main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga First Command (Luke challenge fic) - replies up

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-2B, Apr 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    Title: First Command
    Author: Jedi-2B
    Timeline: Between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back
    Genre: Humor
    Rating: G
    Category: Challenge Fic
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Rebel pilots, H/L
    Summary: Luke's first mission as an officer has unexpected obstacles
    Notes: Written for Rynne's April Showers challenge in the Luke characterization thread:

Prior to leaving Tatooine in ANH, Luke likely didn't have much experience with water. Write a fic where he encounters it, positively or negatively.

Must include the words:

Ponderous
    Assuage
    Exhilaration
    Dubious

Oh, and a big THANKS to PonyTricks for betaing this for me, and helping to improve it. :D

FIRST COMMAND

Rebel Base

"They made you a lieutenant?" Pausing in his repairs on the Falcon as Luke Skywalker walked up, Han Solo shook his head in amusement. "I knew this outfit was hard up, kid."

"You don't think I'm capable?"

Han laid one hand on his younger friend's shoulder in an attempt to assuage Luke's obvious worry. "You know I'm just jokin', Luke. Course you're capable." He favored Luke with a wink. "Show 'em what a Jedi-wannabe is made of."

Only partially relieved, Luke gave Han a weak smile. "Uh, thanks."

"So, they give you an assignment yet?"

Luke's eyes lit up in obvious enthusiasm. "Yes. Tomorrow morning I take three of the other pilots, and we infiltrate a possible Imperial base on Quedor IV."

"Just you four?" Han frowned. "Four fighter pilots?"

"It has to be small ships," Luke explained. "So we can avoid detection. We'll have to land at least ten or fifteen kilometers away, of course, then travel on foot to the base. Once we get there, all we have to do is snap some holos and plant some listening bugs. Easy as dak-pie." He grinned widely. "In fact, I'd better get going, Han. I have to map out our route to the base."

"Okay, kid. Good luck." Han snapped off a jaunty salute. "May the Force be with you."

~~~~~~

Quedor IV

By late afternoon the next day, Lieutenant Luke Skywalker was tightening down the camouflage netting over his X-wing, ignoring Artoo-Detoo's squeals of protest at being left behind. His companions - Wedge Antilles, Wes Janson, and Hobbie Klivian - were finishing up as well, and preparing for their upcoming hike to the enemy encampment. Soon the group was making its way over the rocky terrain, with Luke carefully checking the map on his datapad. After the third trek up and down deep ravines, Wes could no longer keep silent.

"You sure this is the best route, boss?"

"I'm sure," Luke said, wiping sweat from his brow. "It's a straight path to the base, so it's bound to be the fastest route."

"I think I'd rather try out a crooked path," Hobbie quipped. "My feet are starting to hurt."

"Quit your whining, you two," Wedge snapped. "If Luke says this is the best way, then this is the best way." He cast a dubious glance toward Luke. "Isn't that right, sir?"

"Wedge?" Luke shook his head. He didn't think he'd ever get used to being in command of anyone, especially his fellow pilots and friends. "Let's just keep going."

~~~

They were halfway to the base when Wes and Hobbie were the first to clamber up a steep slope.

"Sithspit!" Hobbie looked back at Luke with a look of disbelief. "Are you sure this is the route you want us to take? Sir?"

"Why? It should be only a grassy plain on the other side of this ridge," Luke protested. He hurried up to where the two men stood. "Can't you- Blaster bolts!" Luke's jaw dropped at the sight of a clear blue lake. "This can't be right!"

"Can I see that map of yours?" Wedge asked, holding out one hand. When Luke handed him the datapad, he studied it for a moment, then narrowed his eyes at his commanding officer. "Uh, what made you think this was a plain?"

Luke snatched the map back. "Lampress Lake. It says it right there. And I know tha

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    LOL! This is a wonderful viggie, Jedi-2B! Just think... in a few years, Luke would have been able to levitate across the lake, rather than take that cold, cold swim. ;)

Great job! =D= =D=

EDIT - And I got the first post, too! :D

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! I was going to write a response to this challenge but I know there's no way I can equal this! [face_batting]

Seriously, that was wonderful! It was so great seeing Luke before he becomes this all powerful Jedi Master, heck he's not even a real Jedi yet! [face_laugh]

Your characterizations were SPOT ON! Bravo! =D=

4. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Awwwwwww!

Squeeee!

That was just the most adorable thing ever!! Poor Luke, what a mistake that was... Dune Sea, Lampress Lake... [face_laugh]

Great job, loved the awkwardness of poor Luke and all the characterizations were terrific. I love it!

5. Callina

Callina Jedi Youngling star 1

May 15, 2005
    [face_laugh] That was great. Poor Luke. How could he know better, growing up on a dustball like Tatooine? I'm glad you had Luke make up for it with the TIEs.

