main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters First Love, Last Love - a Jaina/Zekk Index and Resource - Spring Update & New Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JainaZekk_Index, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    Ookay....???... I dunno ...

No idea... I haven't gotten my hands on many of the YJK books. *rolls eyes*

2. Jade_Max

Jade_Max Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 28, 2002
    what do you think drew Jaina and Zekk to each other when they were young?

I think it was a case of Jaina taking home a stray *chuckle* and then from there she had to prove she wasn't a spoiled brat once Zekk knew who her parents were and where she lived... then it would have escalated into Zekk proving that he was good enough to be her friend when she wouldn't leave him alone and they just stuck together afterwards.

And what was it that made them such good friends?

Opposites attract? I think Zekk and Jaina have a lot in common personality wise. Zekk has an inferiority complex, so he's always taking risks any Solo would approve and appreciate. Not to mention, while he didn't know he was force sensitive, I think he would remind Jay of her dad. The scruffy guy who fell for a princess and then tried to keep her happy. Zekk reminds me of Han a lot in that way...

As for Jaina, I think her side of things would be curiosity, ot it would have started that way. She saw him as a way to show her a side of life she would otherwise never see, and then when he showed her the coolest things in the underground, their mutual curiosity and love of adventure kept them together. ;) I mean, we see it time and again in the YJK books.

I'm not even going to mention their fixing-things similarity.. Too much to say there ;)

3. Neo-Paladin

Neo-Paladin Jedi Master star 4

Dec 10, 2004
    Jaina to Zekk I wonder if she wasn't projecting a touch of her father onto him, at least in the beginning. A scoundrel who wasn't force sensitive (as far as anyone knew) doing his best to make his way in a rough galaxy. With her father's background, she'd see something to admire.

Zekk to Jaina, I think he thought she was 'safe'. She lived a totally different life, and that means she could never get too close. There was also little chance that she'd take advantage of him, which is something he'd have to worry about more with people from his strata, where desperation is a lot more common.

As far as remaining good friends, well they all had fun together and could depend on each other, which helped I imagine. However, I think the real key was Zekk was a candid person for Jaina, which was probably rare for the Solo children. He had no reason to put on an act or impress her to get something from the Solo's, in fact he made it clear he didn't want charity. Zekk and Jaina both knew they wanted to spend time together because they legitimately liked each other, which is pretty valuable for anyone.

In fact I think the only things they weren't really honest with each other about was their feelings about moving their friendship to a higher level. There's a comfort zone associated with that on both sides I think.

4. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    In fact I think the only things they weren't really honest with each other about was their feelings about moving their friendship to a higher level. There's a comfort zone associated with that on both sides I think.

Ooooo, I like that Paladin, very true to form... I see a challenge coming out of that possibly... Hmmmm....

5. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Oooh, interesting question.

I think, at first, Jaina probably saw Zekk as sort of an adventure. She and Jacen had a habit of exploring the lower levels (Jedi Academy books, I believe! :p ) and so she might have seen Zekk as a way to do that. He would have know his way around, and her interest and attention to him, something he probably didn't usually get a lot of, might have helped him get closer to her. She probably looked up to him a bit, at least at first, because he was so independent, which is something Jaina has always been big on. Like I said, Zekk was pretty young when they met, and kids usually want people to pay attention to them; however, Zekk really didn't have anyone other than Peckhum, so he was probably grateful for any friend he could get. Plus, have you ever considered that his Force talent for finding things might have kicked in without him realising it, and helped him find Jaina? ;)

They certainly had plenty of common interests, like fixing things, so that was probably one of the major things that kept them together. They were both really independent and loved adventure, so that's a great combination right there.

And I need to stop being a slacker and write my history essay. I'll put in more thoughts on this later.

6. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I was just wondering, since I've haven't seen this addressed anywhere, but what is going on with Zekk and Jaina in TJK?

I'm not sure if spoilers are allowed here, so I'll do the blackout thing.

TJK clearly states that Zekk loves her, but what is also clear is Jaina's lack of response. I mean, she's glad to wake up in his arms after that creepy insect orgy as opposed to Raynar's, but what does all mean? This J/J/K/Z quadrangle is getting a little ridiculous, I think.

And then the clicking and stroking - I mean, Han and Jag weren't the only ones grossed out. Is Denning trying to find a way for Jaina and Zekk to break up, or is this hive meld going to bring Zekk and Jaina closer together (since Zekk has gone where no man has dared go before - Jaina's utterly confused mind). I'm in the process of writing a story that in part deals with Jaina's confusion over Z/J/K (sometimes I feel like I'm playing scrabble), but it's so hard because each SW writer seems to have something different in mind. Elaine Cunningham all but pushed Jaina into Kyp's lap, Aaron Allston was pretty heavy on the Jag/Jaina scenes, and now Denning is confusing us all with this Zekk business.

