main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Firefly: Season 2

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by JediTrilobite, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Okay, this is an interesting, if slightly unbelievable article that's been floating around on the net:

Will Firefly Season Two Fly?

A spokesman for Joss Whedon, creator of Firefly and its spinoff movie, Serenity, told SCI FI Wire that Whedon hasn't heard of Ace Underhill, an entrepreneur who said he is trying to acquire the rights to the SF TV franchise for purposes of mounting a second season to be distributed in alternative media. "Joss doesn't really know anything about that guy, and I don't really think he has a comment," Whedon's spokesman said in response to questions about Underhill's efforts.

For his part, Underhill told SCI FI Wire that he has contacted Whedon's representatives about starting up a new season of Firefly, which the Fox broadcast network canceled after a single season in 2003, but hadn't spoken with Whedon directly. Whedon previously told USA Today that he still hopes to tell more stories set in Serenity's futuristic universe, but added that there's no chance he'll do another Firefly TV show.

In response, Underhill said in an interview: "If he contacts me and says, 'Hey, we're not interested in Firefly anymore' or 'I'm not interested in Firefly anymore,' then I will abandon the project, and essentially it's over at that point. I'm not looking to create a cheap knockoff of the series without Joss' input. So that's not going to happen. ... If he's not going to be involved, then there is no project. There's no point."

Underhill said that he wants to acquire the rights to produce a second season of Firefly and has gone on the Web to solicit fans' support, though not their money. "We're looking at actually doing a direct pay-per- ... view model for this series, where the consumer could choose, if they wanted to, [to] view it on their computer, on their iPod, on direct-to-DVD sent to their house or on demand through their cable or satellite operator," Underhill said in a telephone interview. "That would be the first run of the series. And then the second run, obviously, you would go to the off-net cable channels. ... We're looking at giving choices to the audience."

Underhill said that he is also speaking with Jamie McCabe, senior vice president of worldwide pay-per-view and video-on-demand services for 20th Century Fox Television, which holds the TV rights to Firefly. SCI FI Wire calls to McCabe's office and Fox public relations representatives were not returned by press time.

Underhill added that he has contacted members of the Firefly/Serenity cast and had received a few rate quotes from agents, but he declined to say who. He acknowledged that he had not yet heard from Firefly/Serenity star Nathan Fillion.

Underhill said that he works with Brilliant Screen Entertainment, an Arizona-based company that, according to its Web site, provides TV and film production services, studio recording and DVD and CD project design. Underhill also said that he works with Cine Support International, which provides logistics and planning for film and television productions, and is on the film advisory board for government of Costa Rica.

Firefly/Serenity fans, who call themselves Browncoats, are suspicious of Underhill's motives and methods, and the entrepreneur has gone on a Browncoat fan forum to answer questions.

Underhill admitted that his effort is a long shot: He even revealed that a bookmaker had contacted him to gauge the odds of his success for purposes of wagering. (He had no idea.) "Anything can be a longshot, and projects can be shut down at any time," he said. "But I'm hopeful and I'm keeping on it, and I'll put my perserverance on it and try to stay with it for the long haul. I understand it's not an overnight process, and I don't expect it to be, and I'm prepared for the long haul. ... At this point, I would say it's a long shot, but the chance exists."
    ¬SciFiWire

Thoughts?

2. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Without Joss, the series wouldn't be right. He'd have to be involved with it.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    So let me summarize this to the best of my skimming ability.

Some guy wants to indepently fiance Firefly? If so I think that'd be kicking some major ass but I have my doubts about it. Though it would be awesome if it did happen.

4. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    As Q_P said, not without Joss. No discussion after that.

However, if everyone comes back, I'm all for it.

5. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    They'd need the whole (surviving) cast, and keep Joss at the helm or there is no show.

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I agree, without Joss and the cast, it wouldn't be the same. Plus, I'm sure Joss can come up with ways to have both Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass appear as well.

I'd love to see it happen though. :D

7. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    The method for distributing this would be weird. Hopefully, if it does happen, they'll push and see if they can get someone to air it.

8. Andalite-Bandit

Andalite-Bandit Jedi Padawan star 6

Apr 25, 2005
    I don't think this guy has any right to try to get rights to Firefly. If it's not Whedon, it it's not Firefly.

This guy sounds like a lunatic to me.

9. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Agreed. Why would Joss give up rights to his show to some nutjob?

10. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    http://www.myphoenixwedding.com/categories/videographer/userprofiles/videoservices_699.html

Magic Emotion Pictures, a division of Brilliant Screen Entertainment, specializes in filming weddings.

Yeah, these people can really handle a production like Firefly. Sure! No problem!

Also, I don't know about trusting a person named Ace. If I was to create a sterotypical sleazy fake-personality type hollywood wannabe big-shot character for a story, I would name him Ace.

If Joss Whedon wants to make a second season of Firefly, he'll find a way to do it. He doesn't need this guy.

11. Darth-Kevin-Thomas

Darth-Kevin-Thomas Jedi Master star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    Where as this would be awsome, i think it's no good if Wheadon gives over the rights. If this dude has a whole grip of money and wants to give it a try whith wheadon at the helm, i say do it.

But then again, as it stands. Firefly is iconic. Making more would be awsome but then again, if not done right we don't want to go out with a crappy taste in our mouth.

dkt

12. Andalite-Bandit

Apr 25, 2005
    A new season would surely be interesting, but the concept would have to be fairly different I imagine. I can't see the crew just going around being smugglers or transporting cargo anymore, after the events of Serenity. A new Firefly series would probably have to involve them either taking further hostile actions against the Alliance, or fleeing away, or perhaps even chronicle the development of a second war for independence, who knows!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.