He coughed, a dry sound that caused blood to flick out of his mouth.

"Padawan?" Qui-Gon glanced at him in concern. "How do you feel?"

Obi-Wan groaned. What a question! He licked his dry lips and croaked out of a sore throat, "Like I fell from one of the Temple's spires."

Qui-Gon pressed a button to alert Han'yaie that Obi-Wan was awake. "I'm sorry." He squeezed his padawan's hand tightly and sent a wave of warmth through their bond, though he was uncertain if the boy could feel it.

Obi-Wan coughed again, more blood spots appearing on the side of his mouth, but he didn't notice it. The lights were too bright and they hurt his eyes. He was wishing for a darker room when Han'yaie appeared, smiling at him.

Qui-Gon sensed his padawan's hurting eyes and stood, dimming the lights slightly, leaving enough light so that Han'yaie could examine him.

Han'yaie moved around, checking the monitors that he'd attached earlier to the padawan. "It is good to see you awake. How do you feel, Obi-Wan?"

Obi-Wan struggled to move to sit up. A hand on each side of him helped him sit against the pillows. He was surprised to see that one of the arms belonged to Mace Windu. "Um," he said as he struggled to breathe normally. "Better that I'm awake. When can I leave?"

Han'yaie sighed a little. "Not for awhile I'm afraid. I have no idea what is causing this as of yet. I need you to be here for observation."

Obi-Wan frowned. "But..." He stopped. What could he say, really, in the face of what the healer had seen so far with him? He had had some kind of...seizure in the middle of the night that had left him unable to even reach for his master through their bond. No wonder all three faces surrounding him looked deeply concerned. He brushed a hand against his face, and was amazed when he saw blood smeared from his face onto his hand.

"Padawan, don't argue with Han'yaie. It is best not to question his judgments. He knows what's best," Qui-Gon said gently as he put a hand on his shoulder.

Han'yaie arched a brow at Qui-Gon's words. Lately the Jedi Master had been compliant to the point of astonishing the Healer, but to hear him say something like that? He decided not to bring it up in front of Obi-Wan, but he made a mental note to speak to Qui-Gon about it later. "I need to run a few tests to see if we can determine the problem."

Mace stood. "Master Han'yaie," he said in a smooth voice, "if you think it will not tax Obi-Wan, I need to ask him just a few questions."

Obi-Wan frowned, glancing from Jedi to Jedi. Why were they talking

12. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Ahhh liked how the healer got Qui to talk... a month or less?? Oh man oh man!! Poor Obi! Poor Qui!

Oh this is great!! Love how you got Mace trying to help out :D Big baldy lug! hehehe ;)

Oh man... hopefully nobody tells Bant... oh man his friends!! Those poor kids! Find the cure quickly lads!

Awesome job :D

13. Rogue_JediKnight

Mar 19, 2002
    Oh no Obi :_| - that is definitely so sad :_|

Glad to hear that Mace is on the case and kudos to Obi for remembering the wonky tasting fruit.

And poor Qui-Gon! He's been through the wringer so much in the last few weeks that I'm not sure he knows which way is up anymore :(

Rogue

14. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Uh oh, Layren, they're already crying. lol

Kynstar, seems as if you're a Mace fan as well, haha!

Rogue - grab more tissues...that's the only warning I'll give... :}

15. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Only a month, maybe less! :_| Poor Obi and Qui! Sorry it took me so long to comment, but here I am and now waiting for next post!

16. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004
    Nooooooooooo, you cant do that! Obi-Wan can not die! other wise it was a great post.

17. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Arwen- nice to see you made it! And because I know that you are eagerly awaiting the next chapter I decided to get it up tonight instead of relaxing, as I had planned. See how nice I am? lol

JediKnights - Thanks :D

18. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Four

Kyran tried hard not to yawn but he was so sleepy. He had been at a computer terminal in the library for most of the night and so far he'd come up dry. There was no information that he could find whatsoever on Obi-Wan's illness. He sighed and glanced at his partner. "Mace?" he said quietly. "Any luck?"

Mace sighed and rubbed his bald head. "This is very frustrating," he said in a controlled voice. "It exists therefore it has to be here."

"Unless someone deleted it from the archives on purpose," Kyran mumbled, rubbing the back of his neck. He was very stiff from having been sitting at the computer terminal all night.

