main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Fire and Ice: Tainted....fourth in series... Lurker Appreciation Week has begun!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Durhelediel, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Durhelediel

Durhelediel Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar- Of course Qui made the right decision! Duh!! lol

2. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Six

Qui-Gon pushed the throttle of his borrowed ship as fast as it would go, rocketing toward space. He glanced at Kyran who was beside him in the co-pilot's seat. Kyran ignored him as he stretched above his head to work the controls so Qui-Gon turned back to the navicomputer, punching in the coordinates that they needed. In no time at all they reached hyperspace. Qui-Gon rubbed his face tiredly. Now there was nothing to do but wait.

"Lana, pick up," Kyran was saying into his hyperspace comm. They had left so quickly that he hadn't had a chance to see Lana or tell her what was going on. "Lana, pick up." He waited patiently and turned to Qui-Gon. "We'll get the antidote in time, Qui."

Qui-Gon sighed. "So certain are you?" he asked in a soft voice. Then he stood. "I'm going to go meditate."

The comm beeped as he moved away. "Kyran? This is an interspace transmission! Where in the Sith are you?" came Lana's tight voice.

"I'm with Qui-Gon," Kyran informed his wife. "I'm sorry, love, but the message we received indicated that we had to leave immediately. We didn't even have time to pack."

"What 'message'?" Her voice was angry...and scared. "What could possibly be so important that Qui-Gon would leave Obi-Wan like this?"

"The antidote." Kyran sighed deeply. "Lana, I didn't want to leave so soon but Obi-Wan has been infected with a Xanderian parasite."

Lana said something very unlady- and unJedilike.

Kyran winced at that. "I know. That was my reaction. That's why we had to leave so soon. We're hurrying as fast as we can." He glanced around to make sure Qui-Gon was out of earshot. "Somebody had to go with him to make sure that he would eat something and rest, which he hasn't done since this whole thing started. I doubt if he's even changed clothes since Obi-Wan fell ill."

Lana sighed, a loud sound over the comm. "Well, I'll stay by Obi-Wan...take him where he wants to go. You do know that if the antidote isn't administered within the first day..." She trailed off, then whispered, "Seven hells, this is the third day."

Kyran cursed violently hoping that Qui-Gon didn't hear him. "We're hurrying as fast as we can. We're already overheating the engines," Kyran said as he glanced at the ship's controls.

"Hurry home to us," Lana whispered. "I'll be here. Love you."

"We will," he promised. "I love you too. I need to go check and see how Qui-Gon is doing." He blew her a kiss over the comm and then thumbed it off. For just a few moments he allowed anger at the injustice of the universe allowing a monster to torture a young man to death to wash over him. Then he exhaled to let the anger go and wandered to the back of the ship to see about his friend.

---------

Lana sighed again as the comm went dead. She glanced over at Obi-Wan, hoping he was still asleep, but was surprised to find him awake. "How...how much did you hear?" she asked him, startled.

Obi-Wan blinked and yawned. "Nothing." He groaned softly as he tried to sit up and his muscles failed to move. "What's the matter?"

Lana cleared her throat. She desperately didn't want to be the one to tell him this. "Well, we know what's wrong with you now," she said kindly.

Obi-Wan frowned a little as his hands fumbled for the button his master had showed him earlier. Even the muscles in his hands and fingers did not seem to want to move. Finally, he managed to get the bed into a sitting position so he could see Lana better. "What is it?" he asked, keenly interested.

Lana glanced away. It was hard to look at him, knowing now what it was inside of his body, eating him alive. "It's a xanderian parasite," she whispered.

Obi-Wan frowned in confusion. "What's that?"

Lana thought she was going to be sick to her stomach. The boy didn't even know what the horrible, disgusting thing inside of him was? She forced herself to face him again and took one of his clammy hands, trying to ignore the way his skin slid in her grip: another sign of the xanderian parasite. "Well, um, it's ingested." She cleared her thro

3. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Poor Obi, poor Qui - this just can't be happening :_|

Definitely glad that the aliens are giving him the antidote anyway since where there is the Force, there is a way.

