main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Meeting Planning

Discussion in 'Archive: Albany, NY' started by NarundiJedi, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noggins

noggins Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    it's a little awkward meeting up with people you've only talked to on the net.

Hate to sound like a dork...

Ah, I know that feeling well. Just last summer I met up with tons of people I knew on a Buffy message board. We were all pretty wary and nervous but it all turned out well with fun being had by all (I will, of course, not give details of the events that followed in which me and one of the other boardies - who shall be referred to as the Sociopathic German - ended up in what can only be described as an odd relationship). But aside from my undivulged scare story I'm sure we're all safe so your folks shouldn't have too much to worry about :)

2. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    so sat the 26th it is then. peaches cafe

3. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    ACK! :eek: I forgot something rather BIG about the 26th! That's my anniversary (three years [face_blush] )! My boyfriend would probably laugh at me for forgetting, but that means I can't make it to Peaches, especially since I told him I'd go to his company picnic! :(

Sorry you guys. . . I think you'd probably do better having it closer to Saratoga or Clifton Park, too. Because making it down from Glens Falls is kind of meh.

*sigh* Why don't we try a Sunday, or after dinner?

Jae Angel

4. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    I forgot something rather BIG about the 26th!

Tut tut. Bad girl :p

5. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Bad indeed. ;)

Help me out, guys. Does anyone know of reasonably-priced mass transit so a Manhattanite who doesn't have a car can come up to the first meeting? :p

6. neoxeon2

neoxeon2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 3, 2000
    if i lived in NYC i might but, im here in albany, so im no good.

7. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    I plead Britishness - I don't even know what the place looks like yet :p

8. strawbary

strawbary Syracuse CR, RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Good luck on the 26th guys! remember keep it fun ;)
    Your event is also on TFN , go looksee ;)

9. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    I can go! :D The picnic is earlier on in the day, so I'll be able to meet with you guys before my boyfriend and I go to dinner for our anniversary at Macaroni Grill. [face_love]

YAY!!!!! :D

Oh, and DL-Mara, the best way to get up here is to take the train to Tarrytown and then take a cab. But that's probably pretty pricey. :(

Jae Angel

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    You can always try taking a greyhound bus to Albany and then taking the local CDTA bus #10 to stuyvesant plaza. It is not that much. Only a dollar for the local bus. And I am sure one of us will give you a ride back to the terminal if you need it. I live right across the river from the terminal so I could give you a ride home if you liked.

11. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Great! I'll check into that. :)

12. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Does anybody have any ideas about topics that people discuss at meetings? I'm sure DLM knows, being a part of FFNYC.

I do wonder if everybody submitting a question like "What's your favorite sports team?" would get the discussion rolling. Or do we have to follow a set pattern like minutes in a fraternity meeting?

Jae Angel

13. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    A member of FFNYC? Barely. I'm more of a drifter. :p Different FFs do different things at their meetings. Some just eat and talk. Boston apparently plays laser tag. ;)

The bad news is I've been scouting out the bus companies I can use and I can't find any that will get me there in a reasonable timeframe, for a reasonable price (at least not at this short notice). So I think you'll have to count me out of this meeting. But I'll start planning earlier next time, and hopefully I can be at the second meeting. :)

14. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Everyone going today - have a great time. Hopefully I'll be there for the next meeting if my orientation week is over by then! Only a month until I arrive :)

15. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Well we had our first meeting and it was me an Narundi. We just talked. We discussed our motto which is
    Albany Scoundrels
    Breaking the law and Breaking records!

Will have a picture of a blaster in the middle with the millinium falcon on one side and boba fetts helmet on the other. Narundi will put it together. By the way Everybody give Narundi a happy aniversary. Oh we will definitely try to fit you in Noggins. Dark Lady will give you more time next time I am sorry.

16. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Yay to things going well. The only weird thing for me when I make my appearance is the concept of doing it sober. Or possibly sober. That's just weird :p

17. Dark Lady Mara

Jun 19, 1999
    Happy anniversary, Narundi. :)

18. NarundiJedi

Oct 8, 2001
    Thanks, Dark Lady! :)

Yeah, it was a fun meeting. :) We only wish it could have been official. Oh well. ;)

Once we have the not-quite-sober Welshman here, we'll be complete. ;)

Jae Angel

19. Darth_FattyAss

Darth_FattyAss Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 10, 2002
    Well I've been as incognito as possible....Now it's time for me to make my presence known. I've been reading the threads here and they're....well...pathetic. C'mon people lets get some conversations going. Anyway, I'm sorry to hear I missed you're first meeting. But on the upside I know alot of folks in the area who would be very interested to join. On my way out the door I'll drop a thread...Who has KOTOR and what do you think of it? Later

20. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    I was thinking that that the 30th of August be the first meeting or maybe the week before. We can have a second meeting for the Scary Welshman if he would like to.

21. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    Thank you! :) Yup, 30th should work for me. Orientation will finally be over and I'll be free to generally bum around Albany on my own time - which is so much better for exploring than having university guides. I mean, I doubt they're going to tell me where the nearest comic shops are... something that's far more important to me than anything else!

22. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    noggins: There's a awesome comic shop in Spa City. :D

I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make it on August 30th - just as long as I have proper directions and know how much money I need to bring et cetera. ;)

Sorry you could'nt make it up from the Big Apple Mara. :(I was looking forward to meeting you.

Happy Anniversary Narundi! :)

<[-]> Saber

23. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    That's good to know. The thought of going without my weekly stash would drive me mad :) And the thought of not having to pay extra for import tax... *sigh* What a wonderful world this is!

24. beezel26

May 11, 2003
    Hey Noggins when is your plane coming in? I might be there to greet you incognito of course. I have been working alot and I havent been on the boards lately.

25. noggins

Nov 29, 2000
    I'm getting into Albany at 16:40 I believe... which will be quite the relief after all the stress that going through immigration at Philly is guaranteed to be! And it'd be great to meet someone from here that early if you can make it.

You can pretty much guarantee I'll be wearing an Iron Maiden t-shirt and carrying far too many bags if you need to recognise me :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.