main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST First Order - The Human Menace?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by propeller, Aug 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    From the brief snippet of footage in the Korean clip, it looks like the First Order may be entirely comprised of 'humans' (as indeed the Empire was in the OT). There's certainly no evidence as far as I can see that any other species are involved in the First Order, either as rank-and-file or as senior officers.

Was this expected? An all-human First Order would certainly be significant in such a diverse galaxy, particularly when you look at the wide range of species in the Galactic Senate as portrayed in the PT.

Any thoughts about 'us' being the villains (as well as the heroes)? If the first trilogy was all about family, are the sequels partly a metaphor about the importance of embracing difference?

And what does this imply about Snoke's character (and background)? Is he human too?

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Lord D'arg

Lord D'arg Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    The Empire was certainly xenophobic and as a by-product of that I'm sure the high ranking officials would keep that tradition going simply because of past indoctrination that humans are superior.

The Snoke part is interesting seeing as Andy S is such a big mo-cap actor. I would personally love to see an Ink Heart style AS with a shaved head. Looks incredibly menacing and would portray a very good villain if you're asking me.

3. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    As things stand, it most certainly appears The First Order are all human. Which is odd because, according to rumours, their supreme leader is NOT human. But whatever..

Tommytom likes this.
  4. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Hey, just like North Korea! ;)

5. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Ha! I'm a little despot short and stout ;)

StoneRiver, Bob Octa, TK327 and 2 others like this.
  6. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    One day North Korea will become allies and North Korean jokes will become "racist" or something.

Rabs and Jensaarai-defender like this.
  7. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Not in our lifetime lol

Import_Jedi likes this.
  8. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    In our present hyper-PC society, it seems a little weird to see only humans.

From a narrative standpoint, and also a film production standpoint, it makes no difference. Especially since their "Supreme Leader" is strongly rumored to be (for lack of a more sensitive term for today's sci-fi) an "alien".

9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

That'll be the day I fly to North Korea on vacation using a magic carpet or a flying pig.

10. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Mocking scumbag dictators who harm their own people will never be out of favor.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    True, but let's try to get this thread on topic.

12. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    Snoke is a snake/reptilian type character so maybe the humans are all pawns!

13. KDC1972

KDC1972 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2005
    Perhaps Snoke only rules from the shadows...maybe most in the First Order aren't even aware of his existence even if he is pulling all the strings through his lackeys Hux and Ren.

14. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I know the empire was made up of just humans in the films, but was there ever an anti alien attitude in the canon of the story? I don't really remember anything being stated as such? And since this is the new faction I would assume that they may have a different ideology from the empire?

Knightstalker137 likes this.
  15. Jcuk

Mar 16, 2013
    Very possible Snoke is an extremely enigmatic being to the majority of those that serve in The First Order. It certainly appears Hux and Kylo are the face of authority and ultimate leadership they all follow. But despite that, the Supreme Leaders existence is known, but very rarely seen.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    There was that "Where are you taking this ... thing?" guy in ANH at least.

17. propeller

propeller Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 4, 2014
    Like a David Icke 'reptilian illuminati' metaphor? I'd love to quiz JJ and LK about that!

I think that the lack of other species in the First Order is a huge issue.

For one species to control, or to want to control the galaxy, well that's pretty terrifying if you apply it to the microcosm of Earth and replace 'species' with 'race'. There is clearly more to the Nazi metaphor/imagery this time round.

In the PT/OT the Empire was driven by Palpatine's lust for power. I wonder if this time there might be a more ideological emphasis for species-related superiority put forward by Snoke et al. I also wonder if we might see more regarding the ideology behind the Empire in Rogue One.

Dra--- likes this.
  18. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014
    Unless Snoke actually leads another offshoot of the Empire, not the First Order.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Look at the cuff title, very Nazi Germany and the Waffen SS.

Andy Wylde and thejeditraitor like this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    If Snoke is this Sith reptilian creature secretly influencing Humans into doing his bidding, well, that has interesting racial undertones. Like distant Russian Commies corrupting good Americans.

21. JediKnightWax

May 21, 2014

[​IMG]

GregMcP likes this.
  22. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    I have a feeling that TFA will be human-heavy in general, just as ANH was. The only aliens were extras, with Chewie pretty much being the exception.

23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    What I get from this image is that actually the First Order is small potatoes compared to the Empire.

Theyve mustered up a nice army here. Probably laid their hands of a Star Destroyer, as seen in the clip. But they aren't Galaxy Spanning. They aren't putting a million men into a Death Star. But they have the potential to grow and be something more majorly horrible.

They are Nazis in 1933.

24. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    There was other species than Humans associate with Empire in OT. :p

I don't think difference is such a thing as some here clearly do. I prefer and hope rather it's about finally admitting human *complexities* which the prior sets have done poorly on.

25. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Well, a possible out-of-universe explanation would be that the Stormtroopers certainly look more uniform being all humans. Having all different kinds of aliens would result in different helmet designs, perhaps some armor changes, it could look a bit odd to the average Joe, though I wouldn't totally mind it. Species like Mon Calamari and Ithorians could look off in Stormtrooper armor though.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.