main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Fiscal Cliff Doomsday Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    But that's not the theme of Derpy's rant. He presents nothing but the usual laundry list of Fox News talking points. For example, no mention is made whatsoever of Iraq or Afghanistan - probably because those expenditures can't be blamed on Democrats. And in the end it all comes down to "why would anyone vote for Obama?" This is a far cry from "both sides are equally unrealistic" or "both sides suck".

Uh, no. Perhaps I should have said "only the extremely affluent aren't facing bankruptcy in the event that they get sick"?

Well, that's nice. Guess what? In the real world, single-payer isn't going to happen. Thus we are faced with the choice between a so-called "lousy, ramshackle plan" and doing absolutely nothing at all about the problem.

Access to health care is not "crap". In fact, in every other advanced country in the entire world, it's considered a right. America stands alone. Gotta love rugged individualism, right?

Well, yes, and that's the point. Barack Obama is indeed not serious about the all-important task of kicking the **** out of the lower and middle classes. That's why teabaggers don't find him acceptable. He's looking out for the 99%, not the 1%.

Yeah, just keep telling yourself that. You're not fooling anyone. Telling uninsured people with cancer to go **** themselves can hardly be called a position of moral superiority. Republicans are all about protecting the rich from higher taxes. Despite their rhetoric they care about nothing else. They've proven at every turn that they'd rather crash the economy than see their backers pay even slightly higher tax rates. But feel free to continue living under a delusion, or trying to delude others, or whatever it is you're doing.

2. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Three possible outcomes looming:

1) Last minute mini-deal, followed by an immediate opening of negotiations on a larger one after the new Congress convenes later this week.

2) No deal, taxes go up, and the new Congress and the President strike a deal within the next two calendar weeks; this option gives Republicans 'political cover' in the sense that they can now claim they are voting to cut taxes

3) No deal, and we stay off the cliff as both sides dig in, with a market crash and recession.

I put the odds of each outcome as 20% for #1, 70% for #2, and 10% for #3. Apparently, the Democrats are willing to consider a higher threshold on increasing rates OR a looser estate tax, but not both. Republicans remain opposed to any tax hikes without deep spending cuts.

How the markets will react are anybody's guess. I expect a drop with anything less than a grand bargain.

Peace,

V-03

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I feel Arawn is arguing with the wind at this point.

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Lindsey Graham is saying the President won on taxes.

We'll see about the rest, I suppose.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  6. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't understand why the President is bothering to deal at all, rather than waiting until January 1st. He gets everything he wants and Republicans lose every bit of leverage they have at the stroke of midnight on January 1.

Republicans should be thankful that the President doesn't run the office the way he ran his two campaigns, particularly the second one. If he did, there would be no dealing until after the beginning of the new year, excluding remarkable concessions that the GOP would never make.

Blithe likes this.
  7. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I think a bigger problem here is that the election has already been forgotten, and the tone has been set for 2013, and possibly the rest of Obama's second term, as well.

The Tea Party faction has made it clear that they will not allow anything meaningful to be accomplished with Obama in the White House if there's even the slightest chance he will benefit from it; as such, his entire second-term agenda may already be scuttled.

It's amazing how the calculus can still be "If we block everything, refuse to compromise, and blame the President and Democrats, eventually, the country will collectively wake-up, slap themselves on the forehead, say 'Wow, you guys were right all along!', and vote in Tea-Party supermajorities at all levels of government".

If the election didn't change that, I fear nothing short of a major catastrophe, such as a default, will. Already, talk of the President's agenda on discussing gun control are on the ropes, as well as immigration.

The most conservative Republicans in the House and Senate represent districts that overwhelmingly voted for Romney, and are so insular they don't seem to care about anything outside of their own little world...certainly not the rest of the country.

It's a shame. Happy New Year to all.

Peace,

V-03

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    CNBC said Obama is going to speak about the fiscal cliff at 1:30 ET - about 25 minutes from now.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    This deal sounds bad. We should go over and start negotiations again next Monday.

EDIT:

Perhaps I spoke too soon.

Obama blamed Congress for being obstructive (*gasp*), and House Republicans are so shocked and insulted that they're thinking about... obstructing the deal.

Which is fine by me. Better to wait a few days for a better deal.

10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Breaking news, no house vote tonight.

LOL DERP BALAH BLAH. Why do people take this? Vote out the GOP from the Gov. Get them out.

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Well, um....damn.

I guess this means we're going over the cliff?

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Of course we are - Boehner hasn't been reelected as Speaker yet, and a compromise now would basically doom his prospects. And, well, that's all he cares about, because he's a politician.

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Oh well.

14. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Everyone get your oars ready.

15. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    No, I will not post a picture of Sam Jackson about to turn the breakers off from Jurassic Park no matter how tempting it is to do so. :p

16. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    I guess I shouldn't have sold off my puts on the Dow this morning.

I would have made a much larger profit if I had held them through at least Wednesday.

So who thinks we get a deal by next Monday?

As an aside, the CEO of the largest private cardiology pratice in the northern virginia area issued a statement that if we go over the cliff without fixing the SGR cuts, as of January 1st, they will no longer accept any new Medicare patients.

Maybe this is what it will take to get something done? Real pain?

Peace,

V-03

17. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Maybe this is what it will take to get something done? Real pain?

Always thought that was the point of the entire sequestration process, myself.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    There will be something done (like on taxes for the middle class, the "doc fix," etc.) by Innauguration Day.

It won't be a fiscal cliff, a fiscal curb, or a fiscal slope... it will be a fiscal bungee jump!

[​IMG]

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Hold onto your butts.

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    They gave themselves a raise, then sat back and let taxes go up on the rest of us.

21. Vaderize03

Oct 25, 1999
    Supposedly, the deal is done, except for $24 billion in spending cuts. The vote won't be before tomorrow, probably to allow taxes to "technically" go up, after which Republicans can claim they cut them, at least for the middle class.

The thresholds for income, dividends, and capital gains are higher than I was expecting the democrats to go for, which surprises me. Apparently, Senate liberals are furious with what Obama is agreeing to.

I wonder if they won't bother to even pass the deal?

Peace,

V-03

22. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That news was so last hour, man :p

It's what I posted about, before I edited in that House Republicans won't be voting at all tonight.

We're going over... and we'll be just fine. A little panic will spur action. Any damage will be fixed.

KnightWriter likes this.
  23. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Alternatively, time to start hoarding gasoline and bad leather punk fashions.

[​IMG]

Be still, my dog of finance. I understand your pain! We've all lost a bargaining chip we love. But we do it my way!

24. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I hope Congress burns in hell for starving the American People.

25. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    That seems rather excessive, seeing as we're not even over the cliff yet.