main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    gg - will be tough to make up that difference, even at home.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    Is it possible to sign Balotelli to MLS?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That was an insane performance from Columbus last night. The final goal from Afful was just a thing of beauty. I have no idea what the NYCFC defenders are doing/thinking. But that's one of the best goals I've ever seen a defender score. To respond after NYC got the away goal - because, let's be honest, with their attack, ""only" needing a two-goal win doesn't seem like a tall mountain to climb. But "win by three and don't give up any goals, or if you do, don't give up more than one" seems incredibly steep.

The other goals were just fun. An early goal on a fantastic poach from Kamama - right place, right time. The second was beautiful work from Artur. And the third was just a straight-up howler for Sean Johnson.

The Red Card changed everything, and I have no idea why NYCFC didn't park the bus and try to escape down 1-0. To push your fullbacks forward in attack, down a man, in an aggregate series just, to me, shows a lack of situational awareness. As a Crew fan, I'd have been happy with a 1-0. I was thrilled with 2-0, and I'm ecstatic over 4-1.

Also, gotta that awkward moment when the team you own just took a 2-0 lead in the playoffs, but you're kind of upset because you want to move them to Austin:

[​IMG]

Kinda reminds me of this:

[​IMG]

I would also have loved to hear the conversation between Anthony Precourt and his daughter as the Nordecke was chanting "**** you Precourt"

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I love being right. Harrison Afful's stoppage time goal in Columbus was the difference. In how the team's approached the game and, ultimately, in who advanced.

Heels - be proud of your boys. NYCFC seems to be learning how to operate in this league, which is scary. When they replace Pirlo with a DP who actually sees playing time, they will be a scary team. But, for Columbus, onto another Conference Final. The ask is very tall - TFC might be the best team ever assembled in MLS history. But, Giovinco and Altidore are out for game one, Altidore possibly for even longer, and Bradely is one yellow away from missing the second leg. Columbus needs to take care of business in the first leg, especially without the two most important pieces of the TFC attack.

I'm going to enjoy the ride - and the years it takes off my life - but I'm starting to think this team has the look of a team of destiny.

heels1785 likes this.
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I didn't catch the full game, unfortunately. I am okay with the result, though, Columbus moving forward.

As long as we keep Viera, I think we keep moving forward. With 2-3 more years of Villa at the front, we have to build that midfield up. The defense took a big step forward this year, hugely in part to Johnson, and the improvement he represents from Saunders.

Good luck against Toronto - I'll be pulling for you guys.

6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Pure class from The Third Rail Supporters Group in NYC, too. From their welcoming atmosphere pre-game to the travelling Crew fans, to their support of #SaveTheCrew, to this tweet after the game. The love Columbus is getting from Supporters Groups all over the league is making it really hard for me to hate any fan base.

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Brad Friedel in as the new manager in New England.

A few thoughts:

Great for him to get a breakthrough. He's got a fantastic mind for the game, and I think can develop into a fantastic manager. I see both him and Cherundolo as possible future USMNT managers.
    I hate when people I like go to organizations I hate.
    Seriously, New England is a **** organization. **** Kraft.
    Interesting to see if he can succeed in MLS and parlay that into something overseas. His pedigree from the EPL is fantastic, and might give him an edge where others have had barriers.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    He certainly deserved to be fired as US coach, but Klinsi‘s goal of the year from 1987, against Bayern no less, is still awesome

9. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    how did the us not qualify just watched australia beat honduras how did they finish above you they're terrible

10. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
  11. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    BAD BAD preparation.

If the US had tied or beaten T&T, they would have been directly qualified for the WC though.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Strilo - Caleb Porter out in Portland. Stunning, if you ask me. Appears to be a power struggle.

I'm going to make a wild prediction that Patrick Vieira heads to Europe to manage a team there, and Porter ends up at NYCFC. Alternatively, I could see Porter making a push for the USMNT job (though the Olympic Qualifying Stain is probably a bit too soon to make him a popular choice with the fan base) or possibly being hired by one of the Expansion Teams (Nashville?) to build that team from the ground up.

13. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't see why it's stunning. He came to Portland to improve things, win a cup and he did. It seems to me that Porter just wants to move on to the next challenge.

14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    viera won't leave this year. legitimate title contenders next year, and if he can do that just four seasons into franchise existence, he'll be viewed (and paid) as a kingmaker.

there is such a huge gap in both the premier league and ligue 1 (the two most feasible landing spots) between the haves and the have-nots - there is absolutely no point in jumping ship from an upper tier MLS side to go manage west ham or even marsaille. arsenal in a year, monaco in a year, maybe.

i think i've convinced myself now. viera won't leave this year. yeah. carry on.

15. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Is there any word on who will take over the men‘s national team? Or even by when they‘ll make an announcement?

16. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    My hunch is they are going to wait until after the USSF Presidential Election, so that the person elected as President (c'mon, Kyle Martino) can chart that course. Would be really tough to hire a manager and then elect a President to just kinda live with it. The US has a friendly scheduled in January, but nothing competitive until the Gold Cup in 2019, so there shouldn't be a rush to get someone hired, just to check the box.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I'm okay with the scoreless draw last night. Keeping Toronto from getting an away goal is a decent takeaway. Frustrated that it took so long to get Manneh in the game and push Afful higher. The best chances came when that happened, and Afful is unlucky to have not grabbed a goal. Big ask to go into Toronto and not lose, especially with Jozy and Giovinco coming back, and Artur suspended. Kind of hoping Berhalter goes with a more attack-minded lineup without Artur and starts Manneh, alongside Meram and Pedro, rather than doing a straigut sub for Abu.

Also, **** you, Michael Bradley. You are a piece of ****. You quit on your own talent to run away from Europe and you are one of the main reasons we didn't qualify for Russia 2018. You got lackadaisical and have no idea what pressure looks like, and you wilted against mighty Trinidad and Tobago. And now, to run your mouth about Columbus, one of the few places with true American soccer history and lore? **** you. To say "you feel for the small group of loyal supporters that they have" and "this is one of a few markets that has not kept pace" ... **** you. I hope Josh Williams, the first true homegrown player in the league, destroys you next week. Josh Williams has a tenth of your natural talent but a million times your heart. If the USMNT had 11 Josh Williams starting, they'd never lose to T&T. **** you. I hope Zac Steffen stands on his head and repeatedly denies the high priced you, Jozy, and Gio and you sit on your millions of dollars and watch MLS Cup Final, just like you'll be watching the World Cup you heartless piece of ****.

yankee8255 and heels1785 like this.
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    i detest michael bradley, almost as much as arena.

ma_petite likes this.
  19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    If he was smart, he would never have left Gladbach, great place for developing young talent.

DarthIntegral likes this.
  20. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Not much time for sports the last week, but watched most of Columbus vs Toronto Leg 2 in the conference finals.

A bit of a bitter pill to swallow. The chances were there, especially late, and Columbus just couldn't finish. The team roped me into believing in the possibility of a team if destiny, taken to another level when Zach Steffen saved the penalty in the first half. Alas, not enough offense. Ola Kamara couldn't finish, I would have liked more Kekutah Manneh, and a better bench option than Adam Jahn. Alas.

The real fight in Columbus continues, as we attempt to #SaveTheCrew. It's beyond any doubt that PSV have no intention to actually try in Columbus. Partnership offers, land offers, stadium proposals, and local business investment have all been offered, and still, PSV just wants Austin.

Steffen adds another painful winkle to this. Such a fantastic young keeper would normally be a bright spot without blemish, but the thought of him playing in Austin AND for the USMNT turns my stomach. If they steal the Crew, I guess I can only hope they sell Steffen to Europe before a game in Austin (Hello, Dortmund?).

I'll be finished with MLS if they move Columbus. I'll move iv to supporting AFC Cleveland and Harpos FC.

21. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Got to go with Toronto today.

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Because MLS isn't enough of a cluster **** on day-to-day issues. Toronto wins both the Supporters Shield and MLS Cup. But, because they are from Canada, are ineligible to participate in CONCACAF Champions League via winning either. But, that's not as big of a mess as we think, because with CONCACAF changing the format, nobody from this season is actually qualifying for anything until 2019. And the Supporters Shield winners don't qualify this year or next, just the Open Cup Winners and MLS Cup Winners, unless they are Canadian.

What makes it a true mess is that MLS is unclear on how they will allocate a birth should a team either qualify through two of the available four slots or an ineligible team claim one of them. Some outlets have claimed that NYCFC has locked up a birth, as the highest point total earner from this season. However, other outlets report that the birth will be given to the team with the best aggregate record over this season and last.

LOL @ MLS.

23. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Major League Soccer: We need to move Columbus Crew to Austin because their stadium is outside of downtown and located on the fairgrounds, making it untenable for growth.

Also Major League Soccer: We are awarding an expansion franchise to Nashville, because they are going to build a stadium outside of downtown, located on the fairgrounds.

I swear to all that is holy, if they relocate the Crew, I am done with MLS.

heels1785 likes this.