Just hurry Qui and Kyran.

4. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Rogue - ::hands you a box of tissues:: They're hurrying, they're hurrying...

Anyone else need a box of tissues? We've got plenty...

5. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Seven

Lana had her head in her hands. Day four for Obi-Wan, and he wasn't doing well. He had made it through the holovid yesterday, but then had had a seizure. Bant had ran and gotten Han'yaie and Obi-Wan was rushed back to the healer's ward. He was in a new wing now...the Josel-Jinn Ward. Lana had finally fallen asleep in a chair outside his room, but not for long. The only thing that she was aware of was that it was sometime the next day and that Han'yaie was gazing at her.

"What is it?" she asked as she came more awake. "Is Qui-Gon back yet?"

Han'yaie shook his head. "No, but they did contact me during the night. They are on their way back. Give them two and a half days. I wouldn't have woken you at all, dear, but Obi-Wan finally woke and is asking for someone."

Lana immediately stood up and headed into Obi-Wan's room. "Obi-Wan?"

Obi-Wan forced his eyes open, though they felt like sandpaper. "Lana?" he asked, his voice raw and cracking with exhaustion. He had just woken up, yet felt as if he hadn't slept in days. What was that parasite doing to him?

She took his hand gently. "Qui-Gon is on his way back," she said rubbing the back of his hand soothingly. She tried not to notice how the color of his skin had changed to an ugly yellowish-brown.

"I want...Qui-Gon..." he moaned, coughing deeply. His heart now felt heavy inside of his chest. How long did he have? He was so exhausted. Could he wait, could he possibly hold on long enough, for Qui-Gon's return?

Tears stung Lana's eyes. "I know. He'll be here in two and a half days. He's hurrying as fast as he can."

Obi-Wan tried to sigh but couldn't get enough air in his lungs to do it. He coughed hard, choking on blood. His eyes widened and he started to panic as he couldn't draw a breath.

"Han'yaie!!" Lana screeched through the comm. "Obi-Wan's not breathing!"

Han'yaie must have been in the hall because he immediately burst into the room. "Obi-Wan! Obi-Wan, breathe!" He anxiously watched Obi-Wan's face turning beet red as the young man fought for air. "He's not breathing!" He raced over to the wall and quickly keyed his code into it. A section popped out that had various medical apparatus in it. He took a breather connected to a long, transparent cord attached to the wall and pulled the breather over Obi-Wan's face. Then he pounded Obi-Wan hard in the back. "Breathe!" he ordered.

After a moment, Obi-Wan finally was able to suck in the precious oxygen that was being blown in his face from the breather mask. Once he started breathing again he didn't stop, but his face stayed pink and his eyes watered.

Lana's eyes were wide and frightened. She held Obi-Wan's hand tightly after Han'yaie had placed the breather around his face so that he could easily get more air. "Better?" she asked, knowing it was a stupid thing to ask yet it was the only thing that she could think of.

Obi-Wan nodded and his eyes drooped. He was so very tired...

Han'yaie motioned for Lana to follow him into the corridor.

Lana let go of Obi-Wan's hand reluctantly and followed him out into the corridor, though she glanced back at Obi-Wan, tears flowing down her face. "He's not going to live much longer is he?" she asked once they were out of Obi-Wan's earshot. She hugged her arms around herself for comfort.

Han'yaie seemed to be composing himself?not a good sign for a Healer. He laid a hand on her shoulder. "Lana, I'm afraid that Qui-Gon won't be back in time."

Lana sat down hard in the chair outside Obi-Wan's room. "What? He's going to die before Qui-Gon gets here? But he'll be here in two days!"

"He doesn't have two days," Han'yaie told her, still in that gentle tone. "I'll be surprised if the Force grants him one more. The xanderian parasite is at his heart now and I'm surprised it's taking him this long. He's a fighter." He looked proud.

Tears flowed faster down Lana's cheeks, blurring her vision. "But ..." She paused for a few long minutes. "Does Qui-Gon know?"

