main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Ep 3 public screenings May 16th in London

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by Ghostface1701, Mar 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 4, 2005
    Hello all, I'm new here but a long-time fan of Star Wars. I work in a Leicester Square cinema, and recently read an e-mail from 20th Century Fox detailing a major Star Wars event they're planning in Leicester Square. I sent it to theforce.net and aintitcool, but for some reason they don't seem interested! I know that some of you are planning a meet around that time and want to see the usual midnight first show (as I did with Ep 2), but I thought you should know that you'll need to change your plans.

On Monday May 16th, 5 screens in Leicester Square will show the previous 5 films of the saga, one film per screen repeated all day. Then, at approx 7:30pm, the Odeon Leicester Square will host the premiere of Episode III. But then, one hour after the premiere starts, 3 of the 5 screens I mentioned will do a one-off screening of Episode III to the public! These I believe, will be the first public screenings of Episode III in the world.

More details will be released by Fox eventually, including exact times of shows and ticket prices. I know there will be a limited number of 'Golden Tickets' that will let you see every film on the day from Ep 1 at 6:30am until the Ep 3 premiere.

At the moment, the screens showing the films are:

Vue Screen 1: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Vue Screen 2: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    Odeon West End 1: Episode IV: A New Hope
    Odeon West End 2: Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    Empire Leicester Square: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

Vue 1, Odeon 1 and Empire will show Revenge of the Sith at approx 8:30pm. Empire at least will screen Ep III on a digital projector. I'm betting the Original Trilogy prints will be the ones used for the special edition release from '97, but nothing's certain yet.

Fox are also hoping to decorate the square in a Star Wars theme, and have a group of Stormtroopers and appearances by some of the cast. Each cinema will be decorated inside in the theme of the Episode they're screening.

Hopefully all these things will happen, and this will be one of the biggest events Leicester Square has ever seen. I hope this information was useful to you all. You probably won't hear about this from any official source until the details are final, which could be the end of the March.

Should I post this info on any of the other boards? Is there an interest in this beyond London fans?

2. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    Good morning. Yes, that certainly will be of interest to others outside of the London area -- I'm from just outside of Birmingham, myself, and that would certainly be of interest to me.

AICN and TF.N are always picky about their news, and are probably looking for confirmation before posting said news.

Go ahead, post it in the UK General forum, as I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in hearing this.

I'm also sure the 3SA forum might be interested in this, so you might want to think of posting it there to...You'll definetly find some interest in there.

Just ask one of the moderators before posting, just in case it might be construded as spam in there.

3. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    OK, I'll try doing that, thanks! :)

4. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    any idea on what it would cost? is it going to be extra for the early show or just normal cinema prices?

or am i asking for too much too early?

5. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    To early to say yet, but my guess would be normal West End prices for the public shows, around £6-8 before 5pm. £10-12 for any shows starting after 5, which could include Ep3. The 'Golden Ticket' though would be MUCH more as it includes the premiere.

Of course, at this stage, any of this could change.

6. ask-the-younglings

ask-the-younglings Jedi Youngling star 5

Jan 18, 2004
    Cool - plz post info as you get it: I don't want to miss out on this

7. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    This news has now been posted on the front page theforce.net. One detail they missed out was that the golden ticket I mentioned will get you in to the 5 movies during the day and the premiere of Episode 3. Don't expect these tickets to be cheap (and I hear they'll be limited to around 400).

If and when I hear anything else, this'll be my first stop. However, I don't expect to hear anything for a few weeks, the marketing teams are at work on this for now.

8. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    WOW! This is great news, especially I have an exam on the afternoon of the 18th so the midnight showing then is pretty much a no go.

Is there any chance there will be a "silver" ticket that will get you into the five films and one of the public ROTS showings? Or will all six have to be booked seperatly if you don't get a Golden Ticket?

Thanks for the news!!

9. thebrit

thebrit Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 6, 2005
    thanks for posting up the tidbits. The KEY info to get hold if will what charities will benefit from the premiere (if there is one). They'll typically get the tickets non?