Mace shook his head. "They'd have to have high levels of security access...or be an expert slicer."

"Like me?" a female voice said to their right. Kyran's wife, Lana, stood there. "Why didn't you ask me to come help sooner? I've broken into the archives before; I might be able to find something you can't."

Kyran stood and stretched, eager to let his wife take a look at the archives. "I just didn't think of it, my love," he said as he hugged and kissed her lightly.

Lana smiled at him, but her eyes did not reflect it.

Kyran frowned. "What's the matter? Besides the obvious."

She didn't even respond to the joke. "Have you seen or heard anything from Qui-Gon? He's not been in the healer's ward for over a day now."

Kyran frowned. "What? But Obi-Wan is still there right?"

She nodded and now a tear gathered in her eye. "Yes, but he hasn't woken much. Han'yaie won't tell me what's going on...keeps telling me I have to ask Qui-Gon...but I can't find him." She sat down at the desk. "Go find him. Something's going on around here and I don't like being in the dark."

Kyran frowned at that news, worried himself now. //Qui-Gon?// he sent to his friend through the bond that they had had since they were children. All he encountered was his friend's heavy mental shielding. He sighed. "He's not responding to me either. He's blocking me. Something's wrong."

Lana nodded, not surprised. "Go on then. We'll continue here."

Mace nodded as well. "Yes, Kyran, find out what Qui-Gon's doing. I have a bad feeling about this."

--------

Qui-Gon sat with his arms wrapped around his knees. He had discovered this secret room in the Temple when he was five and whenever he wanted to be away from everyone he would come here to do what he wished. Here he could let out his grief with nobody around to judge him. The Council couldn't order him around when he was here either. He stifled a small sob. His precious Obi-Wan had less than a month to live. Qui-Gon was trying very hard to maintain an air of normalcy around his padawan, but away from him he could release the emotions that he was trying to contain.

"Qui?" came a soft voice?Kyran's voice. His tone was so gentle, as if afraid that Qui-Gon would break if his tone was too sharp.

Kyran crawled into the small, dark room. He had searched all of Qui-Gon's usual haunts, and then had remembered his friend once telling him about this place. It had been an off-chance that he had come here, but here was where he found his weeping friend. In the dark, he put his arm around Qui-Gon's shoulders. In the same soft tone, he asked, "What's wrong?"

Qui-Gon chewed his lower lip and then said in a very soft voice, "Han'yaie has no idea what is causing Obi-Wan's illness or how to cure it. Something is eating him from the inside out. He has a month to live, at most."

Kyran sucked in a breath. "A...month?"

Qui-Gon nodded once. "At best. At worst, a few weeks."

"Mace said it was in his fruit..." Kyran paused. A stray memory tried to click into place... "Qui-Gon..." he said slowly, "I think I know who did this."

Qui-Gon glanced at him sharply. "Who?"

Kyran used a Jedi technique to sharpen and rewind his past memories of the last few days. "I was walking along a corridor when a man ran into me..." he said, still in that slow, thoughtful tone. "He was laughing, but was running from the Temple. He was near the exi

19. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Great chappie!! Hehehe loved the little humor at the end and it was Mace that said it!! *snrk* Well the 'Yoda' hehehehe

Great! Good ole Lana! ;) Well now they know that he doesn't have much time to live :( hopefully that'll help them motivate themselves... which as if they need help in that matter anyhoo.

Awesome job!!

20. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    ::Layren and Durhelediel bow:: ty ty heehee

Lana's the best! "Lana is great! She's better than chocolate cake!" ((come on, Layren, tell me where that's from. I KNOW you know...))

21. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Very nice you got it up early :D now we have action! YAY!! More more more more!!

22. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Five

Kyran peered at the seedy cantina around the corner of a building. "Why do they always pick places like this to hide out in?" he muttered to Qui-Gon. Tough looking swoop riders stood outside, plainly talking and just as plainly guarding the entrance.

Qui-Gon shrugged a little. "To warn law abiding citizens away?" he offered. "That's generally why criminals stick together."

"Yes, but don't they know they make it so much harder for Jedi to come in and bust things up?" Kyran gave a mock sigh as he unhooked his lightsaber and nodded across the way where Mace was waiting in the shadows. "I suppose this must be done the hard way, then."

