main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Firewire

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Hookshot12354, Jul 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hookshot12354

Hookshot12354 Jedi Youngling

Jul 7, 2005
    Hey, I'm new to fan filming and I feel really stupid asking this but i can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the internet. What exactly is firewire? I know that you need it to put movies onto your computer but is that all it's for? Also, how much does a good one cost? Please don't flame me for not knowing this. I just want some help. Thanx

2. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    A firewire port is a little like a USB port--you can use them for many, many things. You can buy a decent firewire card at any computer store.

Also, I don't believe that you can't find the answer anywhere on the internet. You need to learn to use Google, son. Or at least the forum search.

3. Martin-S

Martin-S Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2005
  4. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    In short, it was an interface, not unlike the USB (as Funk said) that was invented by Apple and Texas Instruments.

The big advantage to Firewire over USB is that it's a helluva lot faster. All that speed gives you much more freedome to pass much more information through the interface. It's mostly used for video capture. And you can actually control the camera through the firewire interface.

But, you can also use it for chaining hard drives, and a number of other types of devices like you would use SUSB for.

5. TonyGoodwin

TonyGoodwin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2005
    A Firewire card may cost about $30, it goes in your computer like any other PCI card. Then you needa firewire cable to connect the device to the card.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.