main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Firefly Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by ObeyTheFist, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObeyTheFist

ObeyTheFist Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2004
    Is anyone here thinking of making a firefly costume for the movie release this fall?

2. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yeppers. Actually, I'm planning on one even sooner, for Comic-Con. I want to make Kaylee's pink fluffy Shindig dress, because won't it be fun to navigate around 70,000 people in an enormous hoopskirt?

For the screening next week (we're going to the Vegas one), the husband and I are going to try and thrift-store some Wash- and Zoe-type clothes.

Caitlin

3. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'm dressing up as well...just haven't figured out what costume. ;)

The Shindig dress is a possibility, but I'm not sure that's very accomidating for me in a movie theater. :)

4. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    I want to throw a Kaylee costume together - but my favorite is probably Inara's Shindig costume. I love Zoe's vest a lot too! :)

5. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    I love so many of Inara's dresses, but I'll have to admire the form-fitting ones from afar. :)

I saw a cool production shot from the Big Damn Movie-- no spoilers, don't worry-- that showed Inara in an outfit with pants! It actually looked a little bit like a Jedi outfit, which I thought was neat.

6. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    yeah there are some great ones... I will be doing a Zoe costume

7. SWCostumer

SWCostumer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 31, 2005
    I will probably (also) be making the big fluffy pink dress, mostly because she is short and it is just silly.

8. Commander__Wright

Commander__Wright Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2000
    Hmm, haven't thought about making a costume at all. It would be a Wash costume if I did. :p Wash rocks. I'm thrilled to see other Firefly fans on here. :D

9. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    yeah, same here - i wasn't sure if anyone else was thinking of their clothing.

10. Verdaera

Verdaera Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    :p I missed getting tickets for the Vegas early showing. But do you live here?! If so are you going to the September premiere also, because I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the Layered Cake ;)

*also, too chicken to wear a costume to a movie because I have no silly fool friends here that'll do it with me :p

11. Lord_Dantes

Lord_Dantes Jedi Youngling

May 17, 2005
    First Post...WHoooHooo!!!

My youngest sister is going to London in November for the convention. She wants me to make her and her friend's vests and gowns for it. It should be fun!!

12. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    We got our costumes done in time for the screening, hurray!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/DSCN7674.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/zoewashclose.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/zoewashfull.jpg]

We won't be at the Vegas premiere in September though, because a) we actually live in San Diego and b) we'll be in Boston anyway at the time of the premiere. *g*

Caitlin

13. Isabella

Isabella Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 4, 2005
    Those are cool! I'm glad there are other Firefly fans, my husband dug this show so much that it was a sign of relief when we saw it was coming to the big screen! Fox was really silly to cancel it and not give it it's full chance.

Your costumes look great! :) I can't wait for this movie!

14. Orcagal

Orcagal Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2004
    were any of you guys at the firefly serenity convention at the end of april? i saw some great costumes made there, may be able to dig out some pics.

15. Deltarat

Deltarat Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    My first post, and what do I find...Firefly fans!!! I love that show and can't wait for the movie!!!
    The Zoe and Wash costumes look awesome! Great job!

I'm trying to put together a Mal costume now. There's a costume party I'm going to and that's who I want to be. The party is in September, but before the movie. I want everyone to ask who I'm supposed to be so I can tell them to go see the movie. LOL!

Right now, trying to find the coat and someone to build me a prop gun. I have lots of screenshots of it, and I think I know the real gun that was modified to build it.

16. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    Jaina that looks great! I am jealous... guess i need to get working on it soon...

17. setra

setra Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2005
    Firefly? umm... what's that?

18. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Thanks guys! I think they turned out pretty well for being thrown together in two days. :-D

Caitlin

19. ObeyTheFist

Oct 18, 2004
    firefly? it was a wonderful tv series that was taken off the air and was optioned for a movie. Unfortunatly, even though the fans begged and pleeded the movie execs won't let the now movie be a series again. Its from the same guy who did Buffy - Josh Whendon.

20. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Small correction-- it's Joss, not Josh.

Okay folks, here's a question: do we think Kaylee is wearing a corset under her Shindig dress? I was screencapping it yesterday and it did seem like there was a color difference between her shoulders/upper chest and her bust. The top part was more sheer and the lower part more opaque, as if there were a white corset (or similar) that ended just above her bust. (If people would like the screencaps [about a hundred of Kaylee, Mal, and Inara at the party] I could throw them up on my website.)

Caitlin

21. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    I'd love the screen caps! I have no way to do that with my computer...d'oh!

Interesting about the corest though. I'll have to dig out the DVD's and take a look. I suppose it could be very possible...

22. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    Without seeing the screencaps, I'd say it's probably a good idea to wear a corset. It's really a lot more comfortable to wear one with a hoop-it prevents the skirts from digging into your waist. And with skirts and a hoop that large, they'd really dig in a lot :)

I'm rather anxious to see how this one turns out. Very fun costume :)

23. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Your costumes look great, JainaMSolo! The dinosaurs are a cute touch! :D

I'm considering making a costume to wear when the movie comes out, though I can't decide which one to make.

24. anyte

anyte Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2005
    Oh, I'm totally thinking about it. I'm in the same boat as starfire-phoenix, I can't decide what costume. Maybe River...I'll just curl up naked in a big metal box. Nah...

25. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Ah, Katherine, just the girl I was hoping to see! I'm thinking maybe one of the Laughing Moon corsets would be good underneath-- what do you think?

Thanks for the compliments, guys. We definitely had to have dinosaurs-- we figured no matter what my husband was wearing, if he had dinosaurs, people would know he was supposed to be Wash. *g*

Caitlin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.