main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto **First Annual Charity FanForce Softball Tournament** (Forceball)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by sw-starwarsfreakness, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Not sure how many members of the TLL read the YJN Newsletter yet their latest had minutes from their last meeting.

Mentioned in the newsletter was 'the first annual Fan Force Charity Softball Tournament':

"This year we are hoping to host the First Annual Fan Force Charity Softball Tournament. General idea: 2 or more teams of 12 each to play a friendly game or 2 of softball to help raise money and donations for Woman?s Place. Players will be asked to bring an unopened toy to donate. Refreshments will be sold at the game. All money raised will go to Woman?s Place.
    Winning team will receive the very coveted ?Force ball Trophy?. We are shooting for a play date of June 26th, but that is subject to change if we can not get the field. Help is needed to organize and pull off this event."

At this point we are looking to hold the event on the last weekend of June; that date being Saturday, June 26th, 2004 (rain date to be determined).
    Since the tournament will be a ?round robin? tournament, we are expecting the event to start around 10:00am, with a finish time before dark. If distance is an issue some YJN members may be able to offer their home as a place of rest the night before.

Some members of YJN have already started some of the initial legwork. The City of Thorold, ON is willing to wave all fees for a ballpark, to be at our disposal. The park includes: ball diamond, lights (if needed), dugouts, bleachers, allowance for a bar-b-q, and a few other smaller items.

We are planning on doing an extensive advertising campaign for the event (newspaper, radio, flyers). And some members of the community have even already approached us offering to donate items towards the event.

For the event we will be asking each team member (or team group) to make a small cash donation (to be determined) towards the Women?s Shelter in order to play in the ForceBall Tournament. We will also be asking for either a toy or cash donation from each of the guests (not mandatory). During and after the event a bar-b-q and refreshment stand will be available for players and guests alike. Food will be donated form local businesses with profits of the sales going towards the Women?s Shelter.

My proposal is to organize a Toronto Long Line softball team. Participation is necessary for this event to work successfully, if not on the team, at least to sit in the crowd and cheer on the teams.

We will be looking to have some practices nearing the date. Maybe we can also create team shirts, or something creative like costuming (Yet it may be difficult and a tad warm for Jedi to run around playing softball)

Now, who's interested?

Player Signup:

Tessa
    Deb
    Matt
    Jedi-1 (What's your real name btw?)
    Alex
    Adam
    KingBob
    Janet

Offical Toronto Cheerleader- Tragic - ? ;)

2. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I definitely think costuming would be a bit difficult.
    Chris PM'ed me about this as well, I'm sure at least a couple from London (including myself) would be interested, but we can't form a whole side by ourselves.
    Don't know exactly who yet as it's a bit far off, but maybe we can play with you guys since we're basically Toronto members anyway (well, what's left of us :p).

3. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I've played softball for a few years lol i think i'm in.

4. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

So both of you in? Or only Matt? ;)

5. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    Like I said in chat, I will come if days off manage it, but I wont play, sorry but I suck. -Dan

6. Jedi-1

Jedi-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2004
    Like I said in the previous post that was erased for some reason, I'm in.

7. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    Count me in.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

8. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I'm definitely in.

It's an excellent idea and think it'll be a lot of fun!

Even if you don't think you're the next Cozy Dolan or Peaches O'Neil, that doesn't mean you can't have fun, participate, and help a good cause.

Once we see where things go practices, practice games (and other excuses to hang out sounds great to me) would be excellent.

edit: completing a sentence is a good

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Wow,

we're really on our way to having a team of 12, half way there. Thank you for you involvment everyone.

Once we have a set team we should have a practise or two. I'll speak to Chris about what he want to do with Media, I'm sure we could cause some media stir on this.

We could also get to starting ideas for team shirts ^^

10. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    The FanForce cup resides in a place of honour in our home after I paid off the ref--- er, after we won the Hockey Game oh so many moons ago. I guess it will rightfully belong with the winning team.

I'm not much of an athelete, but I'd be happy to come and cheer the team on. Two Four Six Eight Who Will We Annhiallate?

11. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Tragic,

I have a pair of Pom Poms you can borrow!

12. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
  13. KingBob

KingBob Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2000
    As of right now, I am in, we already beat YJN at hockey, and with only four of us and a little mind control, baseball should be a piece of cake :)

14. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Now... I'm in-between the two clubs... so which side do I go on??

15. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
  16. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    pom poms, eh?
    Well... okay! :)

[image=http://www3.sympatico.ca/tragiclad/images/cheer.jpg]

17. Cow_Girl

Cow_Girl Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 15, 2001
    You need a red tie to match the Pom Poms ;)

18. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

grey_starr ... come to Toronto. (I'm blunt)

19. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Janet, Matt and I are all in.
    I don't think there will be a problem with having a team that's a bit big, as long as it's not too big so everyone gets to play. If it gets too big, then perhaps forming an outlier team that would consist of people in the area, but outside Toronto or Niagara would be a good idea.

20. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    I like that idea.

Have a Toronto Team and a "outside the GTA" team.

Syracuse, Rochester, and now Buffalo are all expressing excitement about the event. It sounds like this will be a fantastic day.

21. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Well so far we have 8 members interest. We need 12. Hopfully we can pull together enough members ;)

This looks like it's going to be a great event. Looking forward to seeing the results.

22. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    No harm in having more than 12. Incase some can't make it, substitutions, etc. But yeah, minimum 12 would be nice.

23. Yebbed-Crage

Yebbed-Crage Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2001
    Gee, we wouldn't want to see you guys have to forfeit before you even get there [face_mischief]

24. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Well... I'll be going most likely... bringing the family... I'll play for who ever needs someone I guess... Though Tessa has suggested I play for TLL...

I'm still curious as to whether or not I could hit in armour... running's a different story mind you!...

25. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    yup, 12 minimum so we don't forfeit...although I'm sure you guys wouldn't mind that, now would ya? ;)

Anyone else interested?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.