Firefox now the internet's most popular browser?

Discussion in 'Fan Design - Sites and Graphics' started by Grimby, Aug 4, 2009.

Moderators: Grimby
  1. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    According to W3Schools.com - one of the internet's most popular web development tutorial sites - Firefox is now more popular than Internet Explorer. As of July 2009, their usage statistics indicate 47.9% of visitors use Firefox, while only 39.4% use IE, and a combined 11.9% use Chrome, Safari, and Opera.

These are very interesting statistics. But like any statistics, one needs to be aware of where the data is coming from. These usage statistics are taken from visitors to w3schools.com, who sums it up pretty nicely:
    It's quite interesting to see the differences in numbers from site to site.

The social networking mega-site Facebook, which is obviously geared toward a whole different crowd, reports these numbers as of June 2009: Internet Explorer: 50%, Firefox: 38%, Safari: 4%, Chrome and Opera: 3% each

And just for fun, here are the statistics for my personal web site for July 2009 (98% of my site's traffic goes to either my Star Wars Image Archive or my Star Wars OT Screenshots site):
    Internet Explorer: 46.2%, Firefox: 43.2%, Safari: 6.7%, Opera: 1.5%

More usage statistics can be found here.
  2. darthhelinith Force Ghost

star 5
    I gave up on internet explorer when it crashed and lost all my settings.

And the not so recent update to IE8 left me really confused, so now I'm Firefox totall.
  3. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Wonder what the JC's stats are like. [face_thinking]
  4. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I have IE at home, and never could figure out how to get Firefox to run.
  5. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    I use Firefox because IE used to "hang" so much.
  6. TNPredsFan Force Ghost

star 4
    I think more general users are migrating away from IE to other browsers, not just Firefox. At work, we are seeing a definite decrease in the number of IE users accessing our site, and our clients aren't generally tech-geeks.
  7. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    There's probably some way to get them, but I wouldn't know how.
  8. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    I highly recommend two add-ons for Firefox.

Ad-Blocker Plus
    Colorzilla

I've heard Firebug (live altering of sites) and FireFTP (built in FTP client) are really good too but I haven't used them.
  9. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    Colorzilla? I haven't heard of that one. Is it just to alter the theme or colours of the program?
  10. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    Colorzilla allows you to use a dropper to find out what color something is on a webpage. It's really useful for getting unique colors out of images. Then you can save those custom colors to your color palette in Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.Net/etc.

Here's the link to the Colorzilla site

ColorZilla
  11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer Force Ghost

star 6
    I just installed ColorZilla earlier today and think it's very cool. It'll help with creating style sheets. Saves me from having Flash open as a colour picker [face_laugh] Thanks Salty!
  12. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Firebug is also extremely helpful when trying to figure out which CSS styles apply to certain elements. I also use it for debugging purposes.
  13. Salty Force Ghost

star 5
    [face_laugh]

No prob. It used to be one of those things that was only word of mouth between FF users, but now I'm seeing it recommended in XHTML/CSS books.

Definitely want to give FireBug a try.
Moderators: Grimby