main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Look and Cover for the Joiner King

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Pellaeon-Firke, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pellaeon-Firke

Pellaeon-Firke Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    New Info at TOS

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/novel/img/20050215_bg.jpg]

Luke Skywalker is worried: A handful of Jedi Knights, including his nephew and niece, Jaina and Jacen Solo, have disappeared into the Unknown Regions in response to a strange cry for help that only they could hear. The isolationist Chiss have angrily lodged a formal complaint, accusing the missing Jedi of meddling in a border dispute between the Chiss and an unidentified aggressor.

Luke has no choice but to head to the Unknown Regions in an attempt to stem the growing tensions before they spill out of control. Han and Leia follow, intent on protecting their children from what could be grave danger. But none of them are prepared for what they find when they reach their destination.

A colony of mysterious aliens is expanding toward the edge of Chiss space. The leader of the alien nest is resolute. Adept in the Force, he is drawing old friends to his side, compelling them to join the colony and meld their Force-abilities with his, even if it leads to all-out war....

Thus begins the Dark Nest trilogy by author Troy Denning. Here's a first look at the cover art by Cliff Nielsen. Dark Nest I: The Joiner King is slated for paperback release from Del Rey Books on July 26, 2005. And included as a special bonus: the short story Ylesia by Walter Jon Williams, previously only available in ebook format.

Odd cover, if you ask me. I wasn't expecting much Han in these, and the things behind him look a little strange.

2. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
  3. PadmeA_Panties

PadmeA_Panties Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    I liked the write-up, I'm assuming this is the "unseen enemy" in the Unknown Regions that was talked about in the Hand of Thrawn Duology.

Though.... the cover is quite lacking, what with the photo-cropped Han and the pincer beetles in the background.

4. Dinner_Squadron

Dinner_Squadron Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2004
    PAPERBACK? Amen! Should be a nice read before I head off to college.

5. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    Sweet.

The leader of the alien nest is resolute. Adept in the Force, he is drawing old friends to his side, compelling them to join the colony and meld their Force-abilities with his, even if it leads to all-out war....

Old friends? Are they talking our friends or his?

Mods please don't lock this. Can we change this to the non-spoiler discussion?

6. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    The cover looks interesting, and the plot looks interesting enough to make me want to get it.

Although did anyone find the Starring the heros of the New Jedi Order kinda tacky?

7. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Um...not thrilled with the cover, but the plot sounds good enough. I'll be waiting with this one with great interest.

8. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Not impressed. [face_tired]

9. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    *pokes* After the disappointment of the NJO, I'll give it a go, but I'm not expecting anything great. I like that the older cast members seem to be brought up the front again, not pushed aside just because they're getting up there in age.

Pish. Ben Skywalker isn't mentioned anywhere in this, which seems to suggest he isn't going to get much characterization or action within the story. Which wouldn't be such a problem, if he didn't have such portentous potential to be Gary Stu.

10. master_organa

master_organa Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 5, 2004
    I like the cover.

11. Jedi_Master_Forte

Jedi_Master_Forte Jedi Master star 1

Nov 20, 2003
    I like the cover as well. I especially like the style and layout of the title and "Dark Nest" written vertically on the side. It's a cool presentation.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Don't worry, I won;'t lock this- this is regarding a specific article on TOS for a specific title, the other thread is for the whole trilogy w/spoilers.

Anyways, I like the cover quite a bit- seeing "old Solo" was a surprise. And it's definitely an improvement over most of the NJO covers. And at least it's not a photo montage like most of the CW titles.

13. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Good cover, tho it implies this novel might be a bit more Han-centric than I'd imagined. Still, looking forward to it.

14. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Wow, the cover is really different from the other novels. I was rather surprised to see Han on the cover as well- but why aren't Mara and Ben mentioned?

15. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    How long after the NJO is this,anyway?

16. clonewarseu

clonewarseu Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2003
  17. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Metroid bugs!!

From the first NES game, and don't deny it.

Ah, the typical American mentality to book cover marketing: their publishers think faces attract buyers. Over here, they think the opposite.

Why else was Dooku on Cestus, and Yoda in that revolting book's title, and it was called Jedi: Dooku and not Jedi: Quinlin Vos?

Still, it's only a cover. The storyline seems original.

18. SlackJawedJedi

SlackJawedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 28, 2004
    Not too impressed with that cover.

19. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    I like the cover a lot. It's really not how I would have imagined the "bad guys" (which will remain nameless in this post, lest it considered a "spoiler").

20. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    If the story is extremely light on Mara and Ben I might give it a try. Or at least check it out once is in book stores before I decide to buy. I happen to like the cover.

"Heroes of the New Jedi Order". I really wish they hadn't added that. If they want to get back some of the readers the lost, it should be taken off. It just sounds bad I feel and a littke tacky in a way.

21. Saberwielder315

Saberwielder315 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    I am so psyched for this trilogy! I've been waiting and waiting and it's almost here. Very excited.

22. Ackbar_Van_Gungan

Ackbar_Van_Gungan Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Is that definetly Han? Is Thrackan Sal-Solo sometimes confused with Han since they often look at lot a like. He is a very disgruntled person with reasons to hate the Jedi.

-The Rebel Gungan

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>"Heroes of the New Jedi Order". I really wish they hadn't added that.<<

It's probably their way of fixing the problem of how to present the era of the story on the cover without labeling it "New Jedi Order" (as that might confuse people into thinking it's part of the NJO series).

24. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Pretty sure that this is Han.

When's the release date on this anyway?

And I'm really hoping that this is better than the NJO...

25. THRAWN007

THRAWN007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2002
    July 26

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.