main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Shpydar

Darth_Shpydar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 31, 2006
    The vast majority of the time i'm on the boards (which is basically all day on weekdays) is when i'm in the office, so i've just got on 1010 WINS via the 'net (1010 WINS is a NYC-based news channel). The only problem with that is that the same 10 commericals or so are repeated ad infinitum throughout the day -- which wouldn't be so bad if a copule of them didn't have hyper-irritating jingles that pop into my head as i'm trying to sleep at night. :oops:

There's been a decent amount of coverage here in the US as well. Don't know about you boys across the pond, but the US news media jumps on these type of stories every time, covering them to beyond tedium, until i yell at my TV, "Um, isn't there a frakkin' WAR on? Americans fighting and dying? Maybe that's a TAD more important than one missing girl?" Don't get me wrong, of course it's horrible when these things happen, but i think news that actually affects the nation and the world should be a higher priority than that.

And i won't even get into the hypocrisy by those same media outlets -- if the missing child is a cute, white child, then insane media coverage. But if it's a black child or other minority, there's almost no coverage of the situation. I find that horribly, horribly despicable.

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I agree with all of that. The media is horribly hypercitical. And if her parents had been unemployed former drug addicts rather than middle class doctors, the media coverage of them leaving her alone while they went out to dinner would have been much harsher...

TYI, I often have Star Wars music on whilst I'm on the Boards. Often I have the TV on as well.

3. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    This day in history...

September 11th;

2001 The worst terrorist attack on American soil - 2819+ die as a result of hijacked airplane attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Western Pennsylvania

@};-

4. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I remember that night well. It happened around 11pm here. @};-

What, does Star Wars music get you into the right groove for the forums? :p

[face_laugh]

Shpydar; is WINS a radio channel or a streaming television thing? I find that usually the hyper-irritating jingles come from the radio rather than those annoying (yet not catchy) internet ads that loop around forever.

5. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    WINS is an area AM radio station (bascially headline news, weather, traffic, sports, et al; it's been on in NYC for years and years, and while there are plenty of other news stations in the NYC area, it's kind of a standard-bearer) that also streams online (www.1010wins.com). The jingles are definitely radio-only ads. The irony is that when they change up some of the ads, i actually end up missing the hated jingles -- not miss them like i want them back, but miss them like i'm going through drug withdrawal. [face_laugh]

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    [face_laugh] The thing is ... do you ever actually remember what the jingles are selling? 8-}

I've never been to NYC in my lifetime, as of yet. Someday that can change.

7. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Strangely enough, i do remember what the jingles are selling (though i don't know if i did the first 47 times i heard them :p) -- the two most pervasive (which, as i write this, i realize have not aired at all today) are for an area insurance company called Countrywide (which, according to news reports, has been hemmoraging money as of late), and they use a 1950s doo-wop style jingle that's mostly irritating because it's louder than any other thing on the station.

The second is for a charity, where you donate your car (for a tax write-off) to help fund child education programs and such. It is the ultimate irony though: the charity is called "Kars for Kids" -- that's right, "Cars" is spelled with a "K"; it's even part of the jingle when they give the phone number ... and it's a charity focused on education. [face_laugh]

And i'd highly reccommend -- to anyone -- visting NYC. Just don't be one of those tourists that stops and stands gaping slackjawed at the tall buildings, blocking the sidewalks for people who are actually going somewhere. [face_mischief]

Though actually, most of those types tend to be other Americans from the heartland who've never been to a big city. And forget about it if they happen to spot a TV or movie filming location! :D

Meanwhile, i'd love to at some point visit Oz, Sydney i suppose, but knowing me it won't be until i'm like 60 or 70. And i definitely want to make my way to London town someday -- it's funny; a lot of my friends think i would fit in seemlessly (accent aside) if i moved to London.

/end long rambling post [face_peace]

8. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I'd definitely visit NYC. And I would prefer to stand and stare slackjawed at the buildings from the top of one of them (wink ESB wink) rather than the ground! Another thing I would definitely do in NYC would be to see David Letterman live.

