main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    And, for my USOC post ...

Crew won, but barely. Couldn't take advantage, for the most part, of a 75-minute man-advantage against a lower division side. Gave up an equalizer late, but found a goal near the end to eek it out. Now we get to play the Fire. Maybe if we win that one we actually get to face a real MLS side?

LOL @ Sounders. Lost to Tampa Bay Rowdies. Had a Penalty with about 10 minutes to go that would have equalized, but couldn't convert.

I'd LOL @ Galaxy but, meh - they didn't even try.

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, at least Jermaine Jones was consistent in having one bone-headed tackle per match!

The back four need to get some sort of chemistry. They're clearly not comfortable playing together.

A lot of Bad and Ugly, but it's always nice to see American Outlaws gear on ESPN, and the crowd reaction for Holden's return was nice.

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Jones had a good game overall, though. I thought he, Dempsey, and Zusi were the three best Americans in the field.

4. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Oh, yes, Jones was fine. He just couldn't get through 90 without getting a yellow card. :p

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Of course not. He knows thousands of AOs watching on tv are counting on that for their drinking game!

Darth McClain likes this.
  6. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Double LOL @ Chivas USA.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I thought that the US played fine- sure, the cohesion is not there yet at the back- but good grief, Belgium is a loaded side. Putting a goal in on that defense when led by Kompany is an accomplishment. I believe the PK came after he'd subbed out, but still.

Was disappointed that I didn't get to see Courtois in net, but De Bruyne was awfully sharp.

8. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    I know they went in with little caps in the D, but they need to show me way more.

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
  10. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    More disappointment: the two teams I was rooting for both went out in the Quarterfinals of Copa Libertadores. Xolos went out tonight on away goals, a 1-1 result on the road against Atletico Mineiro not enough to cancel out a 2-2 home result. Still, a great first showing for their first trip to the tournament. And, last night, Boca Juniors lost on Penalties - 10-9 in Penalties. Which, by the way, is an absurd level to get to in a PK shootout. Boca Juniors had a chance to win it on the 5th and 9th penalties, but couldn't get it done, and Newell's Old Boys go through on the 13rd round of PKs.

Nice balance to the semifinals, though. Brazil vs. Argentina and Columbia vs. Paraguay.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Now you can root for the Timbers!

12. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Well, on the plus side, you don't have to root for a Mexican side anymore. :p

So, preliminary Gold Cup 2013 rosters game out today...big news is that Donovan is on the roster. Glad to see that. There's also a chance to cap-tie Mix Diskerud, who has a great name.

13. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Sunday vs Germany should be interesting.

14. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The USMNT will get their asses kicked by Germany...

15. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, I don't have a good feeling about it. If it happens, what's it do for morale ahead of the WC qualifiers?

16. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    I don't think Germany will be playing full squad. I think hey have some key injuries. I Poe for a good game at least.

17. darth_gersh

Feb 18, 2005
    Germany in green?

What a crazy start.
    2?

18. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Altidore!! And now NEUER with an error!?! 2-0 :eek:

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well this is certainly interesting.

Leighton Baines off with an injury vs. Brazil.

20. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Turns out it's not Neuer- I should check line-ups in friendlies [face_blush]

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Here is Marc-Andre ter Stegen's blunder:

22. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    First of all - HOLY ****. I wouldn't have believed that if I didn't see it with my own eyes. Even with a "B" team, even in a friendly, to go up 4-1 on Germany and beat them? Amazing.

Second ...

You're German Robert Green
    You're German Robert Green
    You're Robert Green You're Robert Green
    You're German Robert Green!

Third ...

HELL of a game, Jozy Altidore! 'Bout time! It's amazing what a slight change in formation and some actual service can do for a guy and his confidence. Loved the goal, loved the assist, and love the way he fought through challenges to win the ball, win fouls, and create chances. Even with Dempsey's brace (and his amazing Golazo), Jozy was my easy choice for MOTM.

We all dream of a team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    And number one, is Altidore.
    And number two, is Altidore.
    And number three, is Altidore.
    And number four, is Altidore.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    And number five, is Altidore.
    And number six, is Altidore.
    And number seven, is Altidore.
    And number eight, is Altidore.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    And number nine, is Altidore.
    And number ten, is Altidore.
    And number eleven, is Altidore.
    And off the bench, is Altidore!
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores.
    A team of Altidores,
    A team of Altidores

Fourth ...

Nice to see some good choices from Klinsmann. I was surprised/put off when I saw Evans starting. And where he was starting. What a great choice. A great game from Brad. Zusi is getting better and better every time he plays for the Nats. He doesn't have the speed for a top-flight European league, but I think he's going to test his game over there. And with games like this one (and the one against Belgium, and the game against Jamaica last year, and etc.) he's earning it. And, for about 60 minutes, the defense looked mainly competent. Some squeaky bum time at the end, but for the bulk of the match, they seemed nicely organized. Can we just have Omar and Beisler as the starters at CB going forward?

Finally ...

Good to have you back, Michael Bradley. This team is so much different with the General. Clearly, the most important player we have (more than Dempsey, more than Howard, more than Donovan, more than Jozy, more than anyone).

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003

[face_laugh]

24. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    GOAL! And it's Baby Horse! Morgan's got the US up 1-0 over Canada in the 70th!

Chance for a sweep during the Centennial Celebration!

25. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Make that two. She's fantastic.