main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

First time 1-6 Saga viewers : Boba Fett?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by poodookoo, Aug 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poodookoo

poodookoo Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 24, 2004
    Just wondering, for those few that have watched the Saga for the first time in numerical order, how does the character arc of Boba Fett play out for you?

Obviously for those like me, who saw the OT first, it's a lot harder to see his character development objectively, but I wondered how his story 'flows' when watching episodes 2 - 6 for the relative newcomers to Star Wars?

Does anyone have any friends/family members that they can ask about this? I'd be fascinated to know...

2. poodookoo

Feb 24, 2004
    wow.

Don't everyone reply at once...

3. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    you posted at 3:30 am and are expecting a lot of replies?:oops:

but it is an interesting point. definitely seems to be something GL is leaving more to the EU.

4. poodookoo

Feb 24, 2004
    Haha, it's 2 in the afternoon here in England...

5. bry-maul

bry-maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 5, 2005
    oops, my bad:oops: . i didn't know there were SW fans outside of the US (you know, SW being "american" films and all [face_whistling] ) you know us ethnocentric yanks...;)

6. Obi-Ted_Kenobi

Obi-Ted_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 6, 2003
    I thought that casual veiwers watching them in order might be confused by the time they get to ANH and see Boba in the hangar with Jabba. He is not mentioned by name until Han says it very quickly on the skiff in Jedi.

I thought the audience might be like: "Wait, is that Jango? I thought he was dead, maybe that wasn't him in the suit when Mace decapitated him?"

I cannot remove myself from it enough to be able to see if assuming that that is then Boba in his father's suit is logical or not from a casual viewers standpoint.

Did that make any sense?

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Very good point.

First time audiences will first see the helmetted Fett in ANH, sort of standing in the background and may not even notice him, or connect him to Jango. Then there is the infamous looks-in-the-camera exit from the hanger--"wait, who was that? It kinda looks a bit like Jango but he's long dead? Is that one of his clones or just some random dude in a suit?"

Then ESB comes and Fett speaks--"hey, i know that voice, its Jango! So is that a renegade clone? Or maybe that son he had, Boba? Is that him??"

He's never referred to as Fett though, only as 'bounty hunter', leaving his identity still ambiguous.

Then of course ROTJ. "Hey that Jango bounty hunter clone is back at Jabbas Palace! That guys cool!" Then he attempts to capture Luke on the sail barge and Han has the almost throwaway line 'Boba Fett? Where?'. I can just picture audience response: "Wait, wait, did he just say Boba Fett? I think he did. Wasnt that the son of Jango from Episode II? Yeah, it was, so thats what happened to...oh nevermind, he just was swallowed up the Sarlac."

Sadly by the time its made clear that its Boba he is Sarclac meat, and hence his death and entire arc becomes rather meaningless for a first-time viewer.

8. emporergerner

emporergerner Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2005
    The way Boba goes out in the movies is weak. He is such a great character he could have done so much more. I personally think he should have gone out fighting Han on Endor. He should have been dispatched by Vader to find Han agian. For somebody watching the movies in numerical order has to be frusterating. You know his name then he's in the sarlacc pit.

9. General_Grievous_x

General_Grievous_x Jedi Youngling

Aug 15, 2005
    Am i the only one who thinks luke should have cut bobas head off?

10. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Well, if the audience can't infere that the armored guy is Boba Fett, they need help. How many guys do you see wearing armor like that? Plus, Fett's voice was changed for the DVD to be Morrison's. If they can't do it by then, I highly doubt they'll care if that's Boba or not.

11. poodookoo

Feb 24, 2004

Exactly.

12. i_dont_know

i_dont_know Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2005
    It would look cool, but I think Luke was too at Peace (ie. stoned) in that scene to go decpitating people.
    At least you got to see Luke chopping his blaster in half in similar fashion to what happens with Mace and Jango [face_beatup]

13. poodookoo

Feb 24, 2004
    I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but Lucas has stated that he was strongly considering adding a scene to ROTJ when the SE's were released, of Boba blasting his way out of the Sarlaac pit, but in the end he opted not to.

I guess the musical 'number' in Jabba's palace so soooo much more important to the Saga, eh?

14. Darth_Pazuzu

Darth_Pazuzu Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2005
    Many people think that Boba Fett's death was the worst in the entire Saga, but I look at it completely differently!
    There's actually a bit of poetic justice to the notion of a villain born in a test tube, without a mother, getting swallowed up by some living slit in the ground![face_laugh]
    Even before the death of the Emperor, the Force is beginning to balance itself out!

15. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
  16. MickyJedi

MickyJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 2005
    In the OT the 'bounty hunter' in the armor is Jango Fett, while in the PT it's Boba.
    I found it interesting that GL decided to give Boba a story, showing his father in the PT, and saying that he's a clone of his 'father'.

I think that Boba & Jango face (that's the same, as Boba is Jango's clone) is the most known face in the SW universe!! There are a lot of clone soldiers with that face, both during the Republic and the Empire. Poor Boba! It sounds like "I've already seen you somewhere"! Have you ever thought about this?

Ps: To bry-maul - Hi, I'm italian! SW has fans not only in the US! :D

17. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Ho visuto in Italia per tanti anni (pero son Americano) e non ho mai visto un tifoso li per Boba Fett. Tutti i veri Italiani sanno che Boba Fett e un lechacullo. Questo era ovvio anche prima che abbiamo visto che il "padre-fett" ha fatto la sega dieci volte per giorno (guarda la casca sua, cosi pulito!). I Fetti sono defiscenti,

18. MickyJedi

Jul 7, 2005
    Wow Darthpoppy! =D= An american speaking Italian!! [face_flag] You like italian slang, don't you?
    For other members, he said that Italians don't like Boba 'cos he's a boot licker... Quite right, pal! [face_peace]

19. DarthPoppy

DarthPoppy Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2005
    Thanks! I love Italian slang. Lived in Rome for two years (1996-1997) and in Venice for a year and a half (1991-1992). Italian is the best language in the world for slang, bad words, etc. So expressive. We should have a "talk star wars in Italian" forum con tanti parolaccie!

20. MickyJedi

Jul 7, 2005
    [face_whistling]

21. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    Am I the only one who thinks Boba Fett should have charbroiled Luke?

More than likely we'll see it eventually though. George can't resist money seemingly, and that would earn him a frap-load of credits.

No doubt.

22. Lynch69

Lynch69 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2005
    Newer fans will surely wonder what the big deal about Boba Fett was.

23. DARTH_VRUC

DARTH_VRUC Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2004

Nope. Besides, if it wasn't for Hans lucky strike (no, really, I don't smoke!) Boba would have blasted him.

E per l'italiano- io studio questa lingua da tre anni, ma devo dire che e molto difficile, specialmente perche non ho un amico con cui posso parlare in questa lingua. Scusa me per il mio terribile italiano. :)

24. Darth_Maestro

Darth_Maestro Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2005
    guarda la casca sua, cosi pulito!

lol[face_laugh]

i speak spanish but i understood about half of it and yes Darth_Vruc your italian is terible.:D

25. Darth_Pazuzu

Aug 3, 2005
    Not to be a nag or anything, guys, but...isn't this thread supposed to be about first-time SW Saga viewers' response to Boba Fett? I put in my two cents eight days ago:

I take it this has not occurred to anyone else? Hmmm...?o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.