main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends First Things First - H/L - Proverbs Roulette Response - oneshot ~~author thanks~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Title: First Things First
    Author: Jade eyes
    Characters: H/L
    Genre: Family warm/fuzzy and introspection
    Timeframe: Post ROTJ
    Disclaimer: Don't own a thing, even the proverb.

Summary: Leia's feeling bogged down and pulled in too many directions. Her sense of duty etc. is conflicting with her family's needs.

Mine was #49: "If you are not the lead dog, the view never changes."

Canadian proverb

~!~!~!

Leia was swamped under a veritable avalanche of reports and clamors for her attention. When she?d signed on to be an integral part of the fledgling Alliance, it had been fueled by her empathy for the oppressed and her high ideals for self-government. Now, she?d taken on the reins of leadership because she had a vision and a longing to see hers and others? sacrifices pay off and become tangible. But as the months wore on, and she spent more and more time away from her family, she began to seriously question her priorities.

She knew she could never sit back and let others run the New Republic into the ground through incompetence or apathy for all but their own advancement. She knew some of her peers had been well suited to the guerilla tactics of the undersupplied Alliance but not suited temperamentally or otherwise to leadership.

But this wasn?t leadership. This was political infighting and petty wrangling. She didn?t even see it as a means to an end anymore.

Jaina had a ?Mommy and daughter? project at school and Leia was supposed to go to Parents night but she?d been stuck in a meeting, and they still hadn?t started on the project and Jaina was sulking about it.

Jacen was so rambunctious, and most of the time Han was no help ? he was as mischievous as the kids often as not.

And that was another thing.

Couple time had gone streaking off into hyperspace as if a whole fleet of Super Dreadnaughts was chasing it!

She sighed.

Somehow, her not-so-long ago dreams were turning to ashes at her feet.

~!~!~!~!!~

So when Winter came along with another high stack of ?must-sees? and ?to-dos?, Leia told her flatly that she was going home early and to not call unless it was a cataclysmic crisis.

When she got home, the kids were very happy to see her but when she told them there?d be changes, the look in their eyes clearly said: ?Yeah, right.?

Han asked her later: ?What?d you expect? You?ve made promises before. I know you can?t always keep to them, but they don?t understand. All they know is Mom wasn?t there when she said she would be.?

Leia winced. ?What do you want me to do?? She asked defensively. ?I have obligations ??

Han rolled his eyes. Yeah, and the kids will only be this age once. You don?t have to solve everything, supervise everything. Honestly, I think you and your brother have a serious hang-up where this is concerned.? He gave her a pointed look. ?You?re invaluable but not indispensable.?

Leia sighed. ?I know that and I must admit it?s all wearing on me. I need to set out a concrete plan for easing up and delegating and letting everyone know some times will be non-negotiable.?

Han grinned. ?That?s the spirit. You can lead, even chart the course, but you don?t have to hold up the world alone.?

Having this talk seemed to go a long way in lifting the world?s weight off of her shoulders, Leia mused. She was glad Han was there to keep her grounded.

And as the days and weeks passed and the family got used to having more special times together, the kids blossomed under having Mommy! Time.

And Leia blossomed, too. She wasn?t burned out anymore and wasn?t plagued with guilt.

Fin

++++++

2. PonyTricks

PonyTricks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    It's because of THIS kind of story that I only read fanfiction anymore! [:D] @};-

3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Very nice. It's in-character for all involved and a realistic family snapshot.

4. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Awww. Lovely piece. Thank goodness for Han keeping her head- and heart- straight. [:D]

5. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    I'll second that! Good to see that Han is keeping her grounded, but it would only work if Leia herself understands the need for balance in her life. Sometimes, you'd think that the Solo and Skywalker families are the only ones capable of holding the galaxy together in the EU.

6. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    So very realistic. I continually got the vibe that this was the situation with the Solo kids, except they never really did get the family time. Excellent response to the challenge, Jade! [:D]

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This was great. :)

Han and Leia's parenting skills in canon are beyond awful so it's really nice to read something where they actually try to be good parents.

=D=

8. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Great short story. It's nice to see Leia and Han try to be good parents for once. Well done :)

9. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nicely done and a great snapshot piece.

10. lady_aurora

lady_aurora Jedi Youngling

Mar 19, 2009
    Love this piece!!! Very well written!!!

11. LovelyLea

LovelyLea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2001
    I agree! That was very refreshing! Great job!

12. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Aww, that was wonderful!! [face_love]=D= Han's so smart and I'm glad he was able to help Leia see things in perspective at the end.

Jacen was so rambunctious, and most of the time Han was no help ? he was as mischievous as the kids often as not.
    [face_laugh][face_love]

A lovely and refreshing read- loved it!! @};-[:D]

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi all: :D

Thanks for the wonderful reviews

@};-

I love giving H/L the "right" priorities and the kids a warm, balanced growing up :)

I can't imagine any of them found fulfillment and pleasure in the wacked out huh? sporadic child raising the profic authors stuck the kids with.

Yeah, of course I want to work 90 hours a week and blink and my kids are half grown -- no wonder they don't give me any respect, much less affection [face_frustrated]

o_O

This "feels" much more real to me too.

[face_dancing]

[:D]

14. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Han and Leia have been severely screwed in profic so it's always SO nice to see a fic like this where they get to take time to be a family together. Great lil' pick-me-up, gal! :D

15. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I like it. Some of the finest people that I've ever known are Canadian.

Loved this! =D= =D= =D=

Very true that you must make it a priority and take the time together, even when all you want to do is throw food at each other or make war and not love. [face_laugh] :p

:( [:D] </Han> It'll be okay princess.

And those are the boundries that you must sometimes set.

*bows*

Excellent job, as always, Your Grace.

++++++
    [/quote]

16. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Just saw this and loved it. So typically for a busy mom and dad=D==D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.