main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Look: Last of the Jedi #4

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Tam_Elgrin, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Couldn't find a topic for this, and we don't seem to have an official LotJ one, so I figured I'd spring this up. Lock away if that's not the case.

From TOS -

[image=http://www.starwars.com/eu/lit/young/img/20051103_bg.jpg]

Ex-Jedi Ferus Olin has been imprisoned by the Empire. His crime? Trying to save the Jedi Order.

The sinister Empire won't be able to hold Ferus for long -- not when he has a friend on the inside. But escaping is only part of the problem. Ferus's quest is going to take him to the planet of Naboo, where a secret vital to the survival of the Jedi and the entire galaxy is being kept... and is in danger of being revealed.

In order to keep this secret, Ferus will have to face the ruthless Inquisitor Malorum. A battle will be fought -- and lives will be lost.

Who will die on Naboo? Find out in April 2006, with the publication of Death on Naboo, the fourth book in The Last of the Jedi series by bestselling author Jude Watson. The dark times are sweeping the galaxy as the Empire continues to rise as chronicled in this series from Scholastic, Inc. Here's a first look at the cover, with design by Henry Ng and illustration by John Van Fleet.

I shall repeat that, for anyone not listening:

In order to keep this secret, Ferus will have to face the ruthless Inquisitor Malorum. A battle will be fought -- and lives will be lost.

On more time?

Ferus will have to face the ruthless Inquisitor Malorum

HELL YES. XD Say what you like about Ferus, but him versus Malorum is going to rock. And is that Malorum on the cover? Say goodbye to your X-wings and Rebel crests, Ex. [:D]

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    I assume the guy whose face we can't see is Malorum (since he has a red lightsaber)?

3. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Who will die on Naboo?

Unless it's the last of the series...I doubt Ferus....

...unless, UNLESS...they're going to do ANOTHER bait and switch, kill Olin, and bring back Kenobi? Or another Survivor... (Hett, K'Kruhk, Jeisel...)

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, NEC tells us A'Sharad went back to Tatooine to plan his own revenge- it'd be very easy to work him and Kenobi into the same story without forcing Ben to go off-world again.

5. sithreaper

sithreaper Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 8, 2004
    i think Malorum is going to get it. No one & I mean no one should kill Ferus except for Darth Vader ( to avenge his defeat as a Padawan). Same with A'Sharrad Hett he may be living with the tuskens again but as soon as he comes out of Hiding Vader should behead him. Also Aurra Sing needs to be dealt with, once & for all.

6. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    wait has book 3 already come out?

7. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Chronology says Obi Wan leaves Tatooine on multiple occasions.

8. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    Perhaps it's the Queen who buys it (tying into Battlefront II).

9. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    Mhmm, was thinking Watson might go for a BF2 tie-in, especially after Malorum was mentioned in the latest Databank. If not, keep your eyes peeled for the next Chronology.

10. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    The Twit on Tatooine is a scary possibility. Watson will probably have him p*ss on Padme's grave.

I'm rooting for you, Malorum! Kill The Twit!

11. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Hmmm...did I not call already this, like, almost a week ago? Or thereabouts? Right here, matter of fact.

Damn, love being right. [face_batting] Ferus and/or Muln and/or Kenobi setting up various Jedi sanctuaries across the Mid and Outer Rims, finding their way to sympathetic, liberal Naboo, and running afoul of Inquisitor Malorum, eventually resulting in Queen Apailana's death at the hands of the 501st.

At least now we have a proper timelock for the events of that Battlefront II campaign -- partway through 18 BBY. Now I'm waiting to see if there's some connection between their efforts and the Eye of Palpatine Belsavis Jedi assault-evac during roughly that same time period.

12. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    except that she survives to fight in Jabba's demolition derbies, which are definitely in the time period between ESB and ROTJ..

13. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Wait. The queen from ROTS buys the farm in BF2?

14. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Indeed she does. Too liberal and anti-Empire.

Am I the only one who wants the over-rated, over-hyped, and certainly over-powered (challenge for the Chosen One? Bah!) Ferus Olin to bite it?

- Keralys

15. Joser_Kyind

Joser_Kyind Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 10, 2005
    Actually, I think the best way to describe him is over-criticized. People hate him beyond what they should.

16. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    I couldn't say if you are, for my part at least. I'm somewhat uninformed as to who/what he is.[face_thinking]

17. Tam_Elgrin

May 1, 2004
    I would root for Ferus, but Malorum has way too much potential as an uber-cool villain to kill of so quickly.

18. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This one looks half way decent.

19. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    He's Watson's Chosen One. Her Gary Stu.

Maybe the Naboo Queen takes one look at Ferus the Twit and kills herself. I wouldn't blame her.

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    There's only one person I want to meet up with Ferus the uber-hero, and that's Lord Darth Vader. [face_devil] He might even kill him with his bare hands instead of force choking or slicing him up neatly, just to get some much needed enjoyment and a reason to live.

21. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    Er, that, and she was hiding Jedi from Vader. [face_mischief]

He's done entire planets to death for as few as one -- Talasea, et al.

Naboo got off easy.

Doubtful he buys it in the game...more likely in one of these books, although there appears to be some event-by-event crossover weaving in and out of them, à la LoE and the later animateds.

22. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    One can only hope there will be, but I have a strong feeling that there won't be. Watson has a way of writing stories in times and places where she could make the story rich with continuity and tie ins, and then does nothing of the sort.

23. Leto II

Jan 23, 2000
    True, I wouldn't necessarily count on Watson herself making many (if any) major references to the Belsavis affair, but someone else up the LFL foodchain -- Abel, Dan, et al -- could fabricate some nifty connections between Kenobi and Olin's crusade circa 18 BBY, and the need for the Plett's Well Jedi families to relocate away from the Empire.

Both occur during that exact year, and we still don't know where, precisely, they departed for after the bombardment. It's an opportunity ripe with storytelling potential.

Although, to be perfectly fair, these latest post-EP3 Watson books have simply been chock full of continuity tie-ins both subtle and major, including some stuff I never expected her to do (see this thread for what I mean).

24. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

No Rebel/X-wing cover crests, true, Tam, but look at those covers. A sharp downslide from the quite cool Jedi Apprentice series.

25. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Just tell me when Obi Wan's back and I'll start buying again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.