Odeon.uk are being cagey at this stage:

Thank you for your email.

I have spoken to the Odeon Leicester Square who have heard no such rumours
    about a Star Wars marathon on the day of the premiere.

With regard to premiere tickets, premiere tickets are usually controlled
    by the relevant film distributor and not by the cinema exhibitor. Premiere
    tickets
    are generally allocated by one of two ways; either by invite, or sold in
    aid of a selected charity. To find out about forthcoming premieres
    and to try and request tickets, it is advisable to visit the distributors
    individual websites that can provide you with further information and
    details of how to acquire tickets.

Best Wishes

Jon

10. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Typical
    All these people slagging of the EMPIRE theatre and its showing the best movie :p

11. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    I've booked the week off work now - should cover any eventualities :p

12. jimbo747

jimbo747 Jedi Youngling

Mar 18, 2005
    Any news on how to get hold of the tickets???
    I've just seen that you can book tickets online in advance from the 24th march from both the odeon and empire @ leicester square. Not sure if it includes this Star Wars marathon though.

13. ask-the-younglings

Jan 18, 2004
    ~bumps thread, eager for any news~

14. sheep21

sheep21 Jedi Master star 2

Jul 27, 2004
    Im trying to find out how i can get tickets for Odeon leicester square on 16th but i cant find any on odeon home page, help please?

15. baleno_lad

baleno_lad Jedi Youngling

Mar 22, 2005
    As far as I can tell there is no 'official' word on the May 16th screenings from any of the cinemas.

UCI tickets for the film are on sale from 24th March and Vue also on the 24th.

Odeon's tickets go on sale from friday 25th March. The Odeon Leic Sq wont have a special screening on the 16th either way as it is hosting the premier that night (very special screening!)

The fact that the movie is mentioned on the UCI site when you click on the Empire as a choice - makes me think they must be doing something special before release date as usually it's only the Odeon Leicester Square that shows it.

My tip is to check out the websites / call centres for each cinema group as soon as they go on sale.

At least i dont need to fly to the USA like i did in 1999 due to release lag.

Keep me posted anyone who knows confirmed performance times on the 16th

Thanks

16. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    Don't bother the booking lines with queries about the 16th. The entire event is still unconfirmed, so ticket sales are still some way off. The pre-booking that all the cinema chains are starting this week is for screenings from May 19th only.

17. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    A brief update: Keep an eye on starwars.com next week for news. That's what I've heard anyway. Also, some of the details have changed, but nothing to worry about.

Time to start saving up!

18. baleno_lad

Mar 22, 2005
    Hi Ghostface1701.

What details have changed? And what else do you know? Gooo on, you know you want to tell us.

If you dont i might bore you with dull details of the free Nokia Silver Star Wars box set i got hold of.Haha.

I would be so so happy to see the movie 3 days before the official release date.

Spill the beans, please!

19. Stuey

Stuey Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 30, 2002
    yes, to baleno_lad you listen

20. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
  21. Ghostface1701

Mar 4, 2005
    I don't want to say too much, Fox were unhappy I leaked the previous information. OK, most of what I originally said will still happen. The major change is that the all day marathon of all the films will take place at one venue only: The Empire, and they've got alot of fancy stuff planned for that. Odeon West End and Vue West End will only show Episode III, but that might be enough for some of you :) It may not be cheap though, but I'll let starwars.com and the cinema websites hit you with that next week!

Remember, don't try to book tickets yet or ask the cinemas directly or they'll get suspicious again. Patience you must have.

22. baleno_lad

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks a lot for this info Ghostface. I guess the cinemas will let us know how to get tickets for any of this. Queue, i will.

Starwars.com seems to have a lot of US orientated news on it. Where would any UK stuff appear?

Thanking you, i am.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Excellent news
    Good thing I've held off buying tickets for ROTS so far.

24. Darth_Daver

Darth_Daver Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 23, 2005
    I've held off too, hope it isn't too expensive....

25. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Well I doubt it would be more then £20

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.