main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge First Sentence (Twich's Twisted Sisters!) We got new sentences - Get em while they're hot!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Twich, Jul 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShadowofLures

ShadowofLures Jedi Master star 3

Jul 13, 2005
    Hello all! :)
    *up*
    yes, i'm still here, just busy and bored at the same time.

it's hard. ;)
    -Lures @};-

2. TwichsTwistedSisters

TwichsTwistedSisters Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2005
    To many Labor Day signifies a long weekend that will end the summer season. It is also the yearly reminder of the struggles and search for cures for those with muscular disorders. It is the latter that brought to mind a special sentence for this week.

Please begin your entries with this sentence:

Even during a time of peace many are still at war with the challenges that life brings.

Good luck and please let us know when you've posted your entries.

3. ShadowofLures

Jul 13, 2005
    Preeeeeeetty sentence 8-} [face_hypnotized] .....i-want-to-touch-it.....

OW!

Bad sentence, bad!

[/Dory]

[face_laugh] just having a bit of fun, but it's something i can feed my plot bunnies! yea! :D

-Lures @};-

4. Kidan

Kidan TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 20, 2003
    i know i've not produced anything recently....but i still need me new sentence....[face_worried]

=P~<-- Kidan going through sentence withdrawls

5. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    That's alright. I haven't produced anything for months. I start. I stall. Life is not good.

Since I can't bear to watch you suffer so, I'm going to give post a sentence, just for you. I think you will like it.

Oh and I checked already, this sentence has not already been used.

A famous first sentence of literature from the book Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss.

For many days we had been tempest-tossed.

6. ShadowofLures

Jul 13, 2005
    *up*

-Lures @};-

7. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003

QFT Bump....

8. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    Curses!

The sentence I wanted to use has been used...only once. If only someone hadn't used it just once...

Ah, well. I'll still write. But this could take a while; it's shaping up to be long and I never finish anything.

9. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    o_O you do know that just because someone has used a sentence already there is nothing stopping you from using the sentence as well....

10. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Hmmmm.

I know that I've been absent due to family obligations and I'm sorry for that. (We had a death in the family and needed to drop everything and fly to the East Coast for a week and I'm STILL trying to catch up!)

But let's see what we can do for putting a sentence up here. ;)

How about this famous first sentence from a wonderful Sci Fi writer? (Can anyone guess the writer and the book??)

Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Sound good?

11. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Yes, I do. However, I was going through page after page and saw no one was using the sentence I was going to...and then, bam, just one. I sighed and figured I was about to see a slough of first paragraphs using it, but I completed the thread, and saw there was still only one.

If even two had, I would have figured, "ah, well", but there being only one other one so far kinda...well, if two had, it wouldn't have mattered. But the first time a new sentence is used, there's a sort of, "Ooh, new sentence use!", at least with me, but after that, it's immediately, "Oh, another one."

I imagine it's like Buzz Aldrin. Everyone who went to the Moon after Apollo 11 had to know they'd never be as famous as anyone on that flight (or so they thought, until the Apollo 13 SNAFU), but it had to suck for Buzz Aldrin, because there's no place in history for "Second man to step on the moon".

Yes, it's melodramatic and overwrought, but then so am I. *flips his hair and flounces away*

12. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Title: Countdown
    Author: Shadowen
    Characters: They're all OCs! All of them! Hahahahaha! Ha!
    Genre:Space Opera. Duh.
    Summary: 750 years after the Battle of Endor, the galaxy is a very different place: there are three powers in the galaxy, sector 0 is neutral territory, Force use is outlawed, and the Jedi, though active, have been outlawed and considered terrorists since the disastrous Solo-Skywalker Wars centuries earlier. Now, an elite Ascendancy soldier is on a mission as a diplomatic liason to the Imperium just as the galaxy starts to get interesting.... (The Legacy comics are being ignored for now.)
    Disclaimer: It is my plan to travel in time to 1965 and give my dad the outline for Star Wars, allowing me to have a hand in the Expanded Universe and giving me the ability to declare this canon, as well as bestowing vast wealth upon my family. Until I have solved the problem of temporal paradox, however, Star Wars is not mine and therefore I cannot and am not making money off of this. Stupid space-time.
    Notes: Not my first fanfic. Not my first Star Wars fanfic. Not my first Star Wars fanfic I've posted online. My first response to a challenge ever. Also, the first part of what will almost certainly end up as a very long story. And we're only supposed to post the first paragraph, but this sentence is a paragraph by itself.

tick

It?s been said that the moment you are born you also begin to die, as the tick tock of death?s chrono is activated, counting down to the moment one will return to wherever their beliefs teach, the how, when, where and why to be determined somewhere along life?s path.

