main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Charity Opportunity for our Chapter

Discussion in 'Archive: King of Prussia, PA' started by Calixte, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calixte

Calixte Jedi Youngling star 4

May 3, 2002
    Garrison Carida of the 501st is planning a charity visit to St. Christopher's hospital on October 12. I have inquired if we can go, and Jason wrote back saying 'the more the merrier'. This is a COSTUMED event. This is our opportunity to see how the Garrison does a charity event and learn what is involved. We will be attending to help, observe and learn. Please mark this on your calendars and stay tuned for further details as they become available!
    Jenni

Original message posted on Garrison listserv:
    I am currently planning another hospital visit to St. Chrisopher's Hospital in Philadelphia, for October 12th or 26th. We trooped there last year and it was a tremendous event. The hospital is located at Front and Erie Streets in Phila. Not a great neighborhood, but great kids. I'll keep you informed of the confirmation date. It should take place at 1:00 pm. All Squires and Honorary Members are encouraged to attend, if possible. This is the way to see what this Garrison is made of.
    Jeff

2. Admiral Hackbar

Admiral Hackbar Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 14, 1999
    I've been locked up in CHOP for over 3 months and you guys plan a visit to our rival hospital? For shame!

Oh well, I got to meet Hank Fraley, Paul Grasmanis, Chad Lewis, and Brian Westbrook the other day.

Seriously guys, I think this is a great oppurtunity for you. The way the children's faces light up when people come to visit them is the greatest sight in the world.

P.S. sorry I haven't kept in touch but I have limited access to the internet. Also if you don't know who I am and what I'm blathering about ask Calixte. Here's hoping I can join you guys some time next year.

3. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    I need to start getting a count for who will attend this hospital visit....

You are welcome in costume or out. But if you are coming in costume I need to know which character you are dressing as.

Thanks!

4. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I will be there as a jedi.

5. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Ok everyone - so far I've got Wendy and me to attend this event. Any other takers??

Also, I'm passing around the "Chapter bucket". We are taking SW toy donations to distribute at the hospital. Garrison Carida is short 50 toys - if anyone can spare $5, $10 or even $25 to buy SW toys (no weapons) I would appreciate it. All toys will be distributed or if we have more than we need they'll be saved for a future event. Thanks!

Jenni

6. JediElfQueen

JediElfQueen Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2002
    Kev and I are definately going to this now... Though depending on traffic we may be a little late... (I have to teach until 12)

We need to know details about where to meet and stuff...

He'll be going as Obi-wan and I'll be a regular run of the mill Jedi. *L*

Julia

7. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Ok, so I've got Julia, Kev, Wendy, me and maybe Tim. Any body else??

Anyone want to help us get toys to give out?? PM me!!!

8. TenguJedi

TenguJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    Em and I are interested. Sorry it took so long to commit but we had some personal issues. So 1 Jedi and 1 Smuggler. I'll need directions though.

9. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    St. Christopher's Hospital Address:

Erie Ave At Front St, Philadelphia, PA 19134

Best to do a Yahoo or Mapquest map.

Also, try to be there by noon. Go in the Main Entrance. If you are not sure, ask a staffperson where the SW group is meeting.

Event starts at 1pm.

:)

10. JediElfQueen

Sep 10, 2002
    Kev and I will be there around 12:30 or 12:45 depending on traffic...

I have to teach in Conshohocken until 12:00...

Can't wait!!! :)

Julia

11. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm trying to get an idea as to what kinds of SW toys to bring.. What age group are we talking about? Any ideas as to what we should bring?

12. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    any SW toys are appropriate except for weapons. i think each child gets one toy.

13. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Em had the idea of picking up some of the Playschool SW toys. They are really cute, I assume there will be children of the right age for that?

14. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    I would assume that there would be all ages of children at the hospital. And if for some reason there are not children of the right age then we can just save the toys for the next hospital visit. :)

15. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Last minute instructions from Garrison Carida:

All who are attending. Park in the main parking garage at Front and Erie. Go to the main entrance. ASK FOR LINDSAY, from Child Life. They are expecting us. We should try to be at the hospital by 11:00 am. They are very excited to have us back. This will be awesome! Thanks for all the support gang.

From me:
    The guys need to get in armor that's why the 11am meet time. Teh rest of us can plan on getting there about noon. I'll already be dressed.

16. Calixte

May 3, 2002
    Big Thank You to Rick, Emmi and Wendy for coming out to St. Christopher's yesterday. We helped Garrison Carida bring a smile to about 75 kids, presenting each of them with a brand new Star Wars toy and a polaroid with their favorite costumed characters! We all had dinner together afterwards at Dick Clark's in KofP. Great job everyone!

Julia and Kevin, we missed you! :)

17. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Thanks for inviting us to be a part of something so awesome. I know I was almost brought to tears by some of the children. It felt so great to make those children smile like that. We can't wait for the next event.

Thanks Jenni and thanks to Carida Garrison for having us.

18. Maleficant

Maleficant Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 16, 2002
    I agree, it was tough not to cry at times, but it was great to give these children a reason to smile and hopfully forget why they were in the hospital in the first place, even for just a few minutes.
    I though the folks from the garrison were a first class group and hopfully we can join forces with them again soon.
    BTW, I want to see some pics!

19. JediElfQueen

Sep 10, 2002
    Nothing like working double time to get Kev's Obi-wan Boots and Belt in shape just to have our sitter cancel on us the night before. :(

I heard it said once, it's not the one who wears the pants in the family that calls the shots, it's the one who wears the diaper... *LOL*

Anyway... I'm glad the kids enjoyed the time and you all had so much fun... that's what's important afterall. :)

Julia

20. TenguJedi

Jan 29, 2002
    Garrison Carida has posted pictures of this eventon their website.

www.garrisoncarida.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.