Any ideas?

7. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Float around the Lit forum and you'll find a few dozen threads with that very subject. Round here you'll mostly find the hold outs from the 'good ol' days' who remember when Zekk was the only one in Jaina's orbit. Somewhere, somehow, that changed, and the how and the why have been left to the imagination I'm afraid. Regardless, Zekk carries a torch, where as Jaina seems to have let things cool.

Ask any shipper and they will tell you their ship is "the one," and spend the rest of the time on the subject deriding other ships. The only one who knows what's next is Denning, and he's being rather cagey.

So, eh, pick your favorite and run with it is my advice o_O

8. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    So speaking of unexplained changes left to the imagination, has anyone but me written fic that deals with the Z/J quasi-breakup between YJK and NJO?

9. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    eh? J/Z break up?! No way!

Psh! It's all nonsense, I tell you, a way to decieve the readers into thinking she'll pick Jag. We all know better!

Seriously, I've never really written a J/Z breakup fic. I've referenced it in a couple of fics, but I don't think I've ever written one... Another idea for a challenge *eyes dancing* for the angst lovers!

10. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Inara: Sorry, I was going to respond to your TJK comments earlier, but have been working -

I know what you mean about couples in the Explanded universe seeming to be at the whim of whomever is writing them. I'm a huge fan of Elaine Cunningham's work, I read her other stuff, and I enjoyed Dark Journey, but I felt she took a route that shouldn't have been explored.

I like the idea of a K/J pairing, heck I write that on occasion, but I like J/Z better.

The reasons are not only their closness in age, though love doesn't need to be defined by this group. I'm talking about the moral and ethical common bonds that Jaina and Zekk share. Their interests, their pleasures and pains, and yes, their history.

While the Expanded universe (read NJO) authors have been pushing Jaina at either Kyp or Zekk, they've practically ignored the first real friend, the first real love of her life with no explanation.

This is where I have problems. No author has given me reason to like Jag. I'm not character bashing, I simply don't like his emotional coolness. He reminds me of a male Tenel Ka. And while I like Tenel Ka - it works for her. For Jag... pardon me for saying, but it seems two dimensional. The only thing I've read where I ['i]liked[/i] Jag remotely was a short story avalible by Elaine Cunningham about Jag's childhood in the Chiss academy. He's 15 or something. After that - nadda.

Now Zekk, the often forgotten, or unknown, is still familiar. Jaina knows him, she was willing to give up her life to save him from the darkside. She was always sad when he was away. Puppy love? Perhaps, but a friendship came out of this that was ignored as their budding romance.

As for TJK with their actions and the reactions, I don't think it had to do with people being repulsed by what they were doing, but why. They were still connected to a hive mind, acting as one, which, to be honest, would even creep me out. If they'd been acting of their own accord, of their own free will, it would have been like having Jaina and any other love interest.

Zekk is kind of the go-to guy when author's need a reason to add turmoil it seems. It saddens me to see him reduced to this, but, like Paladin said, there's no right or wrong ship. If you can write them all, wonderful. If not - pick one or two and see what you come up with. whatever works best for you and what you can write should be your guide.. Though J/J stories will get you more readers ;)

11. Zonoma

Zonoma Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2005
    I just like Jaina 'ships period... the girl is kinda loose with her attentions, i guess, but it does make things interesting! i think she is just plain scared of commitment

12. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    I agree on the authors not giving Jaina a valid reason to leave Zekk. It's like she saw something else she liked and just strolled over in the other direction.

For my part, I was kind of disappointed in the way Jaina was portrayed in NJO. Forgive me for saying this, but it was like she was PMSing half the time - and yeah, I know she suffered a lot, etc., but she seemed so weak in so many ways. If Jacen was annoying pre-SBS, Jaina took over post-SBS. And then in TJK - I'm not sure if Denning is trying to flush Jaina's character, or if he's going to redeem it. And let's not even go into Jacen - I have a rant about that somewhere else.

Maybe it's just me.

Which makes me wonder about Zekk and Jaina. I mean, out of all the people to have their particular meld, it was them. Not Jaina or Tahiri, or Zekk and Lowie, or whatever. So maybe Zekk will be playing a counterpoint to Jaina's further character development. Does that make any sense?

For my part, I'm impartial to who Jaina ends up with. I think there are possibilities in all three, but since she went off half-cocked in TJK, I think Jag has become a more remote possibility. I mean, the universe would work out great if Jag just ended up with Tenel Ka, cause I don't think she belongs with Jacen either, after TJK (that fleet business was just creepy).

