main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First bit of officialness about C4 in 2007, sorta, maybe, kinda - miniscule update#4 (2/11)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Sebulba-X, Jun 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QueenAmidalaEP1

QueenAmidalaEP1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 15, 2005
    Um, lots of cons are on holiday weekends. A lot of people already have a day off and can make it to the con with out taking extra vacation time.

Example:
    http://www.balticon.org/ Balticon - Memorial Day Weekend
    http://www.costume-con.org/CClink/CC24.shtml CostumeCon - Memorial Day Weekend

http://www.dragoncon.org/ Dragon*Con - Labor Day Weekend
    http://www.worldcon.org/ World Con - often on Labor Day Weekend

I'm not going to list all the other cons that are on holiday weekends, but there are tons of them.

2. Cliodna_ben_Lhee

Cliodna_ben_Lhee Jedi Master star 4

Jul 4, 2003
    I went to Cascadia con over labor day weekend 2005 and just attended Norwescon over the Easter weekend, Norwescon is always held on Easter weekend and attendance is always high

3. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    The President of the Indy Knights either talked with Steve Sansweet today or read this somewhere...I wouldn't know where exactly, which is why I think it must be from an email...anyway, it neither confirms nor denies anything, but it is an official comment on the LA rumor nonetheless:

4. LukeSkiewalker

LukeSkiewalker Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2003
    Maybe this rumor was just something to throw all of us geeks off... :D

This place looks like a much better option: http://www.internationaldriveorlando.com/orange_county.htm

A whopping 2.1 million sq ft of space!

5. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    Yes, both FL and Chicago have much bigger convention centers, but LFL has not been looking at them.

McCormick Place http://www.mccormickplace.com/ has combined total of 2.2 million square feet of exhibit space, 1.6 million square feet all on one level, making it the nation's largest convention center. McCormick Place features:

? 2.2 million sq. ft. of exhibit halls
    ? 112 meeting rooms
    ? Assembly seating for 10,000 people
    ? 4,249 seat theater (Arie Crown)
    ? 3 theaters seating 345 each
    ? Ceiling heights up to 50 feet
    ? Easy access and 8,000 parking spaces

Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) in Orlando
    2.1 million-square feet of exhibition space
    Surrounded by 121,000 hotel rooms
    http://www.occc.net/planner/

San Diego http://www.sdccc.org/
    2.6 million total gross square feet:
    525,701 gross square feet of contiguous exhibit space on Ground Level
    90,000 square feet of column-free exhibit space in the Sails Pavilion on Upper Level
    284,494 sq. ft. of prefunction, lobby, registration and circulation areas including lobby which features 115,756 sq. ft. of registration areas
    http://www.visitsandiego.com/exhibitors/buildingoverview.cfm

Anaheim Convention Center
    813,607 Total Square Feet Exhibit Halls Capacity
    http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/section.cfm?id=17

The Los Angeles Convention Center:
    720,000 square feet of exhibit hall space
    64 meeting rooms totaling 147,000 square feet and a 299 seat presentation theater
    http://www.lacclink.com/

INDY - The Indiana Convention Center: Located in the heart of Indianapolis houses more than 400,000 square feet of exhibit space and nearly 140,000 square feet of meeting space.
    So LA has 320,000 more sq ft of space then INDY.

6. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    I don't think they'll need more space than what they had at C3 for C4...and without a movie, there's not going to be the same number people coming, even if they show the new tv show at the con. I don't mind traveling to someplace like LA, but what I do want is a choice of hotels within safe walking distance to and from the con. The only car I want to ride in is the taxi from the airport. And, to me, it doesn't matter what actors they have coming to the thing or how convenient it is for them, I'm not going to stand in line to pay for autographs. What I do want to do is hang out with my friends, drink a couple of beers, and gawk & relish in the nerdery of Star Wars...anyway, I'm hoping LA isn't the place.

7. JSTAR71

JSTAR71 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    If Steve Sansweet keeps up with rumors etc.maybe he is reading this-keep it in indy!!!!!!!Please!!!!!!!It has become a tradition!LA is not convient for the most of us.

8. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I will only believe official news from starwars.com when they announce it. LA is a bad place to have it. Even Steve Sansweet said in a Q an A question on starwars.com that centrality was top reason to choose for a location to Celerbation. I believe him over Dustin from theforce.net especially when he doesn't give the actor or actor agent who said this rumor. Internet rumor and speculation is so terrible. LA favors only west coast people. That is not fair to midwest, southeast. northeast and east coast fans. Indy is the best choice because of location. CIV will most likely have equal or less people since no new star wars film is coming out. Just 2 new star wars tv shows and possible re-release of all 6 films in digital 3-D. I didn't believe Dustin's article on Feb. 14, 2006 about Indy not hosting CIV because he couldn't show proof or his source. Go Indy for CIV in 2007!

