main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First thing you would say to Ahmed Best when you see him in public.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KaneRobot, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaneRobot

KaneRobot Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    You're walking out of a screening of ROTS, and you spot Ahmed Best. What do you say to him?

2. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Ahmed,

I am sorry that some Star Wars fans are so rotten to you. I've heard that you've even gotten death threats; that's terrible. I hope you realize that their conduct does not represent that of your average Star Wars fan. I sincerely enjoyed the character that you've played in these films and think that you've gotten a bad rap. May I please have your autograph?

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

3. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Windy's post sums up my thoughts pretty well.

4. CBright7831

CBright7831 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2004
    I bet he gets alot of hell.

5. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

go windy! :D

6. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    To Ahmed Best: You, sir, are an idiot.

7. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Yeah, it really isn't his fault as far as how Jar Jar turned out. You can place that blame on Lucas. While I still hate Jar Jar as a character, I think that Ahmed Best did a pretty good job as far as portraying him.

8. george_starwars

george_starwars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2002
    Ahmed did AWSOME considering what he was given.

9. Harabec

Harabec Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2001
    Windy has exactly the right idea.

10. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    To Ahmed Best: You, sir, are an idiot.

Classic.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Also not very nice.

12. Loopster

Loopster Jedi Youngling star 4

Sep 26, 2000
    Nice schmice.

13. CMNDR_BACARA

CMNDR_BACARA Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    It is partly his fault. It's not just the lines he's given, it's also his body language, which is all Ahmed Best.

14. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I'd say:

"Hey, it's that guy from Stomp!"

15. NeimoidianReport

NeimoidianReport Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2004
    If I just spot him coming out of Burger King after I left the theatre, then nothing. Jar Jar may seem like a braying jackass of a character to many, but does this guy really need to be harassed by a bunch of SW fans for the rest of his life, either to condemn him or express support for him? Let him be at peace when he's out and about...

But if he is actually at the premiere, if anything, I might say hello. I certainly wouldn't start spouting off about my opinions of Jar Jar because, quite frankly, he could not possibly care less what I think...

16. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It is partly his fault. It's not just the lines he's given, it's also his body language, which is all Ahmed Best.

Actually it's a lot of George. Watch The Beginning. George tells Ahmed how to walk like Jar Jar and it's pretty much exactly what Ahmed did.

17. LeeKenobi

LeeKenobi Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 13, 2002
    "Yousa bombad actor. Yousa to be pew-nished."

18. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    "Actually it's a lot of George. Watch The Beginning. George tells Ahmed how to walk like Jar Jar and it's pretty much exactly what Ahmed did."

Plus, even if George didn't show Ahmed that walk, he still could have told him that he didn't like it and wasn't going to use it. Ahmed wasn't doing anything that George didn't approve of. As the director, George is ultimately responsible for all of the performances in the film.

:cool: Mace Windy,
    too windy for spoilers!

19. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    I agree with Mace Windy's first reply. Some people think that they should harass the actor just because they don't like the character. I liked Jar Jar myself, and Ahmed Best's performance was great. I read an interview with Ahmed Best recently, in which he said, "it doesn't bother me that people are stupid. I'm not stupid," which I think is good.

20. SHAUN-FOREVER

SHAUN-FOREVER Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 26, 2004
    It's not Ahmeds fault that George sometimes gets it wrong, and believe me he did with Jar Jar, despite people claiming Jar Jar was a sucess.

21. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    As Ahmed Best pointed out in that interview, the anti-Jar Jar stuff was mostly in the U.S.; the rest of the world didn't jump on that bandwagon.

Only in America would people build up that idiotic "Jar Jar is a racist caricature" stuff. Oh, but some people tried to show they were being objective by saying, "I really don't think Lucas MEANT to be racist..." and other patronizing crap.

It's a good thing Best didn't let the stupidity get to him, and I like his attitude toward it: "They're trying to make me out to be the poor, ignorant 'darkie' being misled by the evil white filmmaker. Like I'm not smart enough to know when I'm being condescended to. And they call Lucas racist?"

22. Pizza-the-Hutt

Pizza-the-Hutt Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I wouldn't recognise him, and even if I did I wouldn't bother to bother him.

23. Reverend_Duck

Reverend_Duck Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005
    I think Ahmed Best looks kind of like Vin Diesel.

Vin Diesel?
    [image=http://edition.cnn.com/SHOWBIZ/Movies/9906/09/jar.jar/best.jpg]

Ahmed Best?
    [image=http://www.banane.be/pics/news/vin-diesel.jpg]

24. Doctor_SuperJedi

Doctor_SuperJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 22, 2004
    There's always a serious difference between the actor and the character he plays, and that rule applies to Ahmed Best as well. Anyone coming at Ahmed Best is an idiot themselves.

So in response to those who would call Ahmed an idiot:

You sir, are an idiot.

If someone came up to me and said, "Yo, I'll pay you several grand to walk around and play a silly character," you best believe I'd be signing up tomorrow. Especially if it's the Star Wars franchise. In the paraphrased words of Sam Jackson, I'd do anything, even play a bit role as a stormtrooper. Just give me a freaking role.

Lucas wasn't being a racist, and Lucas wasn't being a "fool" for the character. People in the US just took the character and the movie's story about him waaaay too seriously.

I don't like Jar Jar Binks, and I really did want the character to "die" in EP1, but I don't let that kill the movie, or the actor, for me.

25. dooku-ca-choo

dooku-ca-choo Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 5, 2004
    "Ex-squeeze me!" :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.