All the characterization was wonderful - Hobbie, Janson, Luke, Leia, Wedge, and Han. I loved the ending. The dialogue was perfect to Leia and Han. Kudos for a wonderfully humorous story.

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    This was great. I can see Luke making a mistake like that. It's not like he's had any experience with water. And he certainly wouldn't know how to swim. The ribbing from his cohorts was expected and I can them bringing it up again. And again. Han will tease him about it too. I love Pilot Luke stories.

7. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very nice seeing him not the all powerful Jedi Master. Just one of the guys.

8. Golden_Jedi

Golden_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 10, 2005
    Absolutely sweet!

9. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was wonderful. I loved that Luke was able to overcome his fear and do the right thing. I loved that Wedge was so patient with him with the clowns, Hobbie and Janson, just tried to make things lighter by making everything into a joke. Loved the ending with Han and Leia talking about his escapade.

Great job.

10. Feng_Huang

Feng_Huang Jedi Master star 2

Apr 17, 2005
    very funny and sweet, Luke is so [face_love][face_love][face_love]

11. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Bwah-haha! [face_laugh] That was so cute it made my face hurt. :p You need to write in the Saga more often! [face_batting]

12. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    Great Story, Jedi-2B!

Luke snatched the map back. "Lampress Lake. It says it right there. And I know that lampress is a kind of wild grass. So this should be a field of grass."

"It also says lake," Wes pointed out, looking for the world like he wanted to add 'you dummy.'

"But, that doesn't mean there has to be water," Luke maintained, feeling his heart sink. "I grew up by the Dune Sea. It was a sea of sand dunes, not water."

Wonderfully amusing, and such a funny, but logical, mistake to make for Luke. Hilarious.
    I like the way you captured him iin his transformation between farmboy and squadron leader, you did his character very well.
    And the banter between him and his comrades was priceless.

"The little fishies nibbling at your toes?" Wes said with a snicker.

"Maybe it's that field of lampress grass," Hobbie added, laughing.

I could copy and paste about all the incident.
    As well as the exchange between him han and Leia at the end. You're very good with the characters!=D= =D=

13. SilentWolf

SilentWolf Jedi Youngling

Mar 20, 2006
    I loved it so much I read it twice, aww, poor Luke; well he's got to learn how to swim.

"It also says lake," Wes pointed out, looking for the world like he wanted to add 'you dummy.'

[face_laugh]

14. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    "How many days should we give him before inviting him to a swimming party?"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Oh poor Luke! It's bad enough to have made such a mistake but now everybody knows!

He'll never hear the end of it.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

15. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Thanks, everyone, for the enthusiastic replies. :D And for overlooking that I took some liberties with the storyline -- I don't know if Luke was ever a lieutenant (but it seemed like a possibility), and I'm not sure exactly when Wes and Hobbie joined the Rebellion. But the point was just to have a bit of fun, at poor Luke's expense.

PonyTricks: Thanks especially for your suggestions! They really added to the story. [:D]

VaderLVR64: I'm sure you could do a much better challenge fic than I ever could. Give it a shot! And thanks. :D

ginchy: Thanks. You need to give Luke a hug. I think he needs it.

Callina: Glad you liked the characterizations, and the dialogue. I always worry. [face_worried] Thank you!

RebelMom: I'm sure Luke will get endless teasing about this! Thanks, RM!

Healer_Leona: The all-powerful Jedi Master probably would look back on this day and cringe. Thank you!

Golden_Jedi: Thanks! And I want to read your H/L story, too, just as soon as I can.

dianethx: Luke's rebel companions did alot to mold him into the patient, good-natured sweetie that he is. Thanks. :D

Feng_Huang: Thank you. :)

ThePariah: I am kinda a stranger on the Saga boards, I know. Thanks, Moriah.

MsLanna: Rebel Luke is fun to write, I've found. He is smart and naive at the same time. Thanks!

SilentWolf: Who knows? Maybe he'll be wanting to go to a swimming party with Han now. [face_laugh] And I think Wes' 'you dummy' line was my favorite, too. Thanks for your reply!

KELIA: I'm sure the whole base knows about it by now. Poor Luke! Thank you!

16. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Your Wedge was perfect--injecting order and dignity into what could have dissolved into a crazy mess. :D Wes and Hobbie were great too--so funny and so in character. [face_laugh] Loved that Wes was the one to spill the beans. ;) And Luke: of course he was perfect. His mistake was totally plausible and his Force ability and attunement came in handy indeed. I was glad Wedge was able to point that out. :) And to treat the floatation device like it was a woman and hug it tight, [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I know the timing is way off--but if this was a later time or a AU timeline, it would be great if he could picture Mara in a fierce embrace. [face_mischief] That was a marvelous treat. =D=

17. ___Sithspawn___

___Sithspawn___ Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 17, 2004
    That was wonderful - Luke's naiveté and awkwardness was adorable.

