main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story [Firefly/Serenity] Fragments from the Cortex (50 sentences challenge) Replies up 04/14/2011

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by laurethiel1138, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Title: Fragments form the Cortex

Author: laurethiel1138

Fandom: Firefly/Serenity

Characters: All

Timeline: Any

Summary: 50 Sentence Challenge

Disclaimer: Not mine (alas!)

Because I simply could not resist...

[b]Table I[/b]: you can't take the sky from me...

01. Firefly
    They?d all disparage it the way they wanted, but to Mal, there was no bucket of bolts that was trustier than his own Firefly.

02. Grit
    Mal gritted his teeth as yet another explosion rocked Serenity Valley.

03. Crew
    Zoë, Wash, Kaylee, Book, Simon, River, ?Nara, Jayne: just names, and also the best damn crew in the whole gorram ?Verse.

04. Lure
    Though he should have known better than to be lured by Saffron?s wiles, Mal was helpless to resist the temptation of the Lassiter.

05. Tenacity
    Through sheer tenacity and a sprinkle of good luck, Simon had succeeded to infiltrate the lab holding his sister captive.

06. Affinity
    ?Twas nothin? overly romantic, o? course, but Kaylee wouldn?t have minded explorin? the affinities betwixt her an? Simon, and, well, play doctor an? patient with him.

07. Heist
    Why, oh, why did something always go wrong every gorram time they planned a heist?

08. Renegade
    Each in their own way, all of Serenity?s crew members were renegades of sorts.

09. Stable
    Many things could (and were) said about Patience; however, the woman knew prime horseflesh when she saw it, and paid accordingly (or not).

10. Poise
    With consummate poise, Inara walked down the ramp in Serenity?s cargo bay, all but robbing Mal of breath ? not that he?d ever confess out loud to the same.

11. Shepard
    Book had not always been as he was, and before he became a Shepherd he had done a great many things he now regretted.

12. Haven
    It was strange to think of him that way, but Wash had quickly become Zoë?s haven, a man with whom the Amazon could let down her hair, so to speak.

13. Pioneer
    And the great space ships launched from Earth-That-Was to conquer a new solar system.

14. Aptitude
    River?s aptitudes were quite simple beyond anyone?s imaginings or comprehension.

15. Black
    In Serenity?s cockpit, Wash looked at the Black beyond, feeling, at long last, that he had come home.

16. Fixed
    Simon was loath to admit this to even himself, yet he greatly feared that River was beyond even his healing powers, and that she could never be fixed, never to go back to the bright, precocious child he had known on Osiris.

17. Backbone
    ?You take care of me, Simon, you've always taken care of me; my turn.?

18. Cunning
    It took some cunning and no small amount of daring, but the Serenity made it through the Reavers to the planet named Miranda.

19. Shotgun
    Mal winced as the Doctor extracted pieces of gun shot which had somehow found their way to unmentionable parts of his anatomy.

20. Aplomb
    With great aplomb, Inara demonstrated to Mal the finer points of sword fighting.

21. Pester
    Try as he might, Jayne could simply not find any way to make River stop pestering him.

22. Alliance
    Mal sometimes reflected that the Alliance he knew had nothing in common with that other Alliance from that space opera tale of Earth-That-Was.

23. Uncouth
    Jayne was quite possibly the most uncouth man Simon Tam had ever met.

24. Regard
    Though she had not always held him in the highest regard, even Inara had to admit that sometimes Mal had his moments.

25. Fugitive
    It was gorram hard work, giving a refuge to fugitives, Mal thought; but then again, they were all more or less fugitives in their own way, so what was the problem with that, exactly?

26. Chipper
    Simon looked at Kaylee, wondering how the girl could always be so positively chipper, even in their darkest moments.

27. Intuitive
    The directors at the Academy had soon remarked one River Tam?s extraordinary intuitive capacities.

28. Fixing
    Vera didn?t need no fixin?, but Jayne figured she

2. Master_Jaina1011

Master_Jaina1011 Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2002
    *sigh*

Firefly.

It's really not that hard to resist! I loved every single one of them. Honestly.. and now I have that song stuck in my head.

Great job, you captured the characters perfectly.

3. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Oh, I am so glad to see you tackling the Firefly sentences! [face_dancing] :)

The same thing I enjoy about your LoTR sentences is true here - you have a wonderful talent for scope and character, and there were many little nuggets of awesome here that I enjoyed.

Like . . .

