main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First JW you fell in love with

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sache8, Nov 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sache8

Sache8 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2000
    Does anyone else remember the first piece of JW music that got you hooked?

For me, it was Luke and Leia. And though I've come to like some pieces even more, that particular piece holds a very special place of honor in my heart. No matter how many times I hear those flutes in the opening bars, it always makes me smile and takes me back...

2. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I agree. The Luke&Leia theme is, in my opinion, the most beautiful and touching Williams has ever composed.
    And I also love the choir when luke attacks Vader in the end. Perhaps that was the JW-piece that had the greatest impact on me.

3. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    For me it would have to be the theme from Jurassic Park. I got a book of JP piano music and played it so much.

4. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    I remember enjoying the music to Home Alone 2 and Jurassic Park when I saw them in theaters. And I was very familiar with the "Raiders March" from my repeat viewings of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on video. But it wasn't really until I saw the Star Wars films in '95 that I fell in love with the works of John Williams.

5. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Hmmm, too many late fans in here! :)

For me, I don't know when, I don't know which, but it was obviously a lifelong obsession with the music of the Star Wars movies and Superman.

6. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    For me, it was The Asteroid Field, from the ESB soundtrack. I played hockey when I was a kid, and I used to have that music going all through my head while I was playing, "back in the day." Loving that led to everything else.

7. Dark_Sith_Alf

Dark_Sith_Alf Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000
    Mine was The Battle of Yavin.

8. Darth_Potter

Darth_Potter Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 2, 2001
    into the trap, the dark side beakons, and dual of the fates

9. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Hmmm, well, it was Star Wars music, that's for sure. As for what exact music, hmmm...

I'd probably have to say the Star Wars Theme/Luke's Theme or the Imperial March. I remember singing and whistling and humming those tunes to myself for months after watching the movies. :D

10. Mayhem

Mayhem Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2001
    the First SW soundtrack was great, but the two tracks that hooked me on JW was the Asteroid Field and Han & Leia's theme

11. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    From the time I was a kid I've always had various bits of Williams' SW scores that stick with me, but the one that's been a constant since 1977 is still The Force Theme... quite simply one of the most powerful pieces of music he has ever written for the SW saga.

I'm also a big fan of the music Williams wrote for the moment Luke snaps and attacks Vader at the end of ROTJ. As powerful as the choral parts in Duel Of The Fates are, THAT was the one bit of vocally-enhanced music that Williams really nailed.

12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Right on, Patrick! ROTJ-choir rules :)

13. Jedi of the West

Jedi of the West Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 7, 1999
    For me it was the music from Star Wars.

14. Darth Rayder

Darth Rayder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 1999
    The one that stuck with me even as a kid was the Imperial March. I can't say why. Nowadays I'm partial to the more romantic-sounding themes, such as the JP theme, Luke and Leia, etc. But Imperial March has always been my fave.

15. Shloz

Shloz Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2001
    For me it was the build-up of SW, Raiders, and Superman in quick succession. Quite a lasting impression on a small kid.

However, the pieces that had me truly in awe of JW's ability are "Escape from Cloud City", and the ending scenes of ET. Those dramatic buildups are incredible!

16. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    Hook was the score that hooked (pun intended ;)) me on JW. Absolutely brilliant.

17. HRH-Dior-Daala

HRH-Dior-Daala Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2001
    1 The hologram/binary sunset
    2 princess leia' theme
    3 the iceplanet hoth
    4 snowspeeders take flight
    5 han solo and the princess
    6 the imperial march
    7 the asteriod field
    8 han solo returns
    9 the forest battle

18. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    The Superman theme for me.

19. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I remember enjoying his score from JAWS,
    but what ignited my interest in John Williams is the section of music in ANH from when Vader says "I'm on the leader" until George's credit appears, that captivated me.

The spiritual passage as ObiWan whispers to Luke to "let go "is the perfect accompaniment to those moments. And then again, the music is equally perfect as Luke turns off his computer, the drums kick in and we're off to victory, with the music just right when the Death Star is destroyed. The exuberant, strong, FORCEFUL, romantic and and light, upbeat victorious "feel" to the THRONE ROOM music caps the movie flawlessly.

20. dehrian

dehrian Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 18, 1999
    The first JW I fell in love with was Jennifer Wilson, 8th grade English. God, she was gorgeous. You know, 8th grade gorgeous, anyway...

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Uhhh... ok dehrian... way to think with your... umm... lightsaber... :D

Anyway, the first John Williams music I fell in love with was also the first film score I ever heard. It was the score for ANH. I could not pick a cue but if I had to pick a theme it would be the Force theme.

ANH was the only film score I really listened to from 1977 until the late 80s when my parents bought a CD player.... Hey, gimme a break I was 4 when ANH came out and my Dad only bought the ANH soundtrack on record. (Don't worry, I took it from him and it's still in near mint condition)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.