Though J/J stories will get you more readers

And what do readers know? ;)

13. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Which makes me wonder about Zekk and Jaina. I mean, out of all the people to have their particular meld, it was them. Not Jaina or Tahiri, or Zekk and Lowie, or whatever. So maybe Zekk will be playing a counterpoint to Jaina's further character development. Does that make any sense?

A very scary kind of sense, actually...

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right. There were a lot of other individuals in that battle meld, and it was only Jaina and Zekk that they chose to use like this. Hmmm...

Now that you've opened this line of thought, I can't help but wonder if maybe because of their past associations it opened them up to being vulnerable to the Taat and their mind links. And the Force link was simply something that they drew into because they'd always been relying on each other since they were children.

Hmmm.. opens possibilities. And I agree with Jag being a more remote possibility with the actions in TJK. Even though they've made it clear Jaina loves him, there are reasons she can't be with him. I think the "love" for Jag may not be love at all, it's wanting to be in love...

But then, I'm the eternal optimist. I liked Jaina before she got all nuts *sighs*

Though J/J stories will get you more readers

And what do readers know? wink

LOL!! You're right... what do readers know ;) Readers as fun, what can I say :)

14. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    I agree on the authors not giving Jaina a valid reason to leave Zekk. It's like she saw something else she liked and just strolled over in the other direction.

I agree, and I've always been a bit suprised no author has played around with this more for Zekk. I mean, the reason he joined the Shadow Academy was to prove he was good enough for her, and then after everything she says to turn him back, the moment someone better comes along, she leaves him. Interesting. In an icky way, of course.

15. Neo-Paladin

Dec 10, 2004
    Yeah, as... disappointed... as I am that Z/J is no longer 'the' ship, the thing I'm bitter about is that there was no closure, and no one seems interested in filling the gap. If you see the EU as saga that's really poor story telling. Most young loves don?t work out, and the characters had a lot of growing to do from their YJK days. I?d be disappointed if they didn?t work out, but I?d accept it. But left hanging is just plain suck.

That drove me to examine it in my Zekk - Interludes fic, but it's not quite Z/J so, this isn't quite the home for it either. :p

16. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Has anyone in here been keeping up with spoilers for TUQ?

17. Inara

Inara Jedi Master star 4

Aug 30, 2005
    Yeah - don't know how much I should mention here, but I think Jaina's gone completely off the wall, as well as Jacen.

Hmm, I guess between the two of them, the share the same small amount of common sense:rolleyes:

18. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    I have, and Jacen's got me spazzing out right now. For serious. Add that to the fact that I am living in stark terror that they will kill off Raynar and Alema. Sure, I know Raynar's not gonna make it, but I sure hope they don't knock off two of my favorites!

19. Zonoma

Jun 28, 2005
    Alema is the puzzle to me. Luke knew she would fall as far back as SbS but there are so many places that one could take her now. I was disappointed to see her fall (even if she is a $lvt) because I liked her. I don't even know precisely where I am taking her in my fic because of all the possible paths she could tread! Though I do have an ending. How backwards is that?

20. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Backwards? I normally write my stories around a scene which comes to mind and go from there, be it the middle, begining or end. I don't think it's strange, getting there is half the fun. ;)

21. Jade_Max

Jun 28, 2002
    Ok, our story updates for this month are pretty slim thus far, and no real bites on the challenge yet...

But updates will be done next weekend (or rather, I'll try to do them next weekend) and the good news is - More fan art! Whohoo!

I wish I could draw...

22. Jedi_Bubbles

Jedi_Bubbles Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    Actually, that real bite thing about the challenge can be changed. I just finished mine. I just need to get it beta'd then I'll post it.

EDIT: Correction, I have just posted it.

23. DathomiranAuthor

DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    Yay! We have a challenge story! And it's wonderful!!! :D

I agree that the gap between njo and YJK was quite disappointing, especially when the authors pretended that Zekk didn't exist.... *sigh* I'm still hoping for the possibility of J/Z in future books.... Hey, I can dream....

Important Reminder: Spoilers for TUQ are allowed, but they must be blacked out until thirty days after the release date. (See the FAQ for more information. Spoilers can also be discussed in The Unseen Queen spoiler thread in the literature forum.)

Have fun!

Must...get hands...on book....

24. Lusa_Thul

Sep 9, 2004
    Well, then:

I've only just started it, but I have to express my deep and undying love for Zekk when he wouldn't drink the black membrosia because of his morals! I love that man! And how he was all mad cause he couldn't save the smugglers! Love him! Also, the way Jaina and Zekk finish each other's sentences makes me love them. :) Basically, this whole book is filling me with love, so far! :p

25. Jedi_Bubbles

Jedi_Bubbles Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2004
    *reads spoilers* :D :D :D :D :D Now I have to get it! And soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.