This was particularly true of the Constructed. Major Kaec'el'ldorin, at least, counted his heartbeats when he was idled, figure out how much time so many of them would take, and used that to figure out how many heartbeats he'd have in his life--and thusly how many they had left. He didn't know if others did it, but he'd be more surprised if other Constructed weren't at least clock-watchers.

Linkage: http://boards.theforce.net/beyond_the_saga/b10477/20799351/p27

13. ShadowofLures

Jul 13, 2005
    ello all!
    i'm bored at school, but i'm alive. :)
    love you guys! [:D] (and miss you :( )

-Lures @};-

14. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Hey...how about another new sentence? Anyone interested? Still out there?

*tap tap tap* Did we have a black hole open up? Let me know if you want a new one! :)

15. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Aye, I want one...I've been trying to come up with a plot bunny for these new ones, but haven't been able to...[face_worried]

16. Twich

Twich Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 6, 2005
    Oooh. Okay.

How about a nice two-fer?

Two sentences today...you've got to use one of them as the beginning and the other somewhere in the course of the story. Okay?

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. (That's by Voltaire in case you're interested...)

and

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

So pick one as your opening sentence and use the other one somewhere in your story.

Either of those work for anyone?

17. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    Leave it to Voltaire and Emerson to get the old creativity juices flowing.

Title: First Date
    Author: Kidan
    Characters: Ben Skywalker, OC
    Notes: This is for the First Sentence Challenge. Hope you all enjoy!

This time, the challenge requires two sentences. One is the first, and the other is used.
    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. and A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.

[b]First Date[/b]

?A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes longer.?

Thirteen year-old Ben Skywalker reads the plaque on the Hoth monument, wondering just what that means. To him, bravery is simple. It is the hero. The one who fights for what is right. It is his mom and his dad. His aunt and his uncle.

He scratches as his strawberry-blonde hair, trying to figure it out.[/blockquote]

As always, read more here: http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=25232382

18. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Just to make sure everyone's aware: new part in my story has been posted in the thread.

19. ShadowofLures

Jul 13, 2005
    *up*

-Lures @};-

20. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    I have updated again.

Ta-daa.

Also, expect more updates from me over the next few days.

EDIT: And just because I can, I offer a sentence. Can be either beginning or end.

Dying has the marvelous side effect of immortalizing you.

21. Kidan

Jul 20, 2003
    [face_worried] sentences??

22. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I know we missed last week. Thanks to shadowen for the offer of a sentence.

Note: Yesterday's sentence will be posted sometime today.

Thanks for your patience.

23. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    Hi, everyone! Remember me? I used to post here a while ago, and kind of lost track of the thread. Well, I'm back, with one of the old sentences:

In the end, it didn?t matter, because, even after everything they?d been through, he was still sure that he would have to kill her. She was too careless?to mercenary?too flashy. Nothing was above being. Nothing was too precious to her. He had watched her inform on people to the Imperial Guard, and look on in childish glee as they died horrible deaths. He had watched her accept money?small, paltry prices?for people?s lives. He had listened as she talked of makeup, or the latest fashions while her own victims were wallowing in a pit of human misery.

It's posted in the Saga thread.

24. TwichsTwistedSisters

TwichsTwistedSisters Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 7, 2005
    Welcome back R_P [:D]

Ok. I know that I myself am looking forward to the great entries spawned from this week's opening sentence:

Though everything within her wanted to lash out at the enemy she refrained, knowing that giving into anger was just what they wanted from her.

Don't forget to let us know when you've completed your entry and where we can find it. :D

25. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    I was looking through old sentences again, and I fell in love with this one:

Though not one usually interested in the beauty of a simple sunset, she could not help but be mesmerized by the vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows that were mixing with the fading blue of daylight and coming black of night. The magnificent sight comforted her, giving her a moment of relief after the turmoil of the last few weeks.

The rest can be found here. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.