main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Welcome one and all to Small Screen Star Wars's brand new, spanking Social Thread!

This thread is simply... To be sociable in. Come here and talk about whatever you want, Star Wars or otherwise. There will be no set discussion for this place and the conversation is totally down to you.

A few rules do need to be set from the get go;

1. The TOS still applies here. 2nd and myself will moderate this thread the same as we would moderate any other thread on this Board. Profanity, trolling, spamming, flaming, explicit sexual conversation, inappropriate pictures and overall bad behaviour will all be edited. Just because this is a social thread, doesn't mean we mysteriously throw the TOS out of the window. ;)

2. Cliques and small groups excluding others are ill advised and we discourage them.

3. All users and newcomers are welcome and should be made to feel welcome.

4. Have fun. This thread is for YOU the users. Whilst we will still moderate it, this primarily YOUR thread.

Music is provided by The Max Rebo jazz ensemble, entertainment is provided by The Galaxies Opera House and refreshment's are provided by Dex's Diner.

Now you've read the boring bit, the next thing to do is enjoy....

Away you go. :D

2. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
  3. Remud_Starkiller

Remud_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2007
    Ok gang, I'll go first.

Hi, I'm Ray. I'm 23 years old and I've been watching Star Wars since I had ROTJ on betamax. The speculation threads in these boards always make me laugh though. I remember all the hype around I, II, and III. There were all kinds of rumors, wish lists, etc, and when it was all said and done, usually everyone was pretty close to wrong (a year and a half ahead of time, as we are now). I don't feel the need anymore to guess or try and come up with things I'd like to see in the cartoon or the live action because it's not going to happen, and whatever George comes up with will be better than anything I thought up. When it comes down to it, he is the big kid in the sandbox, and everyone else is just renting space.

I'd also like to use this time to rant at the EU. I know this isn't really the place, but I count the Clone Wars cartoon and Droids and Ewoks as well I guess. Now, personally I liked the CW cartoon, but that doesn't mean I count in cannon. In my book, the only things cannon are the 6 films. not the novelizations, not the radio dramas, not comic books, or the boxes and boxes of novels. (And this isn't out of ignorance, i've read most everything thats out there.) My point is, stop trying to retcon everything to make it fit into continuity. I always looked at all EU literature as second and third hand information, like a fable. Stories that are passed down, but not all the information is correct, but the general idea is there. The Clone Wars cartoon lends itself to that especially well. I know most people hate the battle of Dantoonie, where Mace slaughters an entire army of battle droids, and takes down that World Devistator wannabe (I HATE DARK EMPIRE BTW. Why, WHY would Luke turn to the dark side? Didn't ROTJ, GEORGE LUCAS' OWN MOVIE establish that Luke was stronger than Anakin, and already turned away?). But, if you look at it though the eyes of that kid, retelling it to his grandchildren, I imagine thats how the story would be told.

Just my thoughts.

4. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh lord, not another canon debate. Here's the thing, if you don't want the EU to be canon and don't think it's valid in-universe SW lore, then don't read it. I personally am a huge fan of the EU, it has it's ups and downs, the very bad stuff is very bad, but the very good stuff is very good. Maybe I'm a bit extremem because I would take the best EU works over anything that Lucas has ever done, but that's just me.

5. Remud_Starkiller

Remud_Starkiller Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2007
    I'm sorry guys, let me try to nip this and say that I was not trying to start a cannon debate, I just wanted to say my piece on the EU and see if anyone agreed with me. I used to be really into the EU, and I still go back and read the Zahn stuff and the X-Wing series, but then everything started getting worse and worse, and these poor characters got thrown from one poorly written situation to the next, and I began to feel sorry for them. And let me tell you, when you start to pity your heroes, somethings wrong.

And it's not that I don't want the EU to be cannon, I just want someone out there to realize that not everything has to be cannon, and the quest for cannon doesn't have to be so serious.

6. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Don't worry, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. It's just that any discussion of canon tends to go to bad places, that's why I jumped in like that, the less talk of that stuff the less chance of there being a bad debate about canon.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    We aim to please.[face_dancing]

So, everyone had a good weekend? :D

8. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    I had a great weekend, attended the local gala on Saturday, saw a friend I haven't been able to see in person for over a month, watched my Cubs take 2 of 3 from the Brewers, and other than that sat around the house lounging all weekend after a long week of work. A tremendous weekend actually!

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Great to hear it. :D

In the UK its been a case of dodging the showers, so in between shower breaks I've been attending to my garden most of the weekend, which I'm really into these days, just like some old man. [face_laugh]

10. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Thread newbie. Hi all!

G-FETT, what kind of things do you garden? I spent the better part of today pulling weeds.

11. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    Watched the Princess Di concert on the telly-vision today. Great artists and great music all around. Gotta say, Ricky Gervais killing time with the dance from the British version of the office...classic. Good times.

Ahh! I'm glad we have this thread. Some of my best memories were from the 3SA social thread.

*Pulls up a stool and twists open a root beer.*

Good times are here to stay, methinks.

