main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Non Star Wars Firefly Costumes

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by ObeyTheFist, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Koshka-the-Cat

Koshka-the-Cat Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    :)

The Laughing Moon corsets are excellent. Either one would be perfect under the dress. With the Silverado I'd recommend either putting in the hip gores or widening the bottom a bit, since it doesn't do much for the hip/waist ratio as is, but that's a really easy fix. It's actually more comfortable with a little more room in the hips too. Adding hip gores is even mentioned in the instructions. I love this pattern though, and it's very rare that I actually find a pattern that I find tolerable, let alone love, so that's a rather Big Deal :)

Then, of course, there's the added bonus of bodices being much easier to fit over corsets. Another nice thing about them :)

2. PadawansGuide

PadawansGuide Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 26, 2002
    Caitlin, is that your husband as Wash? That is such a great Wash costume! I love the plastic dinosaur. Nice touch! You both look great!

3. Orcagal

Orcagal Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2004
    Ok, in response to your queries:

Deltarat - i can give you the contacts of a guy who may be able to make u a replica gun, he does props etc, posts a lot at starfury.

JainaMSolo - From what i remember of jewels mention of this outfit, there was some undertop - possibly a corset, i cant exactly remember. I know she said it was a pain to sit down in!! A couple of people at the serenity con did this dress, i know one of them had a corset undertop.

~Orca

4. JainaMSolo

JainaMSolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 19, 2001
    Yep, Maggie, that's him! Thanks. :)

Okay, new question: the ruffles on the skirt, are they chiffon, organza, or something else?

5. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    RE:Ruffles

I'd do tulle. They look like some kind of tulle or net to me, and it wouldn't require finishing the edges of every ruffle like organza or chiffon would. They're in select colors, not fading, so I think you could get tulle in the right shades.

6. Deltarat

Deltarat Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    Orcagal, That would be great if you could give me some contact info/ website of someone doing prop Mal guns. I've found two. One in the UK, does great work, but the shipping would kill me. Another in the US. Would like to see another to compare prices, etc. Thanks! Just email me if you like.

deltarat@bellsouth.net

7. Orcagal

Orcagal Jedi Youngling

Jun 9, 2004
    the guy i know works from the uk, so i guess shipping would be ur problem again.

the address of his site:

http://www.ronincreative.freeservers.com/fxlab.htm

8. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Hey guys!

I actually just put together Kaylee's Shindig gown for Balticon.

In an interview on Browncoats.org, costume designer Shawna Trpcic says she made the top of the dress out of an antique sari, and then used chiffon for the ruffles. She also describes the dress as being made of 'aged silk' in the episode commentary, and says they borrowed the hoop petticote from the Fox lot-- it's from "The King and I."

Concerning the bodice: If you get a look at the back, you can see pretty clearly that there's no external corset-- the bodice appears to be seperate from the skirt, but it's one piece itself. I believe the gathered overlayer on the front is the 'aged silk' she was referring to-- I used the same chiffon I used for the ruffles. The back is made in two pieces with a seam down the center-- I added an invisible zipper to make it easier to get into it.

I'll try to get some pictures up-- in the interim, anyone making this dress can feel free to PM me about it. I've got several screencaps I'm happy to share, and I can point towards the resources I used when researching the materials and drafting the pattern.

9. Deltarat

Deltarat Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2005
    LOL! That's actually the guy I already contacted about the gun! hehe, he sent me a pic of a Mal gun he did. Great work! It's beautiful. Just can't get under the other price I got because of shipping. Thanks for the heads up though!

10. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    PadawanRoo - your Kaylee gown was great! Actually I loved both Kaylee costumes!

My friend Ed got a pic that I'm temporarily putting here. It's so cute! :)

http://maggiem.MauiMail.com/IMG_677.jpg

11. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    Wash without little plastic dinosaurs would be like Jayne without his cunning hat! LOL!! Great costumes!!
    What? No Jaynes hat?
    [image=http://www.wearwithstyle.com/comingsoonimages/Jayne1-web.jpg]
    ?That hat makes you look like an idiot?

12. PadawanRoo

Aug 7, 2003
    hey neat! Do you mind if I repost the picture in my Lj-scrapbook (with credit, of course)?

My friend Mike got a couple shots of the rest of the crew (I put together Mal, Zoe, Kaylee, Kaylee-Shindig, Inara, River, Book, and Jayne-- I'm dressed as Mal in these shots). You can see them on his page.

