Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I should read more...
  2. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    I've not read LoTR but loved the movies. I did just read the Hobbit and it was amazing. I could not put it down.
    AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I got a terrible thing to admit. I've never seen the LOTR movies.
    Last edited by Seerow, Nov 26, 2012
  4. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    It's been a while, but I remember absolutely loving the Hobbit. The LOTRs had their high and low points... honestly, I think Peter Jackson did a good job altering the things that he did. ROTK (the novel) had a terrible ending.

I just finished the Silmarillion, which... was really, really bland. Sort of like reading a gamemaster's plot for an RPG that never got off the ground because there were too many characters.

I never saw Revenge of the Ring either. The one when zombie Gollum returns with the ring, right? :p

EDIT: Also, @AkashKedavra_93: Wow, amazing covers! I'm gone for a day and suddenly everyone gets delusions of grandeur! Your books look seriously badass.
    Last edited by Barriss_Coffee, Nov 26, 2012
  5. AkashKedavra_93 Emperor of the Seven Realms and the First Dragons

Manager
    star 4
    [face_blush]
  6. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    It's a creation myth for cultures that don't even exist. That's what I found tedious (yet oddly inspirational) about it. At least the actual stories (LOTR, Hobbit) can be said to have characters rather than just archetypes with names attached to them.

That might be the one where Gollum burns on a lava beach, screaming: "We hates it!" to Frodo, who looks down at him sadly and picks up the ring where it lies...
  7. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
  8. Barriss_Coffee Chosen One

star 6
    That's just it -- "inspiring" is one of the few positive adjectives I'd grant it. The guy had an amazing knack for creating incredibly original worlds. Part of my frustration was that he'd outline plots that had serious storytelling potential, but they lacked the personality from his other novels. Sort of like reading the back cover of a book for the summary. Only... it was a whole book of back-cover-summaries.
    aldrestjedimaster and QuangoFett like this.
  9. aldrestjedimaster Jedi Master

star 1
    Silmarillion is a bit bland but it is kind of interesting if you enjoy Middle-Earth.
  10. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Not to worry, you're still flying half a ship.:p
  11. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    lol, thanks for trying bro, guess its all just part of being the village idiot with these guys. Atleast I can count on you and Akash who tried to warn me.

Edit: Akash is making me promise to watch LOTR extended to redeem myself.
  12. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Hope you like long endings.;)
  13. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4

Admittedly I haven't read Percy Jackson, but Eragon?
    Last edited by Darth_Zandalor, Nov 26, 2012
  14. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    My attention span tends to be pretty short so, its going to be a challenge.
  15. EHT Manager: New Films

Manager
    star 5
    Then don't watch the extended versions, just the regular ones... they're still three hours long each (so basically a nine hour long movie), but very good and not nearly as tedious as that might sound.
  16. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    I tend to not have the attention span to make it through alot of normal length movies though. x.x;
  17. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    I had a hard time getting through Silmarillion. I had to read it a bit at a time.

True story: I went to get my hair done and had a paperback of The Two Towers with me. The hairdresser looked at the book and said, "Is that about the World Trade Center?"
  18. Senator Kelberry Force Ghost

star 3
    I have to confess I never made it through any of Tolkien's books. I tried, I really did, but they seemed...I don't know...maybe too complex to get my mind around. It's the same reason I hesitate to read A Song of Ice & Fire. The HBO series is complicated enough.
    Seerow likes this.
  19. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Brings back bad memories of how many other kids in school and even the Math teacher at the time, I had to explain what the World Trade Center was to when the attacks occurred.
  20. SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You are much braver than I am.... no way that rocket scientist is getting near me with a sharp pair of scissors.:p
    eht13, KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  21. QuangoFett Force Ghost

star 4
    The Children of Hurin, effectively one of the Silmarillion tales adapted into a proper novel, was fairly good. It actually resembled an archaic mythological text like the epics of Beowulf and Gilgamesh rather than just a rambling Wikipedia article on them. The characters - while relatively bland and homogeneous compared to the colourful casts of The Hobbit and LOTR - were actually characters.

I wonder how Peter Jackson would handle all the incest and family drama in a film adaptation. :p
  22. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    Given the sort of people I talk to on some of my calls. Its hard to be surprised.

Now, this one isn't the customers fault but I just had a customer call in with a last name that popped on my screen as a certain word that rhymes with 'Duck' with a Dr. infront of it. And I just had to mute it and giggle like a 10 year old. Then I wasn't sure how to address him on a recorded call.

"Thank you for calling, Dr. ****..."

"How may I help you Dr. ****?"

"Your iPad isn't working Dr. ****?"

"Sorry to hear that Dr. ****."

I'm not making this up. I swear. Thankfully he let me use his first name.
  23. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
    I'll just watch the upcoming movie and call it a day. :p
  24. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
  25. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4