main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The Old Title Was Way Too Long: USMNT/MLS Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth McClain, Apr 25, 2010.

1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I didn't wtach the 2nd half, but I agree that the announcers are hard to follow. The british guy Tyler is good and very knowledgable but he speaks very low and is often drowned out by crowd noise and such.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    World Cup icons are up!

3. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Awesome!

Can't wait for the World Cup matches to start!

I went to the France - Tunisia friendly in Tunis last week (long story), and despite being outclassed, Tunisia managed to score the opening goal. France did find an equalizer in the second half, and that pretty much took the crowd out of it. Still, it was a blast to attend in person, even if getting a taxi back to the hotel was a big of a nightmare...

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    about to get underway! I'm actually watching this first match. Let's go Bafana Bafana!

5. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    The technical difficulties in the production for ESPN have been sort of funny so far. I've been watching for ten minutes and they've already botched two interview segments. lol

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    That (technical difficulties, no audio and/or video feed) happened a lot in their UEFA cup coverage, too.

Stadium looks breathtaking, though. It's got to be just electric there.

edit: And, I'm really starting to appreciate/love the pageantry behind the start of international soccer/football games.

7. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    The mosquito swarms are back in full force!

And we're off!

8. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Early on, Mexico looks much crisper and more cohesive. Don't know if that's the talent level, or just South Africa pressing too hard in their home country ...

9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    South Africa strikes first! 1-0 RSA!

10. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Sets up for an interesting group.

Uruguay will beat France

11. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Mexico managed to tie it up late and the match ended in a draw. Definitely should be an interesting group. One hour until game 2.

12. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    The World Cup needs to be more like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. I want opening day to last all day with back-to-back-to-back matches if it's really going to hold my interest.

13. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Well starting tomorrow there will be 3 games a day. But one very early in the morning. Not sure if that one is worth it, because Greece is the dullest team in the tournament.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The UK and Europe definitely win out time zone-wise this time. Kickoffs here are 12:30 pm, 3:00 pm, and 7:30 pm.

15. IntyMobile

IntyMobile Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 22, 2009
    I might just watch the Greece game ... if only because my gym only gets about ten channels :p.

Got the USA game set to DVR in case I am not back from my tee time in time.

16. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Korea looks off to a good start, and I'm going to bed with that.

17. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Yeah, Korea are up 2-nil. Not much of a match right now.

18. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I don't know if it was the level of quality or the fact that I had to watch the first half in standard definition (no HD at the gym), but this game just didn't grab my attention at all.

19. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    I think it's the game itself rather than the HD/lack thereof. I think that Argentina/Nigeria should be more exciting to watch than this one. Also, I still need to get my computer and a TV in the same room...[face_plain]

20. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    I found this game much better than the Uruguay/France game of yesterday

21. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Alright, time for game number 2 of the day. Rooting for Argentina, but not sure that they'll win.

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Argentina looking very dangerous on their attacks

23. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    Argentina had a great first half...if they keep that effort up, they should score another goal or two. Nigeria's keeper has had some very good saves, especially the one against Messi.

24. Darth McClain

Feb 5, 2000
    And the USA ended up with a tie! I'll take that. England's Green made a terrible blunder, allowing Dempsey to get the equalizer for the USA. Howard had a good game as keeper for the Americans after allowing an early goal.

25. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I haven't gotten a chance to watch the game yet (just got in, DVRed it), but reading the recaps and everything ... very happy the US got a draw. I wasn't expecting a win, so getting the draw is about what I was hoping for. Glad (from the sound of things) that the defensive play was very good, especially against a team like England with a super star like Rooney.