I had to cheat the front of Book's shirt and make it open in front even though the real one clearly doesn't-- there was no other way to get it on my model. Hopefully a creative ironing job will hide this sin. Also, the poof dress is really rumpled in Mike's shots, having just come offstage from the costume contest, and it's about a size too large for the person wearing it, which kinda shows in the sleeves and in the way the skirt is gapping.

As soon as I can muster the patience/insanity to consider another project with effloads of gathering, I think I'm going to tackle Banning Miller's gown. I've got a good fabric for the top already, and Patterns of Time seems to have a bodice pattern that could be modified for it.

13. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    PadawanRoo, my friend Ed said you can go ahead and post the pic - you can credit him for it if you like.

My mom made me a Jayne hat, so I'm all set for the movie. :)

http://maggiem.MauiMail.com/jaynehat.jpg

14. PadawanRoo

Aug 7, 2003
    heheh-- pretty cunning, don't you think?

I hear tell there's instructions for making it up someplace.

Thanks for the pic, by the by.

I've got a friend who does Browncoat Bears-- I'll try to hunt up a picture of one of those... ever so cute.

15. JediXXL

JediXXL Force Ghost star 6

Apr 11, 2003
    I wish my Mommy made me a Jayne hat! All I keep getting is a big box with a dead/sleeping guy in it! [face_laugh]

16. VillieGee

VillieGee Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2002
    Hey, I don't know if you guys knew about this, but Abbyshot.com is developing a coat and Zoe's vest from Firefly. There's only a few in-progress pictures, but I thought you guys might wanna know.

Abbyshot's way expensive, but damned if it doesn't look like they're worth it. They make replica coats from Blade (from the first AND second movie), Silent Bob, Vash the Stampede from Trigun, Alucard from Hellsing, a bunch from the Matrix... Alot of them in REAL LEATHER. God I wish I had like $1200 to blow on a coat. That Blade II coat makes me weep every time I see it.

17. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    I finished the Shindig dress! I finished the Shindig dress!

Okay, the bodice was totally rushed and half-assed, and there was no shirring or buttons in the front and no embellishment on the sleeves and the fabric was not what I really wanted, but it got done! I wore it in Masquerade on Saturday night in a Firefly group entry and then around the con floor all day Sunday (which was occasionally difficult, but not *so* bad). I think I'm going to keep the skirt and just redo the bodice completely for the premiere. Pictures:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/DSCN7844.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/DSCN7853.jpg]

And my personal favorite:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/jainamsolo/jossandme.jpg]

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    Jaina, what an awesome picture with Joss! You look so adorable/pretty in that dress. Hoorah for ruffles!

Is there a place to see the rest of your pictures from the weekend? I've seen you on the SW.com picture viewer and I think maybe on the webcam in your Leia costume. It was pretty blurry, but I thought it was you. :)

19. JainaMSolo

Jan 19, 2001
    Thank you Dawn!

I actually have almost no pictures of me in costume...the only one I got any shots of was the fluffy pink dress. :( I was wearing my Senatorial Leia on Friday so you probably did see me on the webcam. :) And I'm on the picture viewer a couple of times, behind the counter of the shop.

20. FERDALUMP

FERDALUMP Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Caitlin-- Your dress turned out SO beautiful. You look adorable in all those pink ruffles. :)

I can't believe you got a pic with Joss! WOW!! That is just too cool.

...now off to work on my shindig dress. Seeing how beautiful yours turned out inspires me to speed up and finish mine. :p

21. PadawansGuide

Sep 26, 2002
    THe dress turned out great, Jaina! Even if the bodice isn't 100% the way you want it, you can be really really proud of that skirt - the ruffles look great! :) And meeting Joss - very cool!

22. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Wheee - I just got back from Comic-Con and I'm so happy I ran into Caitlin a few times while I was at the convention :) (I believe I took the first photo she posted) The firefly costume is adorable and the skirt was very eye-catching when she walked out on stage for the masquerade. I was especially eyeing the beautiful ruffles since I'm going to be starting some can-can ruffles very soon. Very well done! And congrats on meeting Joss :)

- Kay Dee

23. Doni

Doni Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 6, 2005
    Cool pic with Joss!

I want to do a Firefly costume for the premier, but I just can't decide which one... Grrrr! It'll probably end up being a thrift store pickings version of Zoey, but we'll see. Or maybe one of Anara's fantastic dresses, or maybe...maybe...

sigh...

24. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    kay_dee, I hope we get to see the rest of your pictures soon too. :)

25. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Yup - I took that one with Caitlin's camera so that's why it's online already ;)

I'm still catching up on e-mail then I've got to sort through my photos to see if anything turned out.

- Kay Dee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.