Han'yaie shook his head. "It is up to you on who tells

6. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great work!!! :_| Total Obi & Qui angst! How sad!!! A pity there isn't any liquid Schwartz that they could put in the fuel tank! That'd make them go faster! ;)

Awesome work!!!

7. Rogue_JediKnight

Mar 19, 2002
    Another box please :_|

I can only believe that the Force will provide [-o|

Another great job,
    Rogue

8. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar- liquid Schwartz!!!!! hahahahaha

Rogue - ::hands you another tissue box:: One more chappy to this little fic...

9. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Chapter Eight

Bant tried to stop him as he came rushing into the Healer's Ward, but the big Jedi was just too strong for her. Master Han'yaie had told her to stand watch for his return, to delay him, to keep him from seeing what was in that room.

It was like trying to halt an out-of-control speeder.

Qui-Gon broke Bant's hold as he rushed to the door where Lana had told him they had moved Obi-Wan to, then let out a strangled cry of protest as he suddenly felt the bond that he shared with Obi-Wan snap.

"Obi-Wan!" he screamed, ignoring the fact that other Jedi were around watching him.

The door opened to his touch. Lana was bent over Obi-Wan's still chest, her long black hair draped over his face like a curtain, weeping uncontrollably. Han'yaie and Master Yoda were standing, staring at Obi-Wan as if the mere weight of their gazes could bring him back.

Qui-Gon shook his head wildly, unable to believe what had just happened. "No! Why aren't you doing anything about it?" he shouted at Han'yaie. "Why aren't you trying to bring him back?"

Han'yaie glanced up at him and his eyes were pools of grief. "There is nothing I can do. He was suffering, but is not anymore."

Yoda openly let his own tears flow. "Gone he is, Qui-Gon."

"There is hope!" Qui-Gon thrust the antidote at the healer. "He can't be gone?I found the way to cure him. I found it," he wildly denied even as tears streamed down his cheeks.

Lana let lose a wail at his grief and backed herself into a corner, hiding her face from him.
    Han'yaie just glanced at the antidote. "Qui-Gon, it won't help now. He's One with the Force," he said very, very gently.

Qui-Gon's gaze narrowed. "I can't believe none of you are even going to try. Fine. I'll do it myself," he said as he headed towards his apprentice. He very gently uncapped the bottle and opened the padawan's mouth, pouring it down his throat, ignoring the tears that streaked down his cheeks to fall onto Obi-Wan's still face.

Obi-Wan's mouth was slack, his skin a mottled yellow and brown from the parasite. His eyes were closed, the breathing mask?no longer needed?hanging to the side of the bed. His chest was still and his heart did not move, yet the thick liquid poured into and down his throat to travel into his system. Some of the liquid trailed down Obi-Wan's slack jaw and all eyes in the room were suddenly on the unmoving body.

Qui-Gon sank hard into a chair next to Obi-Wan's beside. "Please, Obi-Wan, don't leave me. Come back," he pleaded, watching his padawan for any sign of returning life.

Han'yaie did not speak to him, but took the sobbing Lana out of the room, leaving Qui-Gon with Obi-Wan and Yoda.

Yoda slowly approached Qui-Gon, grief in his face, ears and eyes. "Gone he is, Qui-Gon," he repeated softly. "Too late it is."

Qui-Gon shook his head. "It can't be too late," he said hoarsely through his tears.

"A better place he is in. One with the Force," Yoda told him in a grandfatherly kind of tone. "Watching over you now he is."

"No! He has to be here! He didn't leave me?he didn't..." Qui-Gon said frantically as he probed the Force for his padawan's strong signature and couldn't find it. "Obi-Wan..." he said in a small voice. "Please, come back..."

Kyran rushed in, then stopped so quickly in his tracks that he looked as if he had run into something. "No..." he breathed, staring down at the still body on the bed. He shook his head and backed up, hitting the wall. "No..."

Qui-Gon took his padawan's hand and noted with horror that it was cold instead of warm like it normally was. "Oh, padawan..." he said in-between sobs, "now wasn't your time."