Nyah Kamalas likes this.
  12. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    While I'm not a big fan of social threads in general, I do enjoy the smell of a brand new one.

Enjoy it guys

13. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    Ricky Gervais doing anything is good times indeed.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    MidnightRain, I grow mainly vegetables, but I also grow a small number flowers as well. Most of the hard wok is done, actuallt, its just a matter if keeping on top of the weeds now. ;)

I saw the last two or three hours of the Diana Concert. Saw Rod, P. Diddy, Take That, Elton and Ricky Grevais. Thought they all put on a pretty good show. :)

Where I live, in the English Countryside, is about 3 miles from Princess Diana'a family home and final resting place, Althorp House. Infact, whenever I drive into Northampton, I drive past Althorp House and the black gates on the front of the building, that her flowered covered herse drove through, when it brought her body back ten years ago. So, she is one of this area's big claims to fame.

15. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    :oops: That concert was shown on television tonight. Looking at the time now though, I think I've just missed it. I saw an ad for it, but then completely forgot. If I had known Ricky Grevais was on it, I would have told my brother; he loves that guy.

It's great to see a social thread around these parts. And G's icon is exactly what I think of when I read the hilarious title of this thread.

:D

16. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I think VH1 is going to replay parts of the concert. I'm sure you'll be able to catch some of the best performances.

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    Only if I had cable television. :(

18. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    Greetings and salutations, fellow SSSWers! [face_peace] Can someone pass me a Jawa Juice? Mmm, love that freshly-squeezed Jawa! :D :p

I saw the new Die Hard over the weekend -- (surprisingly) very good, if you dig those types of films, probably the best one (after the first one, of course).

Kevin Smith has a small/cameo role as a hacker named Warlock, who is referred to as a "hacker Jedi". :cool: When Bruce Willis visits him, his place is decked out with Star Wars stuff everywhere. McClaine (Willis) is trying to get him to help, so he points to a Boba Fett cardboard standout and says "Nice poster." Smith responds with something like "What, you think you're all into The Fett?" McClaine, with total ignorance: "Never much of a Fett fan. Always more into Star Wars." Smith's character goes nuts. [face_laugh]

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    ^^^^^^

[face_laugh] Thats really funny. [face_laugh] I really liked the first Die Hard, but thought the other two were over the top and silly. Is 4 more like the first one?

Tyi, I would expect that some time in the next few weeks the Diana Concert will be released on DVD (probably in time for the anniversary of her death, I would have thought) so you'll probably be able to catch it then. :)

20. MidnightRain

MidnightRain Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2003
    Okay, Die Hard 4 just became a must-see for me. :D

I loved Kevin Smith in The Legacy Revealed on The History Channel (which is on again tonight, BTW), when he was talking about how his Obi-Wan action figure was the one he played with the least, but that it was essential to have him because somebody had to teach Luke the ways of the Force. :p

I missed the Diana concert as well, so I'll be glad to see it released on DVD. I always liked Diana. Our birthdays were only a day apart, and my family can trace our ancestry to the Royal Family.

21. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Well, it's certainly over the top (especially with respect to the action pieces and McClaine's near-immortality), but it works better in this one than in the previous two sequels. Probably because the nature of the threat that McClaine's fighting this time is much more over the top as well -- it affects the entire nation. And despite the over-the-topness, there's a reality to the film in general that quite frankly surprised me, as i was expecting nothing more than a fun action romp and Bruce Willis one-liners.

But there's more of the first film's tone in Live Free or Die Hard, in that McClaine is doing what he does not because he's some superhero or anything, but simply because there's no one else to do what needs to be done (and there's a nifty little discussion of this between him and Justin Long's character). Justin Long also adds to the film excellently, as he's a great sidekick to John without overshadowing him (like Samuel L. did in the 3rd film).

I know people who've hated every other Die Hard except the first one say they loved this film, so take that for what you will. [face_peace]

22. DarthLassic007

DarthLassic007 Jedi Master star 6

Nov 25, 2002
    I can't wait to see the new Die Hard movie. I'm glad to hear it got good reviews. I'm in the minority who say that Die Hard 2 was better than Die Hard 3.

23. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm in the minority who've never seen any Die Hard films. :oops:

But I saw the trailer for the recent Die Hard when I saw Transformers. I was impressed, and interested by it, and I've only heard good things... do I need to see the originals before Live Free or Die Hard?

24. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Nah, not at all. All you need to know is that Bruce Willis is a police officer, with a knack for being in the wrong place at at the wrong time and the ability to survive impossible odds. Actually you don't even need to know that; the film's pretty self-explanatory and self-contained. The only little tidbits that might help (but also revealed/recollected during this film) is he's divorced, and his super-cop ways are part of the reason why (this was actually more integral to the third film than this one).

So, short answer? No. [face_peace]

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    [Movie Character] is a police officer, with a knack for being in the wrong place at at the wrong time and the ability to survive impossible odds.

Sounds good to me! ;)

Seriously though, that's good to know in case some friends are going. I know then that I'd have no problem tagging along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.