main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Official Info Rogue One - First Anthology Film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by TCF-1138 , Mar 12, 2015.

1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Rogue One

From starwars.com

Rogue One is the title for the first film in a unique series of big-screen adventures that explores the characters and events beyond the core Star Wars saga. Rogue One will be directed by Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla) and written by Oscar nominee Chris Weitz (Cinderella, About a Boy, Antz). The first actress cast is Felicity Jones, who garnered an Academy Award nomination and critical acclaim for her performance in The Theory of Everything. The idea for the story of Rogue One came from John Knoll, an Academy Award-winning visual effects supervisor and chief creative officer at Industrial Light & Magic. He will executive produce along with Simon Emanuel (The Dark Knight Rises, Fast & Furious 6) and Jason McGatlin (Tintin, War of the Worlds). Kathleen Kennedy and Tony To (Band of Brothers, The Pacific) are on board to produce and John Swartz (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) will co-produce. The film starts shooting this summer in London and is due for release on December 16, 2016.

Ananta Chetan, TheYodaPagoda and EHT like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Tagged as Official.

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Let the fun begin.

4. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Well so far everything about this sounds pretty great. Felicity Jones blew me away in "The Theory of Everything", can't wait to find out who her character will be.

5. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I take it this is about Rogue Squadron? Awesome!

DARTH_BELO and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    That would be my guess!
    Imagine a whole movie about X-wings =P~

As long as they don't recast Wedge or any characters like that, I'm incredibly happy about these news!

7. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    So instead of waiting three years for another movie, we get to wait a year, then a year and six months. Outstanding! Bring 'em on!

Chris_Fives likes this.
  8. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Isn't it first a year, then six months?

TheYodaPagoda likes this.
  9. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Yes, only six months between Rogue One and VIII. What a time to be alive!

I'm partial to the May release dates since my birthday is May 21, so I'm really excited that Episode VIII will be a birthday present of sorts.

DARTH_BELO and TigerCraneFist like this.
  10. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    So, let's talk about the title itself for a bit.

Star Wars: Rogue One

It sounds good, looks good - it's simple, and I like it.
    And it gives us a little to speculate about. Is Rogue One the main character? Probably. Maybe she (I'm guessing it's a she, based on the only announced cast member) is more or less only called this.
    Does this mean that all spinoffs will follow this formula, with the character name as the title (like "Star Wars: Han Solo", "Star Wars: Boba Fett", "Star Wars: Max Reebo")? Or is the character called something else, with Rogue One just being the call sign, that also happens to sound cool as a title?
    Personally, I hope it's the latter. Rogue One is, as I said, a nice title - I dig it. But I hope the other spinoffs will have titles that fit the films, without any particular formula.

11. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    All of the dates have me confused...yeah, you're right. I'm keeping my error (that I had "corrected") in place. So maybe I was thinking "a year and six months after The Force Awakens" and typed that. Anyway, lots of Star Wars! Woo!

TigerCraneFist likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    Put this one together real quick.

[​IMG]

Sum-Wan and TheYodaPagoda like this.
  13. Fruit Pastilles

Fruit Pastilles Jedi Master star 3

Dec 21, 2014
    Finally! Let the speculation begin. I'm very excited for the future of this, can't go wrong with a film about X-Wings.

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Disney continues to ignore the Prequel era. I am disappointed in this announcement. I just feel like ignoring half of George's film series is a bit of an insult.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    :rolleyes: Rebels has PT/TCW connections with more on the way. Dark Disciple is coming out soon. TCW was 6 seasons with a movie and 100+ episodes. The OT only has 3 movies. The OT has less content right now. Besides one movie. Second movie might be something completely different.

16. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Rebels is totally OT, that doesn't count at all. And the only reason Dark Disciple is coming is because something from the PT era got cancelled. Practically every single thing that has come out since Disney started their canon system has been OT related. Ever since TCW got cancelled there has been almost nothing from the PT era.

