main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge First Sentence (Twich's Twisted Sisters!) We got new sentences - Get em while they're hot!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Twich, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Okay I thought that this challenge might be fun, so let's see what happens with it. :)

Here's the premise. I'm going to post a sentence here. Just one sentence. That will be the first sentence of a fic.

No rules on length, characters, style..format...any of it.

And just to see how different everyone's thought process is, we post the first paragraph of that fic in this thread. Just the first paragraph! No more than that! If people want to see the full product, they can go to the forums. So at the end of the challenge, everyone's fic will start with the same sentence.

I'll be starting threads in all of the forums (before, saga and beyond) so that people can post their fics there. Make sure when you post the fics, you reference back to this thread. (The moderators specifically asked me to start the threads, so please post your fics there. It will help the board not get too cluttered up and we all know that will help! LOL!)

And if you like, you don't even have to do a complete fic. Just post the rest of the first paragraph here and let everyone know what you would do with that sentence.

So...everyone ready??? Here's the sentence:

As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her.

There it is. Now..let's see what happens! :D

Here are the threads:

Before the Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/20799271/?0

The Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/20799327/?0

Beyond the Saga:
    http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/20799351/?0

ETA a list of all the sentences to this point (June 13, 2006)

Here's the Master List.

2005 Sentences

1: As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her.

2: As he held her chin in his hands and looked into those beautiful tear filled eyes, he felt a tremor run through his entire body and knew what he had to do.

3: He awoke drenched in sweat with his heart racing and his eyes refusing to focus and the only thing he could think was "Tell me this is not happening."

4: The stench of garbage filled her nose as she scraped and crawled her way along the path and for a brief moment, she wondered if this was where she would die.

5: As he rolled over and reached out for something to defend himself, his hand found her soft form and made him aware that it had all been a dream and this time, she was the reality.

6: The energy from their weapons sizzled between them and as their eyes met from across the room, they both knew that this was most certainly the end to what might have been a beautiful friendship.

7: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way -- in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only." Charles Dickens, a Tale of Two Cities

8: The tears rolled down her face as she gripped him tightly, knowing that she might never see him again but needing to tell him how much she loved him.

9. For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan End sentence

10. Nobody was really surprised when it happened, not really, not on the subconscious level where savage things grow. by Stephen King

11. As the headache began to subside, the random images of strangers offering congratulations, orchestral music paired

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Great idea! And thank you SO much for starting the threads! [:D] It makes finding the responses easier and I'm sure the indexers will love you for it! ;)

3. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    I shall, Obi like, stroke my non existant beard and ponder this one![face_monkey]

4. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Hmmm... Well, well, well...This seems very interesting. I shall mull over this challenge... :D

5. SlaneTransportLtd

SlaneTransportLtd Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Does it matter if the entry is the start of a chapter in an ongoing story? If it dosn't I've found somewhere for the line to go in my fic...

STL

6. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Yipee! A challenge just when I need one!
    (yup, and I need more holes in my head,too.)

Seriously though, great starting sentence. It could be used in any of the three forums. Cool!
    Can't wait to see where this will go.

7. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    Great idea with oodles of possibilities.

I must find the time to participate.

8. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Actually, it's supposed to be the first sentence of a fic so that at the end, everyone who participates will have the same starting sentence and we'll all get to see how others take it. :)

Jennifer_LynThanks! I had hoped that anyone from any era would be able to use it! :)

I can't wait to see where everyone goes with this!

9. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I did mine! It is on the Before thread. :p

10. cdmcc

cdmcc Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2005
    Typical Mod one-upmanship!!!:p:p[face_monkey]

O:)

11. oldjedinurse

oldjedinurse Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 6, 2003
    :)

Hey, great idea!

Oh, and VL? :p ...and I mean that most sincerely in the kindest way! You are WAY to fast for me!!

I'll see what comes to mind for this...

oldj

EDIT: Even worse, VL, your fic is great!! [face_laugh] 8-} **laughs maniacally**

12. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    **huffs in, out of breath**

Okay, I've posted mine in the Beyond Thread! Here are the first two paragraphs (two, because number one is so short):

No Problem

As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her. No reason to hurry. A half-mug of ale?s no match for a blaster anyway.

Suddenly, the hail of fire stopped. Shouts and sounds of booted feet on the run grew louder as she thought better of continuing toward the fight. Ducking into a doorway, she watched as five spacers tripped and stumbled toward the lift doors at the hallway intersection. She sipped her ale quietly as one of the spacers palmed the lift?s call panel over and over.

To read the rest: The Beyond First Sentence Challenge Thread

oldj

13. oldjedinurse

Oct 6, 2003
    **huffs in, out of breath**

Okay, I've posted mine in the Beyond Thread!

oldj

EDIT: Double post - don't know why...sorry!

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    *is so proud of her padawan for doing this* [:D] You go girl! :D

15. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Ah, I intended to do this a long time ago, but thought that between it and the JC Title Challenge, it would be too much. Thanks for having the idea as well!

16. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Great minds think alike? I hope. Either that or all the crazies are housed in the same place...

Thank you Master! [:D] I'm glad everyone seems to like it! :D

ETA: I love both of the entries so far! It's so cool to see where everyone's mind will take the same thing!

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
  18. IrishEyedJedi

IrishEyedJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 24, 2005

Here goes nothing!

Hope Still Lived

As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her. The captain had begged her not to leave the bridge but waiting around to be captured was not an option. So against all hope she took to the battled torn corridors praying to find something that could help her in this desperate hour. The sound of a body slamming against the wall jarred her from her thoughts. Just a few feet away from her was the body of one of theirs guards. She looked into his lifeless eyes and realized that this man gave his life to protect her and to protect the small amount of hope she carried.

To read the rest of this viggie head to the Saga Board!

- http://boards.theforce.net/The_Saga/b10476/20799327/?0 -

[face_good_luck]

19. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Twich, this is a most wonderful challenge. I am very much enjoying those who've found inspiration in it. Thank you so much for thinking of it and posting.

20. Jennifer_Lyn

Jennifer_Lyn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 2005
    Mine's up, what fun!

Title: A Jedi's Best Friend
    Author: Jennifer_Lyn
    Characters: Unnamed Jedi and his "Padawan"
    Summary: A Jedi and his "Padawan" are on a retreat that gets interupted by danger.
    Notes: This takes place in the earlier days of the Order.

As she wandered down the hallway, she clutched the only weapon that she could find and prayed that none of the blaster bolts dancing from around the corner would find their mark in her. The lights flashed on and off in a rapid, disturbing pattern that disoriented her. She moved further down the hall, away from the firefight, hoping to gain exit to the outdoors where she knew there were safer places to hide. She also hoped to find her master there. She had to warn him somehow of what she had seen.

The rest is in Before the Saga

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, will there be a different one any time soon? Unless the people doing the shooting are doing target practice for gym class, this is too violent for my no-killing rule.

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Blaster fire doesn't necessarily mean someone dies. I managed to write one that was quite mushy! :p

Great idea, Twich! And thanks for creating the threads and checking with the mods! :D It makes our jobs easier and now we get to sit back and enjoy the responses! [:D]

23. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Well, you always COULD make them doing target practice for gym class....(Hehe!) Did you see OJN's in Beyond the Saga?? LOL! Great ideas. :)

If this takes off, I may post another one soon without any killing or blasters. Maybe next one will be mush and gush??

24. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    What a wonderful and original idea! I've been thinking about this for a bit, and I think I have a plot bunny! Thanks a lot. I don't need this right now you know. I'm busy! :p :p

[:D]

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Mush and gush would be fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.