main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Lightsaber 'Scoping with Photoshop

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by GenOochy, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    LS.mov

My first. Sister and me... Done from a deleted scene from a fan film I'm doing.

2. Quinn_Domo

Quinn_Domo Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2001
    wow.....what do I say about that?.....I needs ALOT of work. your glow was awful, the sabres changed sizes and the cut on the leg was a yellow blur....

Check out Ryan-w's photoshop tutorial, its a video and is really easy to follow, and yields good results.

3. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    yeah, not to sound mean because I really try to always offer constructive critisism, but that was bad.

I would totally redo basically everything. Like quin domo said, try Ryan Weiber's tutorial. Try spending a little more time on it.

4. qui-gundi_15

qui-gundi_15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2003
    needs work dude.

5. Darth_Cletus

Darth_Cletus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2001
    ...and not to dig the pit deeper, but your saber changed from purple to green.

6. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    LOL thanks guys. :p

This was the new photoshop and it wouldn't work like they showed... Oh, I picked up her saber.

7. Xorbo

Xorbo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 28, 2003
    sweet jesus. that was horrible. im sorry.

after effects is much easier for it.

in any case, the new photoshop should still have gaussian blurs and screen mode.

8. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003
    dude you just cut your sisters leg

9. JediMattster1

JediMattster1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    Hm, give it a little more work. You need a more transparent glow for your sabers. You don't really want sabers with a solid glow.

10. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    *Puts AE on wish list*

She deserved it!

Okay, then skip the effects, was the cammra angles and action any good? :p

11. JaredE

JaredE Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 6, 2003
    If it makes you feel good.....

Then it rocks!

12. Zamboni

Zamboni Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    Hmm... A few good points:
    - The roto seemed to be on target (except for the last bit where a white stick is seen flying by)

- Nice costume

A few suggestions:
    - Don't shoot in the forest*. If you do choose a location with less foliage, makes for less work and better visuals. I imagine you shot in there so people wouldn't see you and think you are crazy or trying to kill a helpless girl, but still, a parking lot with good lighting is much better.

- Do yellow sabers if you aren't good at PS. Yellow always looks good even if you don't

- During a contact of any sort, put a big flash (bright spot) on it so you can skim on the details (for example the cutting sequence in your clip)

And last but not least, that was much better than my first test... Much much better...

* forests are not good location for shoots because
    a) Lighting is either bad or varies too much
    b) Can't use green sticks cuz it blends with trees and red blends with the dirt... Most times you just get one big blur
    c) We have WAY too many forest fights, we hate them...

13. JediMattster1

JediMattster1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2004
    The angles were great, you should do angles along those lines for the movie. The action could've done a little better, maybe a little more movement, some kinda cool twirl or swing would be nice for the battle. Your on the right track though.

EDIT: I noticed the solid-colored contact flash you made when you maimed your sister. You should try making that a little more "glowy".

14. Pr1zm

Pr1zm Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2004
    I didn't think it was that bad for a first time. Just work on the glows and flashes, as others mentioned. I'm just starting out, and after trying After Effects, it's already been much easier than Photoshop.

But hey, your sister looks too cute to be whacking in the leg! :)

Prizm

15. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    There was a time, where I use to think everyone on here was talented. But today you have proved me wrong, thank you. :p :p Just foolin' around dude.

Something about your movements made it look like you were playing that footage in reverse.

As for the sabers...Jesus Christ son, make sure that before you do anything else, get After Effects. I never did like the Photoshop (Darrel Finley) Method. After Effects is a lot easier. You'll see when you get it. Then you can create the fight for your parents affection again. Good Luck next time dude.

EDIT: Hey Kaat, I know what you mean. But you have to admit, blue/greenscreening is the best solution for impossible shots like Force jumping, Force pushing, CG'ing and Flight (like in my up and coming DBZ project...late Nov. early Dec. release). Hope I didn't jinx it.

16. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    I miss greenscreening, Juan.

Gorgeous job, guy! I've tried to create lightsabers with MS Paint many times, but I never got that good results!

... wait. Was it Paint or Photoshop? Don't remember. I suppose it's gotta be Paint...

17. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    Sheesh, it wasn't THAT bad...at least he DID try to cut her with PS with the glow and stuff, something not many of us do (you will notice) :)

It looks like you haven't looked at Ryan W's Photoshop saber tutorial. That leads me to think you halfway figured it out yourself...I must say I'm impressed.

But now, search FanFilms.com and find the tutorial for Ryan W's PS method. Your sabers will look fantastic :)

18. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    Sheesh, it wasn't THAT bad...

Well, ok, it wasn't. But it was a good opportunity to mention that I've already tried to do sabers in Paint and that it did not work too well. :D

19. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    good for a first, needs work to be best. simple as that, practice and follow tutorials and you'll do fine :) looked fine aside from the FX... except the framerate... too fast or jumpy or smthng... i couldnt really get what was wrong, but something...

20. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    WOW...a LOT of comments for what? Three, maybe four seconds of lightsabers? Hehehehe...after all the comments I thought I should have a look at it. It looked better in my imagination... :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.