main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First Rotoscope Clip

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by JTB4, Jul 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTB4

JTB4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    Just because everyone seems to be posting their first clips, I'll display mine. I'd appreciate any feed back. (On the rotoscoping, I know that I can't swing the thing, and that the toy I was using is too short and fat)

I apologize for the bandwidth problems I'm sure to have. Maybe a few of you will get a look. I should compress the file more. (8 meg, 8 seconds)

Tripod Link EDIT: -- You'll have to right click and choose "Save Target As"

By the way, I've been lurking for a while, this is my first post, in case any of you are wondering who I am.

JTB4

2. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    8 megs = 8 seconds??? What are you using as a CODEC? What prog are you using? If i had cable i'd take a lookie but i dont.... :(

OH YEAH! I'm first!!!!!

3. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Go back to the SWG forums. :p

;)
    Kyle

4. JTB4

JTB4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    Yeah, it's a good quality Sorenson 3, no audio compression, 320x240, 30fps (well, 29.97) I apologize for the size issue. I'll make a smaller version when I get a chance.

JTB

EDIT: What Fremen?

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    I can't get the link to work, right clicking or otherwise. :(

6. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    It was directed at Vengeance. If you go over to the Star Wars Glaxies' forums, they are obsessed with the first posts. And I thought seeing as he is a new poster, he might have come from those boards as well, or at least been to them.

;)
    Kyle

7. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    I got it to work. It looks really good, the blade is a little short and I'm not sure if that's blue or purple but it looks pretty good.

8. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    That's actually very good, nice ending too :D Which method did you use?

9. JTB4

JTB4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    Thanks guys,
    The blade was intended to be blue, the color balance could use a little work I suppose, and the background isn't quite ideal for a saber, so we lose some color accuracy there too.

The glow was applied using a variation on ryan_w's method, with another glow layer to give it a little more definition on that background (and add instead of screen mode) Well, I did the cores in Commotion Pro, then rendered out just the mask, then added the glow (Varying gaussian blurs/color balance) and composited it in after effects. The entire thing took about 3 hours.

Daft: Neither can I at the moment, actually. Tripod is quite a pain but I haven't had much luck with IIS on my home PC, so I'll have to put up with it (Hey, you get what you pay for) :)

JTB

10. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    uh, fremen, i only really use this part of the forum, and never even been in the SWG forums, anyways...

d/ling movie........

11. NXTB

NXTB Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2002
    Very nice! One of the better first clips I've seen. (No offense to the others) I use a rotoscoping method very similar to that, and I'm happy with the results. I too like the ending.

NXTB

12. CenMakira

CenMakira Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2002
    can't d/l vid =\ hrmm....

13. Fremen

Sep 10, 2001
    It was a hunch. No offence intended.

;)
    Kyle

14. JTB4

JTB4 Jedi Youngling

Jul 19, 2002
    It's just tripod's dang bandwidth limitations. I can't really do anything about it. (With the video at that size, one person can view it per hour - should be coming back online soon though :)) Oh well, it's nothing too spectacular anyway, I'll look for other hosting options for future clips.

Thanks for your interest,
    JTB

EDIT: Yeah, try it now, will work for a few people.

15. CenMakira

CenMakira Jedi Youngling

Jul 14, 2002
    You did a good job.. The rotoscoping is good... howmany FPS? oh well later

16. QbnJedi

QbnJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    i liked it...execpt the blade is 2 short...it flowed nicely with the sound...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.