First Reviews for Indy IV (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29, May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Take them as you will. Considering the source, I'm not too inclined to believe a word they say. They could all be made up for all we know, but here they are anyway:

Review #1

Review #2

Review #3
  2. chibiangi Force Ghost

star 4
    I have a feeling that many will not like it the same way the PT gets blasted. It's not the same time or same place, so the feeling is changed. We have nostalgic ties to the series so we want it be an 80s movie. Only problem is it is no longer the 80s.

I'm still excited for it and I am sure I will like it. TOD got blasted for being horrible when it came out as well. While ROTLA was completely hands down cinematically and thematically vastly superior to the other two, it's TOD that makes its way into the DVD player the most often. Why? It's fun. Who can resist a song and dance number?

So, one thing in the last review that got me was:

Also, the end...well, since I'd heard some awful rumors of a cameo overload, I was worried, but while those were thankfully way off, the ending that is here ...well let's just say I'd personally prefer this to be the last adventure we had with Indy. They got this one right - let us not risk it again. Not sure some of us could take the wait. Also, regarding the ending, it's a bit more in line with TOD than the others, but you'll have to see it to understand.

So, I am thinking this means: Indy and Marion end the movie happily ever after in a geezer wedding.

I could be wrong though.

Uhm, other than that, the lameness the other reviews were on will probably mean I will love the movie because I have always seen the series as a bit corny and goofy. So that certainly will not bother me. I think TLC is my least favorite mostly because it is so serious that the corn is just off.
  3. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, I don't trust AICN as far as I can throw them.

I'll just see the movie and make up my own mind, thank you very much.
  4. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Man I hope this isn't true. The supernatural element of this film being aliens would be kinda ridiculous for this franchise, but I suppose I could live with it if it was done right.
  5. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm going to highlight this. After seeing reports from the reviews that a major character dies in the film, and using deduction from the trailer images etc, I'm going to make a prediction that the character that will die will be Mac (Ray Winstone)

My reasoning is as follows

First of all, we know Mac gets in trouble with the natives. Second, in the scenes that we know take place later in the movie like the car chase/cemetary scene etc, we know Mac is not present. The scene where the temple is collapsing and the water is destroying the staircase....marion...indy.....mutt....and john hurt. no mac.
  6. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    If you're staying spoiler free, do not, repeat, DO NOT highlight the text below. Major spoilers:

According to the Topps trading card set, this is indeed the case. This is what I was referring to in the social thread about one card in particular spoiling me big time. The first(and only) card I looked at stated that Mac dies. I was kicking myself the rest of the night. But anyway, way to put together the clues with the information we were given. ;)
  7. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    So disappointing. I feel Mac is someone we will like a lot, and will be totally wasted by killing him off.
  8. G-FETT Chosen One

star 7
    Based on the PT movies, this is roughly about when you would expect reviews to start slipping out based on press screenings. My expectation would be that these AICN reviews are genuine.

And I'm not surprised by the negative reaction. I mean, this is like The Phantom Menace, in that, whatever Lucas and co came up with, nothing would surpass people's expectations. Anyway, as somebody thats not really bothered about Indy, I'm not too concerned....

Hopefully now this is out of the way Lucas will *FINALLY* get on with doing those small/personal films we're all dying to see.[face_praying]
  9. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Oh, I agree. He's a different kind of character for the Indy series and I would've liked to see him fleshed out a bit more.

Ehh, I don't know. So far, AICN is the only place that seems to have reviews. That right there sends up warning flags. I guess we shall see, though.

Meh, who cares about that? This is Indy! Bring it! :D[face_dancing]
  10. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
  11. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    That's right, folks. The first offical review is a positive one. The first of many, hopefully.
  12. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
  13. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    More reviews:

variety: http://www.variety.com/VE1117937176.html

bbc: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7407209.stm

foxnews: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356527,00.html

levy: http://www.emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=9954

cinematical:
    one positiv
    one negativ
  14. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    I'm really glad to see so many positive reviews so far. Hopefully they'll keep coming. :)
  15. JediANGELA Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  16. VladTheImpaler Jedi Master

star 4
    I figured Variety, being a well-known publication, would be vague enough for a spoiler-avoider like myself too read. Unfortunately, two or three paragraphs in and I'm already freaking out. Despite every natural urge, I am going stop reading.

Excellent to hear that the "real" reviews are coming up positive.
  17. JediOverlord Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    73% on RottenTomatoes as of this writing!

[face_dancing]
  18. Coruscant Force Ghost

star 6
  19. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
  20. gabe Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    "Indiana Jones--let's be honest--never was a memorable movie character." - Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune

Can you believe that? He's a "top critic" on rotten tomatoes even. How sad.

Edit: Happy to see a majority of positive reviews of course!
  21. Oissan Force Ghost

star 6
    This is soooo typical for Germany:
    "Oh look, 3/4 of the reviews are positive, but I didn't like it, lets report that no one liked it!".

The press here is really pathetic. Everytime a big movie, book or CD is released, you get rubbish like that. Lots of lies and mis-information and no one there to correct them, it's just pathetic.

Actually, that's true for pretty much everything, not only regarding entertainment. The press here is just awful, almost as bad as our judges, who are doing their best to keep criminals out of jail. Now back on topic ;)

I'm not even talking about the snobbish reviewers some papers actually pay money to. Elitists to the tenth degree, no movie is good unless it's like Schindler's list, even if it's a movie for children or just meant to entertain. And please, the movie has to be political correct all the time and must not consist of anything that could put Germany in a good light, we are all evil after all. :rolleyes:

Luckily, the normal reviewers rate it as quite good.
    Not that it matters really, I'll see whether it is any good on Wednesday.
  22. Captain_Typho Force Ghost

star 5
    Tomatometer is now at 80% with 83% freshness from top critics. Go Indy!

[face_dancing]
  23. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

I saw one review that started out, "After the debacle that was the Star Wars prequels...",
    I mean, some of these people just live in the past and can never let go. He just HAD to get in one more shot at Lucas, apparently he didn't like the prequels. They were hardly a debacle with the public, they sold about 2.3 BILLION dollars worth of tickets, I'm sure a lot of producers in Hollywood would enjoy having a "debacle" like that. A debacle is when no one shows up at the theatre and watches the films. After Phantom Menace, the public bought over a billion dollars MORE tickets to watch AOTC and ROTS, so I guess Lucas did something right.

So this reviewer couldn't JUST review Crystal Skull, he had to use it as an excuse for more prequel attacks. I didn't even bother to read the rest of the review, considering the start.

Critics, the prequels have been done for three years. Move along.

Fortunately, the majority of the reviews look positive.
  24. Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    "If you eat four pounds of sausage, how do you choose which pound tasted the best?"

[face_laugh] That is classic Roger Ebert right there. I'm glad he liked the movie.
  25. jkthunder Jedi Padawan

The Metacritic average for Indy 4 has been holding at 66% positive since yesterday. I've been keeping tabs on it as more reviews roll in there:

http://www.metacritic.com/film/titles/indianajones4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.