main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First and last episodes: TIE in with the movies

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Emperor Pinguin, Mar 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emperor Pinguin

Emperor Pinguin Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 11, 2000
    Between the movies there are some time-gaps of several years.
    The TV is between E-III and E-IV, covering 18 years.

How will the TV show start of after RotS? The day after, several weeks or months later?
    I would like the TV to start with some characters (and actors!) of RotS. Mace (Sam!) chased and captured. But also live on Alderaan with Antillis, R2, C3PO and the rebellion.

And how will the TV show end and what will the time period be between the TV show and E-IV? I think it would be if the last few episoded build up to the Tantative escape, just before (always great) opening shot of ANH.

What are your thoughts about this?

EP

2. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I like the idea of a direct link between the start and the end of the TV show, and the end and start of the movies.
    However, something tells me they are unlikely to cover the entire 18 years between movies, but rather focus on a few key elements from a few years of the empire.

Also, Mace is dead, so he's unlikely to appear in the TV show!

3. Emperor Pinguin

Jan 11, 2000
    I am not one who thinks Mace is dead, so I am hoping to seem him in the TV show. But besides that, my point was more that I hope to see some of the movie cast in the first few episodes to get the story going.

Sure, they will not cover the 18 years, but since the show will be divided into four it could be something like this:

Show 1: bounty hunters and order 66
    Show 2: smugglers, pirates and other scum
    Show 3: rebel alliance
    Show 4: Death Star plans (following Antillies, like Batttlestar Galactica)

This way you get from dark (bounty hunters hunting and killing jedi) like RotS to light where the rebellion gets stronger until they reach their first victory and give new hope.

EP

4. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    I'd prefer not to see any major stars in the first couple of episodes, as it would belittle the emerging stars they are going to use for the entire series. Personally, I'd like it to start fresh, and stay fresh.

No cameos please.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I like the idea of the first episode starting just after ROTS and the final episode ending just before ANH. That would be a fun way of bridging the movies together, but on the other hand I'm hoping for new characters. Whilst I accept there will be a few cameos from established characters (I think its pretty much inevitable) I'm hoping the focus will be on new characters.

6. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    the sad thing is, I'd see them bringing people in to boost ratings rather than contribute to the plot progression.

worse still I'm concerned he'd go further and bring people back from the dead (eg Mace, or Order66'd Jedi)

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think he'd bring Mace back. Mace's death is THE turning point of the whole Saga in many repects, and I personally think George Lucas is too proud of ROTS and the Star Wars Saga to risk damaging it that way.

As for whether he would bring other characters in to boost ratings, I guess it just depends on whether ratings will need boosting in the first place. :p If the series is good enough then it should stand up on its own merits.

Of course, there will always be a temptation to bring in Darth Vader as a ratings booster (like how the SW Magazine constantly puts Vader on almost every single cover these days) and I suspect that at some point in the series it will happen, even though I would rather it didn't.

8. Jedi-Queen

Jedi-Queen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 16, 2005
    He could easily elude to Mace without ever confirming it is Mace Windu.
    Like a cloaked, hooded dark character who never shows his face, but demonstrates an
    ability to use the force and you can almost see Mace underneath the layers, but
    we never get a good look at his face so we'll never truly know.
    I love a good mystery! :)

9. Emperor Pinguin

Jan 11, 2000
    MAybe for the first and last show there could be some actors from the movies. But I also think that cameos would not work, apart from one or two surprises!
    One thing I hope that is not going to happen is an actor from the OT playing a different charater in the TV show. Like in Battlestar Galactica!

Anyway, tying in the TV show with the movies doesn't mean that the same actors and characters have to be there. It could also be that new characters discuss, mention and act on and towards the events between E-III and E-IV.
    Especially the events just before ANH would be exiting to see, IMHO. Finding out about the Death Star plans and steeling them could cover one the the four story arcs.

EP

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It's actually 20 years. Luke Skywalker is 20 years old in ANH. Check the novel.

11. Jango_Fettish

Jango_Fettish Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 17, 2002
    He's 19. You can't go by the novel. It also claims he flew in Blue Squadron, Greedo spoke through an electric translator, and Palpatine was a puppet controlled by the senate.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, it is 19 years- one of those things slightly adjusted from earlier info like the novel.

