main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST First Teaser

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JabbatheHumanBeing, Dec 28, 2015.

1. interxavier01

interxavier01 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 18, 2015
    I have a bad feeling they're going to post the teaser during or after the premiere of Rogue One. Something tells me they're going to be a lot more secretive than last time. Logically, it works because it would prevent Episode VIII from stealing Rogue One's thunder in terms of hype. Assuming Rogue One will be as good as TFA (or maybe better), I can see them attaching the teaser for Episode VIII at the post credits sequence to get us pumped for the summer flick.

2. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I would hope a year out like TFA, but I kind of doubt it this time around. I'm with the peeps saying during the summer at Celebration. Hopefully we get the title in April/May.

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
  3. Big Bad Yoda Daddy

Big Bad Yoda Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Mar 8, 2000
    I'm actually guessing not until Rogue One - they don't want to confuse audiences or make them think Rogue One isn't a main event.

Krueger likes this.
  4. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Apologies if this has been posted before therefore please close and place accordingly...

Considering we got TFA teaser trailer almost 13 months prior to the release date, do you think they will do the same for VIII to keep the SW momentum/buzz going through the summer?

If that was the case we would be looking at late April for a teaser...[face_dancing]

Mav Edit: Thread merge

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
  5. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think it would be virtually impossible i'm afraid, unless they've used TFA footage along with what they shot at Skellig ls September. Principal photography begins within the month and could last for up to 6 months, so they'll most likely still be filming in April/May.

Trooper100471 likes this.
  6. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I think Celebration and/or SDCC are a more likely bet. Both are the same week in July.

7. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Maybe the summer then?

Django Fett likes this.
  8. Trooper100471

Oct 20, 2015
    Cool. Thanks for the info. Either way it's not long to wait for the next fix...

9. redavnikana

redavnikana Jedi Master star 1

Mar 13, 2004
    Full trailer will be attached to Rogue One in December.

Krueger likes this.
  10. dlbates

dlbates Jedi Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    I can see them maybe having a quick teaser in May

11. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    They *could*. In fact, filming will probably be done by then. But I have a feeling they're gonna want to hype Rogue One up. I expect a teaser in July, and a full trailer after Rogue One.

12. DarthHavok

DarthHavok Jedi Master star 2

Feb 27, 2002
    Principle photography started in May for TFA and lasted about 3 months. So they had 3 months to start post-production (special effects, etc)

13. PlagueisWise

PlagueisWise Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 28, 2015
    If I had to venture a guess:

Rogue One teaser released in April or attached to Cap: Civil War (at the very latest).
    Episode VIII title released on May 4 or May 25.
    Episode VIII teaser at Celebration in July.
    Rogue One full trailer in August or September.
    Episode VIII full trailer attached to Doctor Strange in November or Rogue One (at the latest).

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    The title will probably be announced sometime within the next two months, after filming has started.

I wouldn't be surprised if we get some sort of behind-the-scenes sneak-peek on the TFA DVD. Principal photography will be going for a few months by then, and this would be the perfect way kickstart the hype for Episode VIII while Episode VII is still fresh in people's minds.

It's not that far fetched, the Harry Potter movies used to do this.

That said, while I wouldn't be surprised, it's still kind of wishful thinking.

CarboniteSolo likes this.
  15. PlagueisWise

Feb 28, 2015
    I think the only difference with the Harry Potter movies is that everyone already knew the story ahead of time for them since they were based on books. Nothing would really be a "spoiler" since the novels had already been released and the movies were the adaptations of the novels.

16. DarthHavok

Feb 27, 2002
    Full trailer with Doctor Strange in November is too soon. I do agree with everything up to the full trailers. If they go with a similar campaign, the full trailer was released in mid-October. We'd probably see a similar case with Rogue One. If they do the same with Episode VIII then that would put the full trailer in March... perfect timing with the Beauty and the Beast live action movie on March 17th, 2017. Gambit comes out in October as does Inferno (the Da Vinci Code sequel). It will probably be attached to one of those.

17. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    November/December is a bit too soon for a full trailer. That would leave a 5-6 month gap between trailer and movie - not good marketing. Episode VII had three trailers: a teaser the year before, a more substantial teaser in April, and a full trailer in in October.

Following that pattern, I think we'll see the first teaser for Episode VIII, as you said, this summer. The marketing and hype-machine space will then be given almost entirely to Rogue One, and the second, more substantial teaser for Episode VIII will be attached to and released alongside it. Finally, we'll likely see the final, full trailer in March 2017.

PlagueisWise likes this.
  18. PlagueisWise

Feb 28, 2015
    Your timeline makes more sense. I was counting the "more substantial teaser" as the full trailer for purposes of my proposed plan. I had forgotten that the actual "full trailer" didn't release until October.

Jozgar likes this.
  19. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    -Episode VIII release date is May 26, 2017

-The first teaser for TFA was just under 13 months ahead of release.

-Captain America-Civil War has a release date of May 6, 2016

Ergo...

Online release of Episode VIII trailer on May 4, 2016 (May the Fourth Be With You!) and attached to Civil War.

20. Vector-Prime

Vector-Prime Jedi Master

Aug 9, 2005
    I'm genuinely concerned at the short turn around time for VIII. FA had a full 3 years of production. This will have half that.

21. PlagueisWise

Feb 28, 2015
    I wouldn't be that worried if I were you. I'm sure the full 3 years of production involved planning out the broad story of the entire Sequel Trilogy. They had to work out what the story beats would generally be and how to reach them film-by-film. TFA didn't actually start filming until fall of 2014 (if memory serves me) which would fit the overall time table that VIII will have. Keep in mind that Rian Johnson was hired earlier this year and has been working on the story since then. If you count that as part of the timeline, VIII will have a 2 full years of production.

Also, before the story problems arose when JJ came aboard, TFA was originally announced as being released in May of this year. It was only after the departure of Michael Arndt that it was pushed back an additional 6 months.

22. DarthHavok

Feb 27, 2002
    And don't forget that Rian Johnson had been writing the script and viewing dailies for TFA while it was in production. It's not being filmed. I am sure that while things are being filmed the people at ILM are actively working on purely CGI scenes now. We're talking principle photography starting. That's not to say the movie hasn't been in production for some time by now.

PlagueisWise likes this.
  23. DarthHavok

Feb 27, 2002
    That's possible. I would say there would more run up for Rogue One before anything with Episode VIII. So I wouldn't be surprised to see a teaser for RO with Civil War. I'm more inclined to agree we don't see anything for VIII until mid-late summer. They may forgo that 30-second teaser. Most people wanted to see something of TFA at that point. Knowing it's only 18 months out you may not see that same hunger.

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I agree with those who say the Celebration or SDCC is a good guess. Maybe late summer/early fall even. I don't think that it'll be December. I mean I fully expect it to play in front of RO, but I don't think that they'll wait that long to FIRST debut it.

25. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Will we get a Teaser in April?