Just my perspective, I hope you know I'm not shouting at you or anything lol:)

17. TheYodaPagoda

Apr 23, 2002
    Like the long-awaited Yoda movie? Please please please let that happen!

jaqen and Darkslayer like this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Bridging the gap between the two trilogies. Jedi,
    Ashoka, Hondo, Bail, Luminara, Kanan
    TCW/PT characters all. Kanan comic. ROTS/Order 66 era. Doesn't count? You're kidding right?
    And the last time we've had a true OT tv series? Never. There has been 6 seasons of TCW and 3 seasons of the micro-series. PT era has had its fair share of exposure the last 15 years compared to the OT. Rebels, Servants of the Empire, Darth Vader etc all have nods to the PT. Not sure about how DD came to be however. Besides with the ST, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on the characters that will actually appear in the movie and not on something 50 years before hand?
    Rebels season 2, the comics and books leading up to Episode 7, the ST, the spin-off, the current books and comics will tie-in everything. Don't see the issue.

19. bigtukker

bigtukker Jedi Master star 2

Sep 22, 2012
    Bridging the gap between PT and OT is pretty much all they're doing (except for the Star Wars comics, but even DV and PL are closing the gap) and that's coming from a PT fan.

20. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I heard a rumor a few months ago (which I won't say because of the spoiler free nature of this board - though I'm not quite as worried about spoilers for spinoffs,) about what the first spinoff would be that had me pretty excited. It wasn't anything major, just the essential conflict, but the title of this movie seems to confirm it. I have to say, if it is indeed true, I'm thinking they chose really well for a first spinoff!

Come on! I expect more from a fellow Star Wars fan! :p

21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm not kidding. The tone of the series is completely OT-oriented, and so are the main characters. Ahsoka was in it for like 15 seconds. Luminara was a trick. Kanan is not a character created from the PT era. I don't mind an OT era show but why not let TCW finish when it had a plan mapped out? And "nods to the PT" isn't good enough for me. The OT films themselves had nods to the PT, that didn't make them PT era content. And also, who says we can't have content from all 3 eras? We are getting nothing from the PT other than the unaired Clone Wars episodes, which we would have gotten anyways had they been aired - which they should have.

Dark Disciple is from Clone Wars episodes that were unable to be put on air due to Disney cancelling the show.

22. The Most Cunning Jedi

The Most Cunning Jedi Jedi Master star 2

Dec 24, 2014
    I don't think Disney is ignoring the PT era... yet.

I will admit I'm a sucker for bridging the two trilogies together. Seeing Ahsoka as a Rebel informant, Leia
    visiting Naboo
    , Vader
    killing Sandpeople just for the heck of it...
    I love it all. And I suspect it will continue... in the EU.
    Abrams and the Spin-off guys don't seem to care at all for the PT however. That doesn't mean their films will be bad, though. Introducing new characters, ships, planets, mythologies... that's more important than any PT or OT nod. But if there's gonna be nods/stuff carrying over from the OT only, then it does feel weird. Here we just had 3 films the past decade that expanded the SW universe in ways some people could have not seen coming back in the 80's. We learned so much about what we see in the OT. Why would anyone want to limit the scope of that/try to reverse those advances?

But for all it's worth, Rian Johnson, our director Ep 8 - has spoken out in admiration for the prequels. Filoni loves the heck out of that era. Not everyone over at Lucasfilm has suddently turned into Red Letter Media lol.

More on topic, a film about Rogue Squadron does not really excite me (although that's due to me not paying much attention to them/not reading their stuff from the EU). But I am SO relieved it's not Star Wars: Han Solo or Star Wars: Boba Fett. [face_sick] And I look forward to see what it can bring. It can give the general public who aren't that neck-deep into this stuff like us an idea of just how many different types of stories you can tell in the Star Wars Universe.

Bail B. Baobab likes this.
  23. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Neat news. I found out about it through Wikipedia when I was just sitting there and typed in "Star Wars" just to see how a Wikipedia entry on Star Wars looked. I scrolled to the "standalone films" section and saw "The film's title was revealed to be Rogue One on March 12, 2015" and thought "hey, that's today."

24. Forbidden Island

Forbidden Island Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 23, 2015
    You may notice how on the Wikipedia page for Star Wars, the saga and spinoff films are now separated in the box thingy on the side of the article... that was because of me.... it's my first and only edit on Wikipedia.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  25. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I like this Rogue Squadron idea: it promises some good starfighter action.

Now, I'm wanting to know-what era does it fall in? Before ANH? Between IV-V? After VI? I'd be fine with any of them really.

Might be interesting to have a Rogue Squadron film that sort of plays out like Top Gun...

It would also be interesting to see something like Red tails-or a sort of film that takes place just after the events of the Battle of Endor. With Rogue Squadron leading a fight against remaining Imperial forces...

Bobatron and Force Smuggler like this.