Affinity: I liked how you wrote her accent into her thoughts as well as the dialogue. Kaylee is too adorable for words. [face_love]

Heist: Because it wouldn't be the same any other way. [face_laugh]

Poise: [face_laugh] I love Mal and his double takes. :p

Haven: [face_love]

Backbone: This, and the one before were great exploring the relationship between River and Simon. Yikes, but what a hard spot that is. :(

Shotgun: [face_laugh] Oh, poor Mal!

Fixing: Oh, Jayne. [face_love] (I have so much love for that big ape. :p)

Rowel: [face_sick] A very . . . creative way to use that prompt. [face_worried]

Commonplace: [face_laugh] The good ol' doc is a trip when he's around her. (as much as he trips up with, as well. :p)

Serenity: Take me out to the black, and tell them I'm not coming back. [face_love]

Perfect! =D=

~MJ @};-

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    These are great!! I particularly loved the Simon/Kaylee sentences, particularly Affinity :D [face_love]

5. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Sigh... Now I have to go watch that again.

:_| Why? Why did the people at Fox decide to be such morons!

Lol. I loved your Kaylee posts. But Affininity is my favorite.

I really liked these. You captured the essance of Firefly very well.

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh Firefly, how I love thee! [face_love]

Great job!

I really liked Black, Shotgun and Uncouth!

:D

7. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    On to the replies:

Master_Jaina1011:

*sigh*
    Firefly.
    It's really not that hard to resist!

Well, the prompts did beacon so powerfully, I could do nothing but answer.

I loved every single one of them. Honestly... and now I have that song stuck in my head.
    I'm glad I hit the right notes and that you liked it. Speaking of notes, that song really does catch quite easily...

Great job, you captured the characters perfectly.
    Thank you for taking the time to comment!

Mira_Jade:

Oh, I am so glad to see you tackling the Firefly sentences!
    What can I say? I was so beautifully inspired...

The same thing I enjoy about your LoTR sentences is true here - you have a wonderful talent for scope and character, and there were many little nuggets of awesome here that I enjoyed.
    Thinking of it, it might have to do with being a Lit student. I do tend to over-analyse everything, from books to movies, and fixate on the most mundane details... Oh! well, as long as I find a use for it, such as here in fanfic writing.

Affinity: I liked how you wrote her accent into her thoughts as well as the dialogue. Kaylee is too adorable for words.
    I was rather inspired by that slightly-TMI bar scene in the movie, which somehow got stuck in my mind and spawned this.

Heist: Because it wouldn't be the same any other way.
    Yeah, 'cause if not, we wouldn't have had the movie, or the series to begin with.

Poise: I love Mal and his double takes.
    Which Nathan Fillion rendered ever so wonderfully. Gotta love the man.

Haven: [love]
    Strangely enough, Zoë and Wash are just made for each other, aren't they?

Backbone: This, and the one before were great exploring the relationship between River and Simon. Yikes, but what a hard spot that is.
    Yet it is also what family should be: the support system you fall back on when all else in your life goes haywire. River and Simon embody that to a nicety.

Shotgun: Oh, poor Mal!
    Yeah. Always getting caught in *ahem* compromising positions.

Fixing: Oh, Jayne. (I have so much love for that big ape.)
    Like Strider in LOTR, there is more to the man than meets the eye...

Rowel: A very... creative way to use that prompt.
    Well, it's a known fact that not everything in the 'Verse is all shiny...

Commonplace: The good ol' doc is a trip when he's around her. (as much as he trips up with, as well.)
    Inspired by real-life events when I found myself tongue-tied in front of a major crush. As we all have been at some point... I think...

Serenity: Take me out to the black, and tell them I'm not coming back.
    Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me...

Perfect!
    Thank you for the awesome feedback!

NYCitygurl:

These are great!! I particularly loved the Simon/Kaylee sentences, particularly Affinity
    Thanks! Simon and Kaylee are just made of awesome, aren't they? The living proof that you don't have to come from the same world to understand each other.

Raphire:

Sigh... Now I have to go watch that again.
    I'm doing that regularly, myself. So welcome to the club!

Why? Why did the people at Fox decide to be such morons!
    Perhaps because anyone who runs such a fantastic series out of order didn't deserve it in the first place?

Lol. I loved your Kaylee posts. But Affinity is my favorite.
    I see it's become an all-around favourite... I'm just glad it resonated so well with all of you.

I really liked these. You captured the essance of Firefly very well.
    Thank you! This set of sentences was rather fun to write, too, and a welcome break from my usual LOTR epic stuff...

mavjade:

Oh Firefly, how I love thee!
    Thou dost speak truth, indeed!

Great job!
    I'm just happy this set pleased you.

I really liked Black, Shotgun and Uncouth!
    Yep! All part of a complete day aboard the Serenity. Wash playing with his dinosaurs, Mal gettin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.