So, what; you plannin' on retiring down here or something, Shpydar? :p

it's funny; a lot of my friends think i would fit in seemlessly (accent aside) if i moved to London.

Fit in seamlessly, aye? Is there some sort of "fit" to that town? G? Any thoughts here? :cool:

:p

9. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Heh, maybe. Though i know i'm too much of a Yank at heart. Of course all that would change if i met Kylie Minogue or one of the girls from Neighbours. [face_mischief] =P~

10. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Kylie = [face_love]

I'd kind of like to move to Australia, but I think I would find the weather too boring.... If I went anywhere, it would probably be Canada, where they have brilliantly cold and snowey winters.[face_mischief]

11. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    You want brilliantly cold and snowey winters? [face_worried]

Neighbours? Surely you watch better television than that!

12. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Yeah, I'm a cold/snow fan. The colder the better for me.[face_dancing]

13. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Heh, actually, never seen a complete episode of the show. But the ladies are rather a joy to look at! :D

But Kylie rules all. I remember seeing a video of her covering a Lennon song at a tribute show in the early 90s, and was instantly smitten. And she's gotten even hotter since then. Yum. [face_love]

14. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    Autumn is just starting to hit where I am at. The mornings are especially crisp and when the sun starts rising over the mountain range in the east, the light sprays magnificently over the valley. This is my favorite time of year...unfortunately, I live in a desert environ and so I don't get a lot of leaf change.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Come to Edmonton, Alberta where I live. It gets up to +35 celsius in the summer and -35 celsius in the winter. I read somewhere once we have the biggest temperature shift between seasons in the world. [face_pumpkin]

I'm going to Las Vegas for 5 days next week, so we'll see how I handle the extreme heat.

16. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Garth, that sounds like my mind of climate. :D

Lord_NoOne, its the same here. We're just moving into autumn mode now, with cool, dewey mornings and warmish afternoons. Next week we're supposed to get some autumnal wet and windy weather, I think.[face_dancing]

Oh yeah, and Kylie hotness is required for this thread;

[image=http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z202/GFETTMS/KylieMinogue6.jpg]

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

17. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    That video was rather steamy. I rather like the sassiness in the Red Blooded Woman video more, however.

Oh yes. I went there. Start naming them everybody: Favourite Kylie video?

[face_whistling]

I'm the complete opposite. :cool:

Hey Garth, any shows you're going to Vegas for in particular? Or it's just a trip to enjoy the thing called travellin'? :D :cool:

18. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Fall's trying to start here as welll; some foliage changes, but the summer's hanging on -- with ultra-delicious days of 70F weather, no humidity and mild breezes. Of course, i'm in the office all day long, so D'OH!

Thanks for that pic, G-Fett ... now i'll never be able to concentrate on work! =P~ [face_love]

As for favorite Kylie video ... i'd have to say it's actually a clip from a talk show (about 5 years back maybe), i think in England (not familiar with Brit talk shows, so i don't know which one), where she starts the bit about to arm wrestle with Geri Haliwell, but instead they decide to make out. [face_hypnotized] Nearly had a heart attack first time i saw that!

19. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    lol

That certainly is some delicious weather you're having, Shpydar!

20. Darth_Shpydar

Oct 31, 2006
    Oh, most definitely. Gonna have to step outside for a bit about now. It's such a welcom change from the summer -- which for the most part was fine, just very humid (as is the usual case on Long Island), which i absolutely loathe.

21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Tina got us 4th row tickets to Cirque du Soleil's "O" (as in, "eau"). Supposed to be awesome, better be for $190 USD a ticket.

I kinda wanna see a magic show. I dunno, I've never been to Vegas, so I'm sure whatever we do will be great.

22. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    I can assume who Tina is, but just to confirm... Wife, Garth? :D

Cirque du Soleil would be awesome. I've watched a few of them on television (basically whenever they show one) and I love it. Seeing the entire thing live would be magical.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Hows everyones weekend going then? :D

24. Lord_NoONE

Lord_NoONE Jedi Master star 5

Dec 17, 2001
    I just saw the "Believe" trailer for Halo 3. Pretty sweet.

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Jun 17, 2005
    How many different trailers are there for that game? It's like a movie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.