main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Reviews for Indy IV (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by HanSolo29 , May 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    HOW DARE HE?! What kind of critic provides context to their reviews? I mean, no one EVER mentions the Indiana Jones movies when they're reviewing Spielberg's other films!:rolleyes:

Many of my friends are both Star Wars and Indiana Jones fans. None of us liked the prequels (parts of them sure, but not a single whole movie would we call 'good'). And we've also pretty unanimously worried over the past year or so that the Indy series would go the way of the SW franchise.

I would imagine that my friends and I are not alone in this. Chances are good that the majority of people who were disappointed with the prequels went into this movie with concern caused by the way Lucasfilm's last franchise revival went. And there are PLENTY of people who were disappointed with the prequels.

"Will Indy 4 suck like the prequels or will it be good?" has been a prevalent question among fans of the two series for quite a while, and it makes perfect sense that a reviewer should approach things within this context.

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ ^ That's fair, I think, but I still agree with the poster that the word "debacle" with regard to the PT is something of an overstatement.

3. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    Almost everyone I know in RL who is a SW fan would disagree with you, but that's opinions for ya.

4. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Well, I mean from an objective standpoint. Individual people of a certain age and outlook -- for example, all of your friends, and most of mine -- despise the prequels. But look, millions of young people adore them, and they made a bazillion dollars worldwide. No matter how you slice it, that doesn't fit the definition of "debacle". The denotative meaning of a word is not a matter of opinion.

5. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Exactly. "Debacle" usually don't make 2.4 billion dollars. The prequels may have disappointed a lot of people but you can't deny that a lot of people actually enjoyed them. Same thing with Indy 4. There's plenty of love and hate to go around.

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    "A complete failure" would be one of those definitions that I think leaves plenty of room for subjective opinion. Especially since people have widely different views of what would have constituted the prequels being a 'success'.

7. Myriad_Daydreams

Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2007
    My "review" for Indy IV:

First of all, it is obvious that Indy IV would never be as good as the original three. Just like Star Wars PT will never be the same or as good as OT. So many people went into Indy IV ready to hate it because it just wasn't what they used to know. I didn't expect it to be amazing, and I got so much more than I expected!

I really, truly liked this movie :D The CGI wasn't over the top, and only in the end sequence with Cate Blanchet and the alien did I think to myself "What is this?!". It had a simplistic, pure-adventure type of feeling, sure it had it's fair share of crazy stunts and CGI-generated effects, but it was by no means over the top. Shia LeBeouf (sp?) who I *did* go into the film wanting to hate, I came out with a generally good feeling about him. He didn't steal the show, he wasn't a typical child-of-the-hero stereotype, and he had a character all to himself, not an Indy or Marion clone. He had some truly funny moments, and their back and forth bantering reminded me vaguely of Harrison Ford and Sean Connery ;)

There were a few less desirable moments (Shia swinging through the trees?? Tarzan anyone?) but more than made up for it in laughs, warm moments, and kick ass action sequences :cool: 8 or 9 out of 10 :D

Just my two cents [face_peace]

8. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Surely earning multiple billions of dollars would be considered some sort of success; therefore, the term "complete failure" is objectively not applicable. ;)

9. DARTH_MARK-22

DARTH_MARK-22 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 11, 2003
    The general feeling I'm getting from all my friends is deadpan "Aliens? Really?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.