main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First hints as to Indy IV's 'sacred object'

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by jp-30, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
  2. JediSF

JediSF Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    Kressh, do you think it is more vague than the Sankara Stones or the Thugee clan? I only ask because Hinduism was kind of "unknown" in the USA of the '80s. I just feel like he's going to break away from the Judeo-Christian variety. Something in the Middle East is also pretty solid direciton, but it just seems to ignore the biggest open conflict of the 50s.

3. Ludo_Kressh

Ludo_Kressh Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 30, 2005
    Kressh, do you think it is more vague than the Sankara Stones or the Thugee clan?

Yes, you have a point there, but I think more people may have heard of Sheba or the Sankara Stones then of the Dangan legend and it seems it would need to be something Indy needed to find before someone else did such as finding the Ark and the Grail before the Nazis.

I'm not denouncing your suggestion, JediSF, it's just an opinion.(It seems rather interesting actually.)[face_peace]

4. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I think it would depend on how they might spin it. If it was connected to the Nazca Lines or the Temple of Seti at Abydos, Egypt then it could work. It would be alittle Stargatish, but it could work in the Indyverse if handled properly.

As for how they might handle the proof, don't forget that they Holy Grail ended up at the bottom of a bottomless chasm and the Ark of the Covanent was buried in a government warehouse.

5. Darth_Ozzy

Darth_Ozzy Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002

hmm, i was totally against anything to do with ufos.. but when you put it like that...

i think if it were to bring in the ET aspect, it should be hinted at... maybe like a realization at the very end that its something not of this world... but dont actaully show the darn things... it could go horribly wrong.

unless, it was the ship from flight of the navigator and we hear the computer say compliance at least once... ha , only kidding...

personally i wouldnt mind - as long as its done properly- having some sort of atlantis envolvement...

actually , there are enough theories envolving atlantis that they could use it to tie raiders into indy IV as there are some theories ive read that tie the atlantians and their power source to egypt and the ark of the covenant... and also that it had something to do with an alien pressence.

so for example (this just popped in my head so give me a break if it sounds stupid later) indy could somehow be tracking down some artifact or something to do with atlantis(their mysterious power source would tie in nicely- if the soviets or americans were after the 'ultimate power source'), find out it envolves something to do with the arc of the covenant (enter marion ravenwood, and possibly Abner???!) and then at the very end, he comes to the realization that there is something non human involved (here i think, given their record, speilberg and lucas would probably leave it open ended as to wether the otherworldly power was god or an et)

and thus, we would have the typical reaffirmation of belief in mystic forces that comes with each indy film... the ufo people would be happy and the raiders fans would have something to chew on... everyone wins... except the short round fans... but you cant win em all..

6. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I like that Ozzy. There's some potential in that idea.

7. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003

This is the best Indy IV Plot idea I have heard yet Darth_Ozzy.=D= It ties a lot of elements together: Atlantis, UFOs, and past connections like Egypt, the Ark, Marion Ravenwood, and her mysterious Father Abner Ravenwood; who we have heard about but never seen. I like it, and it is very plausible. Seriously, I think you might be on to something.:eek:[face_praying]

8. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    I really don't think they should bring past Indy films into Indy 4, regardless of whether or not it's the final chapter. Each of the movies has always been a self contained narative that does not rely on the others. Each story should be completely self sufficient.

9. LordSilvertouch

LordSilvertouch Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2003
    Self contained narratives are good. We don't want an Indiana Jones Homage Film, we want Indy IV - not a wry not to the past three, but a new chapter.

The UFO element is a bad idea to take seriously, but it would be funny if some sidekick thought that the quest was about UFO hunting, or was a fanatic or something, and Indy didn't believe at all. They shouldn't do serious UFOs, since, y'know, in a period setting, that would basically be a rehash of Taken, and it doesn't sit well with the Indiana Jones universe.

10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Not necessarily. As I said it would depend on how Spielberg and Lucas might decide to spin it. I would agree that the movie can't end with Indy meeting little green men or uncovering a government conspiracy, but Indy discovering Atlantis and learning that the Atlanteans had access to what might be alien technology would work. As for flying saucers not sitting well with the rest of the Indyverse, again I disagree, Indy is constantly encountering the paranormal and supernatural forces on his travels.So long as there are no actual aliens depicted, UFOs aren't out of place at all in the Indyverse.

11. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Have you read the previous attempts at using this plot line? If not, PM and we can work out a way for me to transfer the script to you.