"But, that doesn't mean there has to be water," Luke maintained, feeling his heart sink. "I grew up by the Dune Sea. It was a sea of sand dunes, not water."

That one sure made me giggle, and I loved your characterization of Luke's fellow pilots.

Excellent viggie.

18. JadeLotus

JadeLotus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2005
    I love Rogue!Luke so much, and the poor thing gets so neglected...this was wonderful! =D=

The characterisation was perfect for Luke and the 'boys considering the time in their lives and position in the Rebellion. And Luke - such a farmboy mistake, but understandable. I think many people in the Rebellion probably only saw him as that whiz-kid who blew up the Death Star, not realising how sheltered his life had been. He had a lot of responsibility placed on him, which shows up clearly here.

Witty and entertaining response to the challenge.

19. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [:D]

Oh, that was wonderful!! Loved the Rogues and Luke was priceless!

Excellent viggie and the perfect way to start off a Monday morning with a big ol' grin. :D

Han favored Leia with his lopsided grin. "How many days should we give him before inviting him to a swimming party?"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Beautiful!

20. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Actually, Wes was already with the Alliance before Yavin; he'd been flying in the Taanab Yellow Aces. And Hobbie was with Biggs when they defected from the Rand Ecliptic. So you did right by using them! :D

21. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Jade_eyes: Luke might not have made it without Wedge! If Luke ever goes swimming with Mara, maybe he will think back on this day. ;) Thanks.

___Sithspawn___: Thank you! And at least this 'Luke meets water' fic had a happier ending than yours. :eek:

JadeLotus: Thanks! Actually, this was my first try at writing about this time frame of his life. Glad you liked it. :D

Jedi Trace: Monday mornings need something light and funny, don't they? :p Thanks, Trace. :D

ThePariah: Good, I'm safe then. My old SW Encyclopedia doesn't give too much info, tho it did say that even tho Hobbie defected with Biggs, he wasn't at Yavin, but joined Rogue Squadron at Hoth. It doesn't really say when he would've joined up with Luke's circle before Hoth (before the Rogues were officially formed). And wasn't it Hobbie that apparently died during the Hoth battle, then mysteriously was resurrected? :confused:

22. Astronut

Astronut Jedi Master star 1

Dec 12, 2005
    This is brillant! I love seeing 'vunerable Luke' like this. It's an excellent look into the original Rogues and Luke as a commanding officer. It's nice to see a story where Luke wasn't born all knowing, he had to learn. Very creative, good job!

23. Rynne

Rynne Jedi Master star 1

Jul 13, 2005
    Now that I finally have time to reply...

I loved it! I was really hoping someone would write a Rebellion-era story (there's so not enough of it), and this was such a great depiction of that era.

I totally had to wince for poor Luke right there. It's not his fault he grew up in a desert...

The interaction between Luke, Wedge, Wes, and Hobbie was wonderful. Great combination of teasing and encouragement. :D

But, being the fangirl I am, I especially loved Luke. Being naive enough to make that mistake in the first place, still taking responsibility for it despite his fear, then making up for it by sensing the TIEs and then sensing when they were gone... *happy sigh* All of those things are some of the reason I love Luke so much, and you always do so well at characterizing him.

And the ending was great. :D Han and Leia, laughing about it, but Leia still saying that Luke is the brains compared to Han... [face_laugh]

Wonderful job, as always!

24. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Great work! I loved seeing Luke at this point -- I agree with everyone else that we don't get to see enough of the farmboy side to him. ;) All the reactions were fantastic, from Wedge and the other pilots through to Han and Leia. Even the little touches like Luke's sensitivity at the beginning re whether Han thinks he's capable for command were perfectly in character. :D I really enjoyed the story, well done! =D=

25. Jedi-2B

Nov 2, 2000
    Astronut: Yes, Luke had a lot to learn during his Rebellion years. Luckily he was such a likable guy that no one minded giving him a hand. (Or did they? Hmmm... giving myself plot bunnies here...) Thanks. :D

Rynne: It just seemed to me like the early Rebellion years would've been when Luke learned to swim. And I wanted to show him comfortable enough with his buddies to accept their teasing, but at the same time able to earn their respect. It was a great challenge, Rynne. Thanks for thinking it up. :D

Knight_Aragorn: Another great author taking time to read my little bit of silliness. [face_blush] I'm honored!

I can see Luke being worried about measuring up. He destroyed the Death Star; he's the son of a Jedi -- the expectations loaded on his shoulders had to be overwhelming. Thank you, K_A!

EDITED, 7/15/06: I want to thank whoever nommed this fic for Best Humor (there had to be at least 4 of you) in the Summer Saga Awards. I appreciate it! And good luck to everyone in all three Awards shows. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.