main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto **First Annual Charity FanForce Softball Tournament** (Forceball)

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by sw-starwarsfreakness, Mar 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

Jess (Kinderbat) might be able to make it. I forgot to talk to her about it yesterday, so I'll ask her tommorow.

She really needs to start posting again.

Anyone else? We need to build at least 12.

2. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    How do you figure 12? 9 players are on the field at a time...

3. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Refer to YJN newsletter.

4. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I demand that Durham get its own team. :p Yes! All 2 of us!!! :D Now to hire 7 ringers...i mean...WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!! *points to the sky and walks away*

5. Java_Jedi

Java_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    LOL... all looks good so far and plans are coming together nicely. Should be a great day! The field we are planning on is awesome with a water park for the little ones and everything. Even has dugouts and a bull pen, and lights (if needed).

6. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Bump

We have updated the list, in the Niagara Forum, of people coming, either to play or just to enjoy a group outing.

7. grey_starr

grey_starr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 22, 2004
    Ah... so I fall under the "Outside of the GTA" Team...

8. Adam-the-Indifferent

Adam-the-Indifferent Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Well, I know it will be a little while before the weather is good enough and the ground is dry enough, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some good fields we could use to practice that would be central to most people.

It shouldn't be too hard, any school field should suffice, but good fields are always better to play on.

Who is actually interested in practices? I just want to get out there and play, so I'm up (schedule permitting) for playing as much as possible but that could just be me.

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

I know a great baseball diamond we can use, it's just North of where I live actually.

10. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    It's for fun and charity but how can we make is a Star Wars event?

People in costume when not playing.

I know someone who has a full size X-Wing but I think the costs to get it up from Texas would be a bit to much.

I have R2 but I am not sure how he would do on grass. Maybe charge people to have their photo taken with R2?

I also have a full size cardboard Droideka but have not put it together yet.

How about making foam X-Wings or Tie fighters for our baseball caps?

Any other ideas?

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

11. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

Taking some photos, getting people to pay to take photos with R2, and maybe an X-Wing or Jedi Fighterwould be a good idea. (I'm still willing to give a helping hand in making the ship)

Maybe Lightsaber dueling compition. Make the day a family day event. Almost like a one day event of everything Star Wars. There can be face painting (I want a tie fighter on my face!) and maybe some other interesting ideas.

Anyone else have some input?

12. Anakin_Padme4ever

Anakin_Padme4ever Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 29, 2002
    Wow. So much stuff I seem to have been missing in Fanforce. Sorry, I just haven't been on the boards in awhile. [face_blush] I'll try coming on more often, well atleast to check out the Fanforce part. :)

But as for the idea on hand, I think it's a great idea. I used to play softball a long time ago..or well, I guess it could be maybe a couple or so years ago. It'll be fun to play again. So, if you need more players you can count me in. :)

13. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    Once we get a weekend with no rain, I'd like to set up some practices. Don't worry, you'll only have to run 10 laps of the field, do a series of wind-sprints, a couple hours of streching, a few more hours of fielding practice and maybe a few hours of batting practice.

or, just go out and toss some ball and hit a few. If you aren't all that active, getting some practice in will be a big help to yourself - wake up a bunch of muscles you never knew you had.

Practices will likely be held on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. Tessa, what field were you referring to?

I'll try to post as far in advance as I can, but some may be short notice. If I haven't set up a practice and you want to get out there, feel free to post.

14. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

It's one in a park called Sauraren Park... off of Sauraren. Best way to get there is off Dundas St. West and then travel south. :)

15. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I'd like to play some softball anyway, even if there was no YJN event, it would still be fun. I'd definitely be in for practicing and we could probably do dinner afterwards or something like that...but in terms of where (because I'm sure whatever we pick will be out of the way for many, and close to a few because we're so spread out) something accessible (on a subway line without a million buses to take in addition) would be best.

16. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    there is a nice field Hendon Park right at the Finch subway station. Actually it is right across the street basically. There are two fields there so unless an organized event is already there we should be ok.

17. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    i live within 15 min walk from there

18. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    I would definitely prefer that one.

19. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    That should be fine, we can check it out on the first practice. If it works out we can keep using it, if not, find another one.

Deb, I caught your post in the YJN thread, about equipment. Perhaps we should do a check here to see what we need and who has what.

Bat - I have 1 softball bat and 1 baseball bat.
    Softball - 2
    Gloves - Only one, but when I'm batting someone can use it.

20. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    That's a good idea, Adam. Let's continue that. I have a lefthanded glove. I'll check to see what else I have and post that later.

Bat - 2
    Softball - 2
    Gloves - 1 RH / 1 LH

21. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004
    I have two gloves and I think I still have 2 bats (One aluminum and one wood) if anyone wants to borrow them for the game. Not sure I can make it but I willing to donate the equipment to some people I trust. PM me if you are interested.

22. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003

I have nothing. I can check my shead I may have a glove and a bat... I doubt I have a bat.

23. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I have my glove.. i might be able to get a bat but i doubt my coach would give me permission to let others use it... (300 dollar bats)

Wooden bats are a no go for softball which is what we will be playing, just doesn't work together so we should keep that in mind.

24. Styrofoam_Guy

Styrofoam_Guy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2003
    I have one very old glove.

I might have a softball and I might be able to get a bat.

How about masks for the catcher. Although it is softball the foul tips can be dangerous.

Alex
    Styrofoam Guy

25. Adam-the-Indifferent

Nov 30, 2000
    I figured I'd bring my baseball bat and baseballs, incase we want to mix it up. I prefer hardball over softball, and wouldn't mind playing that from time to time - but we'll see. No big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.