main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga First viewing of Star Wars: Theatrical or Special Edition?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Blisters, Jun 27, 2014.

?

Theatrical or Special Edition?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2014.
  1. Theatrical

14 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Special Edition

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Let people form their own bias.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I see what you mean, but 17 years of controversy over various tweaks and changes (with the omnipresence of the Internet making such controversy impossible to avoid), not to mention a clear numerical disparity between release and episodic order when it comes to three additional episodes, renders any talk of 'bias' a bit meaningless. There's way too many opinions out there - and they're not solely OOT vs SE, some prefer the 1997 SE's, some prefer the 2004 DVD release, others the OOT and so on.

In all honesty, however, for a child, I'd probably go with the 2011 Blu-Rays, much as I hate many of the changes to the OT over the years. It's presented in the best quality, good place to start - then if he gets into it, perhaps show earlier versions later down the track to illustrate what was changed.
    Without the earlier versions available in the same sort of quality the 2011 cuts are, any judgement over editorial and VFX changes in content is going to be unfairly influenced by the sub-standard presentation, particularly in the case of the OOT. A young viewer will most likely prefer the version that looks best, regardless of anything else.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    That's my point. The new generation of children are going to be too young to really be on the internet. Four, five, six year olds. Just show the Blu-Rays and do it I-VI and call it a day. So what if they don't like it? Let them form their own opinions. Older crowds like the ones Yak mentioned, well, just start them off the same way.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  4. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I still think that with older viewers the best way is to explain how it's unfolded over the years and then let them choose how to go about watching it.

With very young children, I'm not sure if I'd even recommend that they watch the saga. I haven't had experience with very young ones watching it, but how many four year olds are going to be able to get to grips with all the trade disputes and political machinations of TPM? I struggle to understand the plot of that movie at 40, despite the fact that I quite like it!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Young kids might not get trade disputes, but they'll understand the action sequences. I was four when I saw ANH and I didn't get all the political talk about shutting down the Senate and why the Empire was evil.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I was about the same and I loved it. Do you think it would be fair to say, though, that although there's a bit of political guff in it, ANH is generally simpler and easier to follow for a 5 year old than the PT films are?

7. DowClimber

DowClimber Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    I am a 7th grade teacher and I was a camp counselor for 5-10 year olds for 5 years. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to introduce the movies to friends, my girlfriend, my eventual kids, etc. But working with young kids surprises me a lot in the sense that their introduction to Star Wars is all over the map. It seems most I talk to aren't introduced to the movies in orders we expect, like episode or chronological order. It seems most kids just happen upon the movies - either on TV or watching at a friend's house or their parents just rented one not knowing the difference. A lot of kids who know the movies say weird things like "I've seen episodes 1, 4, 3, and 6" or some order that makes no sense whatsoever. But the thing is, it doesn't prevent them from enjoying it or understanding it, they just have to work to piece the story together and fill in the gaps. For kids, there is a ton of Star Wars content - 6 movies, the Clone Wars, video games, etc. I think today's kids approach Star Wars kind of like comic books where you don't necessarily have to go in story order. The same way you pick up and read assorted Batman comics without having to read the story in chronological order, it seems modern kids are introduced to Star Wars in the same way.

I also introduced the movies to my 18 year old cousin who had never seen them. He expressed an interest, so I planned to show him the originals and then prequels later. I went and grabbed my VHS tapes so he could see the original cuts and he looked at me like I just handed him an 8-track. I tried to explain that the DVDs had several significant changes and weren't really the "original" films and he was just like "Dude, I'm not a Star Wars purist. I just want to watch them on my laptop." So he watched the Special Editions first and ended up becoming a huge fan of the entire saga.

Long story short - I think Star Wars diehards like us spent a lot more time worrying about things that are not so significant to first-timers. For the most part, it seems people either are or are not Star Wars fans, and those that are will enjoy the universe no matter what part of the story you introduce them to.

8. Jangounchained1990

Jangounchained1990 Jedi Knight star 2

May 31, 2015
    Show him both and then tell him that there are people who want to kill Lucas over some of those tiny changes.

9. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    (Full disclosure: born in 1979)

I first saw RotJ (in theaters, 1983), then ANH (home video, I'm pretty sure) followed by ESB (also home video). I remember being so pumped up and excited after seeing RotJ. It was a theatre in a mall, and I remember zooming through the walkways like I was on a speeder bike. I was pretty terrified of Jabba, and remember closing my eyes during a couple of scenes with him.

(Interestingly, my son will be about the same age when TFA opens that I was when RotJ came out).

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup - my first viewing, of ANH at least, was of a "Digitally Remastered" pre-Special Edition video - which had it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. NorseSith

NorseSith Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2015
    I'd definately show the special editions (or blu-ray of course) to new viewers, who are not bound by nostalgia. Then the un-altered versions if they become fans.

12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'd go with the Historical Originals. Let them see how SW *began* this need not be a fan pissing match and it's not about nostalgia.

darksideDINO likes this.
  13. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    show him the special editions and his journey to the dark-side will be complete!

I joke :p

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  14. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    My niece and nephew have been forced to watch star wars since I can remember... I say forced, it was always deliberately, unintentionally on the telly whilst I was babysitting. My 8 year old niece showed no interest other than fancying Anakin. The screams of 'Jabba, Jabba, Jabba!' came from my 5 year old nephew.

I can't really use this as the demographic for the whole saga... but I reckon my nephew has better taste! ;)

Personally, my first viewing was one of the first digitally remastered, widescreen VHS tapes with the white sleeve... followed by the theatrical release of the '97 SE...

15. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    I don't suppose it matters too much which you show him.

I think for a child that the greatness of the plot, the action, the effects, the performances and the sheer timlessness (is that a word) of the OT will carry the stories over and above and also transcend the glaringly bad CGI and out of place additions. They may not notice those changes like we do.

16. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Just watch whichever version you think you'll enjoy more.

If the SE changes annoy, don't watch it, if you can't live without them, watch it.

If you have no strong feelings either way, then watch whichever is cheaper.

Simple.

17. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Theatrical for release order, SE for chronological order

18. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Theatrical. And it was amazing to grow up in that era. Just watching them….brand new….lines literally around the block…..theaters packed….people cheering.

Sarge likes this.
  19. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    If I'll ever have children, I suppose that I would show them the Special Editions first (those are canon, after all). I personally don't really have a problem with most of the changes.
    After that, I will offer them the original unaltered movies as well, so that they could make up their own opinion.