Qui-Gon hid a grin as he took out his lightsaber. "They couldn't make it easy," he commented. "Then that would just make them look stupid."

Kyran shrugged. "Oh well. Shall we?" He raised an eyebrow.

Qui-Gon snorted. The coordinating snap-hiss of the three lightsabers igniting drew stares from the swoop riders first, and then blaster fire as they realized what was going on.

Kyran gave a small yell as he charged out of the shadows, trying?and succeeding?on drawing the swoop gang's fire to himself so that Mace and Qui-Gon could have freedom of movement. His lightsaber was a blur of color as it deflected smoothly the erratic, drunken fire of the swoop riders. //Really,// he thought in disgust, //who employs drunk guards?//

//Drunk employees?// Qui-Gon sent back, catching the surface of his friend's thought, snickering slightly at the idea. He burst through the doors of the Cantina with Mace hot on his heels, startling the patrons who quickly began shooting at the pair of them. Skillfully, he managed to deflect bolts and throw chairs around to block the exit so that Z'aherien wouldn't be able to escape should he try. His eyes narrowed as he saw a stairway to a second floor and a ripple in the Force let him know that Z'aherien was up there.

Mace nodded at Qui-Gon as he felt his need to go to the second floor. "I'll stay here," he said tensely as he covered Qui-Gon's retreat to the stairwell.

Qui-Gon nodded his thanks to Mace as he ran towards the stairwell, chopping off limbs and deflecting blaster bolts as he went. He came to the stairs and noted that Z'aherien also had guards there. Not so stupid after all, he thought, deflecting bolts as he ran up the stairs.

Z'aherien scowled as the big Jedi somehow managed to cut down all of his guards. Well, desperate times... He grabbed a thermal detonator and climbed half out of a window of a room as Qui-Gon entered. "Stop right there!" he called, showing the Jedi the thermal detonator pressed in by his thumb. "Why do you chase me? I've done nothing to you, Jedi!" He almost laughed at the half-truth in his statement as he hung out of the window.

"Go ahead, Z'aherien," Qui-Gon said with a steely look in his eyes. "Throw it. If Obi-Wan dies I have nothing left to live for anyway."

Qui-Gon's answer didn't surprise the criminal. "Oh, but if I die then who would tell you the antidote that will kill the thing inside of your precious padawan?" He laughed loudly at the look of shock on the Jedi's face. "Oh, yes, I know it. I know what it is inside of him because I placed it there through a fruit that he loves. And I know what it is that can cure him. You would too if you knew what it was." He raised an eyebrow at the Jedi, asking silently what he wanted more?to see him dead, or to save his padawan?

Qui-Gon clenched his teeth, uncomprehending how the man before him could be so cruel to a sixteen year old boy. His gaze narrowed. A boy who's life was dwindling even as he went after the source. "I think Obi-Wan would rather you be brought to justice than to be cured and you allowed free reign," he snapped.

Z'aherien shook his head and leaned further out of the window, though he kept a firm grip on the thermal detonator. "Oh, perhaps, but wouldn't you like to see him live?"

"Just tell us what it is!" came a shout from the street below his window ledge. Z'aherien looked down to see anot

23. Rogue_JediKnight

Mar 19, 2002
    Ack! Poor Qui in chapter 4, glad to see that Kyran was there to help hold him together.

Okay, I am now reminded of why I would have made a lousy Jedi because I would have taken Z'aherien into custody and rooted around in his 'evil madman' brain for the info myself!

And please take Obi-Wan with you - load him onto a medical frigate or something but time is obviously of the essence here.

More when you can,
    Rogue

PS: Allergies and migraines suck :(

24. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Arwen- ah you made it here!! Glad to see. And I'm so nice I immediately got another chapter up. haha!

Rogue - yes, that might be a good thing, but he's so weak that Han'yaie doesn't want him out of his sight so it won't happen. Keep reading!!

25. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Qui... you know that was a hard decision.. but in the end Obi was more important. Ahhh Qui/Obi mush!

And angst!! Yoda ain't gonna tell Qui that info, eh? Prob best he didn't! Good ole troll was smart in that one! ;)

Great chappie! Hurry Qui!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.