"Holds him the Force does, Qui-Gon," Yoda said softly as he walked toward the door. "Alone you should be." Kyran turned, dazed, at the green master's comments. He just couldn't believe that they were too late, that it had all been for nothing. Stunned, he allowed Yoda to lead him out of the room where Han'yaie took him to Lana in a soundproof room. Holding his inconsolable wife, he finally

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    You KILLED him????? You killed Obi-Wan?????? [face_devil] Grrrrrrrrr. Sigh, it was well-done. But darn, you killed him. Goes off grumbling....grumble... grumble.... she killed him... grumble....

11. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Diane- ::clears throat:: First of all, it's not "she killed him", its "WE killed him" ::evil laughter::

And yes, we did. Our plan was to shock our lurkers out of hiding. I think it worked rather well, don't you? lol

12. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhhh wow!!! Wickedly done! *Sniff* and right when he arrived... :_| poor Qui!!!

Poor Obi too... he tried to hold on for his Master... wow.. he held on for two more days? Wowzers...

At least Lana has someone to hold her while she cries... poor Qui doesn't!!!

GREAT JOB!! Excellently played out!!!!!

13. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Okay, you both killed him. And the lurker thing worked but I HATE it when people kill off Obi-Wan. Darn! Still goes away.... grumbling.... dead, dead, dead....:_|

14. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Kynstar- ::gets knocked over by enthusiasm and praise:: ep! But thanks! We worked hard on it. And of course Obi waited two more days. (My personal thinking--and it might not be popular--is that Obi-Wan was in fact The One to bring balance...::catches self:: Ooo gotta get off this soap box before it starts...) Anyways, he's our lovable Obi. He waited until Death claimed him.

Diane- Believe it or not, I hate Obi killing stories too, but we were both feeling vicious. Plus we still had our bet going on. lol

15. Rogue_JediKnight

Mar 19, 2002
    Ack! If you were out to shock the lurkers think of what you did to your loyal readers :_| :eek:

I'm speechless and not talking to ya'll [face_not_talking]

Okay (so I'm fickle, sue me :D :p)

I can only hope that this is all a horrible dream or Obi-Wan suddenly returns from the Force especially for Qui-Gon's sake.

Another great job, just let me know where to send the Kleenex bill.

Rogue

16. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    WHAT?? I finally get here, read three posts only to find that you've killed him!!! Okay, that next part had better be up soon and there better be SOME hope or I'll be crying for the next year and a half!

17. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Rogue- Ah, yes. Well, the loyal readers needed to be shocked awake as well. heehee And send the kleenex bill to Layren for this one.

Arwen- Yay! You caught up! Nice to see you :} And the next part of the series should be up by tonight. Well, the first chapter of it anyways.

18. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Allllllllllllllllll right you readers!!!!!!! Darkness Forever, chap 1 is up. Go to it!! ::dives behind cover as stampede rushes by::

19. M-vampier

M-vampier Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2004
    I'm speechless......

20. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Vampier- good! That's what we were aiming for! heehee.... ::counts on fingers the number of lurkers popping out::

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Catching up here... and I really dreaded reading this. What with the 5th part being up and seeing what happens to Obi-Wan here. Still, I was a good reader and sat and just about cried :( :( okay I did cry, are you happy now?

Everyone else just stood around while Obi-Wan breathed his last breath. That was just heart wrenching!

22. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    Leona- We both cried when we wrote it, if it makes you feel better. lol

23. JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L

JEDI-KNIGHTS_R_L Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 21, 2004

Oh no you didn't, oh no you didn't. How could you do such a terible thing. you could have at lest let Qui Gon be there. I realy teared up reading this. way to go.

24. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    OMG! I can't believe you killed him!!!
    ::sniff sniff:: very poignant and well written but just sooo sad!!

25. Durhelediel

Mar 5, 2004
    JediKnights- Yes we killed him yes we killed him. lol Surprise!

Snow- Thanks! We worked hard on this. Glad you liked it, even though it was sad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.