Check for Indiana Convention Center schedule on website if you want to know... It contains many dates that are free that are 3 or 4 days long in March 2007 and April 2007. There is one 4-day period in May 2007 that is available. Dustin just expects CIV to be during the exact day of 30th anniversary of Star Wars. Even though that day is full, CI-CIII were not on the opening day of their perspective films so I am not worried. Indianapolis all the way for Celebration IV.

9. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    *sigh*

Sorry to burst your bubble but Indy has been off the list for several months. This has been confirmed from several sources. It will not happen there. No way. No how. Accept it.

As far as the unamed actor. I know exactly which actor's agent it was who spilled the beans. It wasn't reported at TheForce.net but it was stated on the forums of a specific fan group that everyone knows. Also on that same forum, in the same topic, was a report from a member who did the simple thing. He called the LA Convention Center and asked what was booked for May of 2007. The answer? E3 (Electronics and Entertainment Expo) and Star Wars Celebration.

Its a done deal. Seriously folks. What Steve Sansweet is referring to is final legal stuff and setting up stuff like hotel and perhaps airline deals. The location however is selected.

You can either delude yourself and pretend its in another city; or you can bitch and moan and complain about the selection, but no matter what city was chosen would end up with people bitching and moaning and complaining; or you can accept the fact its in LA and either figure out how to get there or decide not to go.

10. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Well, we can be lonely together then Daj.

11. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    I'll be there too.

12. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I'll definetly be there!

13. ValedaKor

ValedaKor Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Well, if what Woofer says is true, wow. Queen Amidala may think it's easy to get around here without a car, but it's not that easy -- especially if you're lugging a big costume or a ton of stuff you've bought at the store. And it's not going to be like you can run back to the room and drop stuff off in a timely fashion.... There's been a raging debate for years about public transit in Los Angeles, because there isn't enough of it and it's not efficient. This isn't New York -- the subways she seems so fond of don't run all night, for instance. And I don't know about you, but I don't think I want to be on a MTA bus in downtown L.A. at 11 at night LOL. Not my idea of a good thing, and I've lived out here all my life.

If this rumor is true, all I can assume is that the convention organizers know they'll have to run a shuttle system, just like all the other L.A. conventions do. I hope they get some insight on shuttle systems from Comic-Con; the organizers of that have it pretty down pat.

In any event, the Los Angeles Fan Force stands ready to welcome everyone who cares to come, to Los Angeles! We're prepared to help anyone in any way, with area information, whatever. What we save in airfare and accommodations we'll spend on parties for you'all :).

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Now that would be a smart thing to do. Wonder how many call's the Con Center has gotten today :p

Yay :) I'll hold you to that Dingo!

15. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Woofer you keep saying that it has been confirmed but you aren't saying by who and where.

PPOR

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I'm going to call after work, in 1.75 hours.

17. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    High level sources have confirmed that everything is unconfirmed until officially confirmed.

18. jakejar

jakejar Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 23, 2004
    Hmm, I'm wondering if that gives those of us not wanting/able to go to LA hope or are you just saying official confirmation hasn't happened yet?

jakejar

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I called the LA convention center, Star Wars Celebration is on their list for May 5th, 2007.

20. QueenAmidalaEP1

Sep 15, 2005
    That's only a Sunday!?! There should be multiple days and it's also earlier in the month then most sources were saying.

Also note that sources are saying that several Convention Centers may have dates blocked for C4 (of course they are also saying pack your sunscreen ;)

*High level sources have confirmed that everything is unconfirmed until officially confirmed.*

21. Sebulba-X

Mar 11, 2000
    The exact weekend seems fuzzy, but the month, year, and location seem to have come into focus, so there's now an official thread about C4's unofficial announcement.

22. joesdomain

joesdomain Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 14, 2006
    I called LA Convention Center. The guy kindly acted funny when I ask for Star wars celebration. Then he took forever to say that something was scheduled has (unconfirmed)-was the very word he said that May 23-29, 2007 had Star Wars Gen Con but then I got disappointed from him saying that. So I called the event director of Gen Con and he said there are no contracts for Celebration IV in Los Angelos Convention Center or any city convention center. He also said no Lucasfilm or Lucas License person contacted him or any other Gencon representative about doing a Celebration IV in 2007. Something is fishy! False rumors and speculation is going around wildly. I expect many convention centers in the US have dummy CIV schedule in for may, 2007 to throw fans off. Only time will tell! Gen Con representative said starwars.com and gencon.com would have official announcement on their website if they did have a contract for a Celebration.

23. Lily_Skywalker

Lily_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2002
    This was on Gencon's website

http://www.gencon.com/2006/socal/registration/default.aspx

The banner is a pic of Han. Gencon only has 2006 events on it's site

24. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    That right there tells me we're close to getting an official announcement.

25. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well, no.. it says they are having a gaming convention in Southern California starting November 16th

Interestingly its also not at the LACC. Its in Anaheim! http://www.anaheimconventioncenter.com/eventsOpen.cfm?id=1031

Ponder on this I will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.