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The new IJ videogame that wa slated for 2007 has been pushed back to 2008 to tie in with the marketing and publicity push around movie's release.

http://www.lucasarts.com/games/indianajones/

The game is said to include some cinematics from the movie (I take that to mean some footage that finds its way into the game will be shot while IJIV is filming - could be nothing more than panoramas etc).

Also, the game will in some way tie into the movie (even though they're set 20 odd years apart) - which one might summise is via a common character, location, or object.

If it is a common object in the game and the movie, this may be a clue;

puts you in the fedora of the legendary adventure hero as he unravels the clues found in ancient artifacts spanning the globe. From San Francisco's Chinatown to the world's most sacred ground, Indy must use his fists, whip and trusty revolver to fight through ruthless opposition and piece together a mystery of biblical proportions

So, the game at least seems to be back to biblical artifacts - does that mean the movie too is headed down that path once again...

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    QFT.

14. Lavaman

Lavaman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2003
    I wish people would bring their own ideas to the table, instead of just saying how other peoples ideas are wrong.[face_plain]

15. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Well, I believe I've mentioned being interested in a garden of eden plot.

16. TheMcguffin

TheMcguffin Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 29, 2004
    <---- Hey, look...I'm the sacred object. [face_hypnotized]

-TheMcGuffin (after all, I'm only here to advance the story)

17. Darth_Ozzy

May 20, 2002

I agree to a point, i want one that is self contained but a few nods to the past, if done properly would be nice imo - also, at this point its pretty much a given that there will be some tie in to at least one of the other indy films given the envolvement of the women of indys past - either that or a lot of heavy flashbacking is on the way...

18. DarthLowBudget

Jan 17, 2004
    Who knows if that plot elemant is still present in the script, that rumour goes back a real long way.

19. Finsolo

Finsolo Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2006
    How about the fertility idol,it was taken straight from Indy´s hands...
    It would bug him the same way like the Cross of Coronado.
    But it´s all guesswork until we see the film...

20. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    Excalibur.

UKS

21. Loco_for_Lucas

Loco_for_Lucas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 15, 2002
    Hmmm, for me, I would have like to have seen Indy take on the Communist Red Army, like in the Infernal Machine game, but that would have had to have been ten years ago when Ford was a bit younger. Due to his age, I have a feeling they might push the story's setting back even further, maybe into the 60s, and it's kinda odd thinking what Indy might be like in that time frame.

Honestly, I can see him actually being comfortable as a university professor at this point. We see him as a rugged man fending off bobby sock college girls in the other films, but during the 60s, it would be a nice ironic twist to have him go through the halls (instead of out the window) and be virtually ignored by the girls as they go after the younger professors. It showing him settled in, actually happy with what he does, not having to worry about being the focal point of anyone's attention, until the McGuffin appears and it turns out he knows enough about it for him to be the one man to stop it from being taken by the wrong people.

In a time where older characters are showing their age and coming to terms, ie Rocky, it is a great time to bring back Indiana Jones. And I think it's brilliant to bring back a nostalgiac character back in a nostalgiac time like the 50s/60s. Basically, have a character recognize his age in a time that's already a distant past for the audience.

22. Darth_Ozzy

May 20, 2002
    ^^ good stuff!

kind of off topic and im sure its one of the things that they will just hope noone noticed but, just how old will indy live to be... he drank from the holy grail remember... and while he will not live forever since he crossed the seal, if you recall the knight that relayed the grail legend died of 'exremely old age' so mabye 60 is the new forty for indy just like his star wars buddies :)

23. Darth-Erevos

Darth-Erevos Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2006

So far we had artifacts from Christian, Judan (sp?), and Hindu mythology.
    We can safely assume that something else will appear for indy IV.
    Now, guesses are....greek, egyptian, norse, islamic, persian (pre-islamic), chinese mythology.
    greek, norse and chinese are more to the epic side than religious and they are not a sensitive topic. Egyptian can be mystic and religious but its not sensitive either. Maybe they ll connect it with islamic?
    My bet is middle east. Maybe islamic or persian. Especially in pre-islamic mythology we have lots of artifacts and interesting stories.

24. StarDude

StarDude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 28, 2001
    I'll bet money that it's Islamic. Lucas calling it connected and controversial strongly suggests that.

25. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Cinematographer Janusz Kaminski says Indy 4 will shoot in many jungle locales which I think rules out a majority of the middle east. I'm thinking Africa and South America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.