main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First look: Final Fantasy X-2

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Nai, Oct 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    First look 1
    First look 2
    Poster

Care of: Quiter

It's certainly a new look for Yuna, definitely shades of Lara Croft. Might take a little getting used to. Apparently the game will focus mostly on Yuna and two (maybe more) of her companions. No Tidus, Wakka, or Lulu in sight, though I'm sure they'll be in the game in some form.

There will be some action elements to the game, including some jumping and dashing challenges as indicated by that second image, as well as an "Active Mode" feature requiring quick reflexes. I'm not sure how I feel about that since my reflexes are admittedly a little slow, but I'll just have to wait and see.

2. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    That looks weird.

3. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    Dumbest.Name.Evar.

4. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Tell me this is a hoax. Yuna with guns? Besides since when has there ever been a FF sequle that followed the same storyline?

5. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Yeah, it is kind of weird, but I'm still going to give it a chance. Besides for the guns, I think it actually looks pretty interesting. I've always hoped for a true sequel to a Final Fantasy game.

6. 1stAD

1stAD Jedi Youngling star 5

May 10, 2001
    HOAX

Please cross-reference with a legit gaming site.

And BTW, "active mode" has already been done, it's called Parasite Eve.

7. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Uh, Quiter is a legitimate gaming site, it's just in Japanese. FFX-2 isn't a hoax, unless it's a hoax perpetrated by Squaresoft itself (the production art and screenshots are copyrighted by Square). It's been announced for a while, and the poster was at the Tokyo Game Show.

The first two images are scans from a Japanese magazine called "Weekly Jump."

For more information (in English), go here.

8. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Ugh.

Square has finally gone insane [face_plain]

9. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Why do you say that? Making a sequel to a massively successful game doesn't seem that insane to me. I can understand apprehension over Yuna's guns and her outfit, but you can't judge an entire game based on so little. It's not like it'll have an impact on FFXII, which is scheduled to be released next year (probably not long after FFX-2).

EDIT: Besides, if Square went insane, it happened years ago. Remember Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest?

10. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    AHH!

You know that pic of Yuna, in the poster? It's been around for weeks! I saw it on FFgurus.net. And I thought it was a hoax!!! Damn. Yuna looks weird, lol. I remember hearing an official announcement about the game a while ago, but the outfit is... well, weird.

Spoiler space for FFX... I'm sure everyone beat it already, but just in case...

I hope Tidus and Yuna reunite. Otherwise, I will be seriously dissapointed in this game.

End spoilers.

11. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    Well, apparently

SPOILERS

In the "International" version of Final Fantasy X, there is a bonus DVD that adds on to FFX's ending in which Tidus is alive and trapped somewhere. So I suppose the plot will follow along those lines...

It's still lame though. The ending was perfectly fine until Square decided to botch it not once but TWICE [face_plain]

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Yeah, I downloaded it with English subtitles on Kazaa.

Spoilers......

But I have zero willpower to resist buying this game, and I will be really mad at Square if they suck another $50 out of me and don't show Tidus and Yuna reuniting.

End spoilers.

13. 1stAD

May 10, 2001
    You're not actually going to BUY it now!? [face_shocked]

14. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Sadly, I have zero willpower..... tragic, isn't it? ;)

15. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I guess I'm the only one who's really looking forward to the game. The basic gameplay system won't be much different from FFX, which in my opinion had the best combat and advancement systems in the numerical FF series (and I've played all of them so far), so I think buying FFX-2 is a safe bet.

I just hope they have a Japanese language dialogue option for the American version. FFX had surprisingly good voice acting (for an American cast anyway), but I could barely tolerate Yuna's voice. I ended up liking her less than I probably would have because of it. Of course, there's also the fact that I just prefer hearing Japanese dialogue (yes, I can understand a fair amount of it). I guess I could import the game, but I'm a penny-pincher first and a gamer second.

16. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Oh, I'm looking forward to the game - but only if a certain something happens in it. Otherwise, I KNOW I'll be dissapointed and feel it was a waste. :(

17. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Good lord, this is terrible. FF Games aren't supposed to have sequential storylines.

18. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    I'd be disappointed too, but it wouldn't really ruin the game for me. It's the whole experience that matters, right?

Hmm, I wonder if Blitzball will be present in any form. I actually liked the mini-game, except for when the computer cheated (ie: giving an NPC Blitz player 20 levels after one game).

Also, since it sounds like the Yevon temple will be mobile, I wonder if FFX-2 will see the return of a FF staple, the world map? I hope so.

19. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Why is it terrible? You don't have to buy it if you don't want. FFXII is still on the way.

EDIT: Personally, I'm thrilled. Whenever I come to the end of a FF game, I'm always a little sad. I have to bid farewell to the characters and the world I've spent 50+ hours with, knowing they won't be back for the next installment. I can't wait to return to Spira.

20. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I guess it's like... I'd feel I wasted 50 bucks and 50 hours if it doesn't happen.

I didn't like blitzball because I found it too difficult. :(

The world map might be cool, if they could pull it off. But I dunno if they can make a world map with graphics that fit in with the rest of the game. That would be weird: fancy 3d in the towns, and a little 2d world map.

21. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    The world map wouldn't be 2D. Think previous Final Fantasies. Sure, your characters tower above towns on the 3D map, but it's effective. One of my favorite parts of FF games is being able to cruise around the world in an airship at the end of the game; the sense of freedom.

You know, I get the impression we didn't see all of Spira in FFX. It was basically just one continent and a bunch of islands. Maybe we'll get to see more of the world in FFX-2.

22. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    I guess it just seems to me that if there was more to add to the game, they should have made it a 2-disc set, instead of breaking a tradition.

23. Nai

Nai Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    FFXI seems like a much more grievous break in the tradition to me. I might be annoyed if FFX-2 was titled FFXII, but it's just a side-story. The basic gameplay system's already in place, so they decided to reuse it and give fans a sequel. Not a bad idea, if you ask me. I wouldn't be surprised if Square's massive losses from FF: The Spirits Within has something to do with it, though.

EDIT: FFXI may also be a factor. FFX sold millions of copies. FFXI will be lucky to sell half a million.

24. Darth_Insidious

Darth_Insidious Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I personally can't wait for this. FFX had the best storyline of all the FF's IMO, because Square managed to come up with a completely original world in making Spira. No futuristic or medieval stuff, like the last few games in the series.

And of course Tidus and Yuna are going to reunite. The whole point of the game is that she went out to find him. The "Another Story" video shows him in a cage, screaming about how he "had to use the enemy's machina" in order to defeat Sin and protect Yuna. I'm really curious as to who imprisoned him and why.

25. Jobo

Jobo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2000
    This is likely bad. I mean, FFX was... okay, I guess... but the whole idea of a sequel is kind of not good. The point of the end of FF games is that they wrap it up in a way which is satisfying to the player, without being too stupid. If it weren't for that extra DVD, FFX would have been great. And Yuna with guns? Um, I'd prefer magic. Yuna used magic before, why would she go with guns now?
    _jOBO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.