13. AL_Patterson

AL_Patterson Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    I'd only want the show to take place after ROTS if it's about a different set of characters. If it's about Obi Wan and co then I think it should take place 10 years after ROTS so they can have a reason for changing the actors. If it takes place just after ROTS and they were a get a new man to be Obi Wan and try to have him imitiate Ewan everyone would say he's a cheap wonnabe for tv. Instead, get an actor older than Ewan but a little younger than Sir Alec was.

14. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    Sooo a fall out a window a few hundred stories high, after having his hand cut off (giving him one good arm to grab onto something) and being electrocuted (which would at least weaken him) isn't grounds to kill him.

15. AL_Patterson

Feb 18, 2007
    He could have landed on a bed of pillows:p

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    On the phsical level, I guess Mace, being a Jedi could in theory have died (we've seen Obi-Wan and Anakin flying through Couruscants traffic lanes) But the reason Mace IS dead and Lucas won't bring him back, is because his death is so pivitol to Anakin turning to the darkside. Having Mace come back would, I think, seriously cheapen Anakin's turn to the dark side. The reason Anakin has no choice but to go along with Palpatine, and begin cutting down Jedi, etc... Is because he colluded in Mace Windu's murder and couldn't go back. To suddenly have Mace popping up after the event would seriously undermine Anakin's choice to side with Palpatine and all the damage that choice cause's. Mace is dead. End of story.

17. AL_Patterson

Feb 18, 2007
    He should digitally add Mace in ANH as the barman at the cantina...but thats neither here nor there.

18. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    Great point. If Mace lived, he would probably would have sought out Yoda and/Obi-Wan and would've more than likely tried to confront or convert Anakin/Vader.

19. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'd love for the show to start like the day after the end of ROTS but I find that will be highly unlikely seeing as it has to cover the 20 years between III and IV. Mace is dead, he's not going to be in the show, and even so I don't think SLJ would be up for small screen.

Al_patterson thats a brilliant idea. ''We don't serve their kind here, there bad mother-''

20. DarthMateous

DarthMateous Jedi Master star 4

Aug 1, 2002
    True. Plus, GL likes to start his stories in the middle of some event.

TPM - The Trade Federation "negotiations"
    ATOC - The vote to create an army for the Republic
    ROTS - Palpatine's rescue from Grievous
    ANH - Tantive IV trying to escape with the Death Star Plans
    TESB - The Empire's search for the Rebellion on Hoth
    ROTJ - Han's Rescue from Jabba

Not only that, but we know he likes to set his stories a couple of years apart.

21. Andurias79

Andurias79 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 20, 2007
    May be he landed softly in a Refuse collector ;-)

22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Mace is dead, Dark Horse is his only hope( Palpatine twice, Fett).....Just kidding.
    I'd like to mostly see new characters as well, certainly they will need to tie to the movies and the timeline in some way but i'd rather it didn't tie directly to the Skywalker clan.

23. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I love the idea of it all tieing together, though some of it probably would be best to be left to imagination, video games and EU. Im imagining it starts with the construction of the death star, order 66 and opposing systems being overpowered by the galatic empire.

I'm hoping it ends with the stolen death star plans making its way to Leia's representatives [lets face it, carrie fisher doesn't look like your highnessess anymore and to have another actress play it would be blasphemy.] and the Tantive making its way from Alderaan to Tatooine.

For a show to cover a 20 year period seems a little unrealistic, even for Lucasart. I mean how many seasons does this show plan to sign on?

24. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't know about that- I've always been of the mind that the characters are more iconic than the actors who portrayed them, and that the audience would be intelligent enough to understand why some recasting would have to take place in order to tell certain stories in certain eras. And who knows? maybe there'd be actually be improvement- I've always found the actress who voiced Leia in the SW Radio Dramas to have given a much better performance than Fisher, for example, and there have been other examples where the TV actor for a character manages to equal or surpass the establishing film's portrayal of the character (most notably Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson on Stargate).

Besides, SW has revised altered and recast several (albeit generally minor or masked/alien) characters over the years, it could still feel like a natural evolution of past precedents.

25. Cellist

Cellist Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 7, 2003
    Oh wow, I love the idea of having the very last episode tie directly into the beginning of ANH. The last scene could be Leia giving Captain Antilles orders to set their course for Tatooine, and then have them jump to hyperspace.:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.