main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the Clackamas Town Center shooting. Rest in peace and may their loved ones remain strong.

cwustudent: I know you're from Portland, are you okay?

cwustudent likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Whoa, that's the first I've heard of this shooting. According to CNN's website the shooter is dead as well.

3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    You're so sweet! Yes, I'm safe on the opposite side of the city.

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  4. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    That's good news at least. Stay safe! And that's to everyone out there!

cwustudent likes this.
  5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Glad to hear our Portand residents are safe. I just found out about the Town Center shooting. My heart goes out to the victims and their families.

cwustudent and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is the first I've heard as well. Opening my news apps right now.

cwustudent, glad you're OK.

cwustudent likes this.
  7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Wow, a shooting in America? I can't believe it. [face_plain]
    But in all seriousness, I hope it's not too bad.

8. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Exam tonight.... what ways does technology influence Jazz music? Lessee, 78 rpm records changing from acoustic to electronic recording meant that bands no longer had to be strategically placed throughout a recording room in order to get proper sound balance, magnetic tape allowed for better clarity and longer recording, radio meant that live broadcasts from the Cotton Club in 1927-1930 of Duke Ellington's orchestra made him famous across the country, synthesizers and blending genres with fusion invented new sounds, player pianos for the early days of ragtime, what else?

9. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    One more final and my semester is finished.

...is dat sum egoraptor in your icon Zandalor?

10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I had my last final this morning, even though technically finals don't even begin until tomorrow! [face_party]

Garth Maul likes this.
  12. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Interesting. Do you get more individual artists (i.e. "laptop artists") working by themselves on jazz composition and recording? E.g. Garageband, etc. As far as recording, were they originally encouraged to record in as few takes as possible - so with electronic recording, is there less need for the band to be super tight? Pro Tunes leading to less technically proficient musicians?

Alternatively on the composition/performance piece - do you get a situation where a sax player from the UK could interact with a bass player from Toronto and a pianist from New Orleans? So technology might lead to more individual work, but also more opportunities for joint work across the world?

13. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    We didn't really cover modern Jazz, but what leads up to it. It's a Jazz history class. This particular question asks how Jazz was influenced by changes in technology. We made it up to the 1970s, with Fusion and Avante-Garde. There really haven't been too many advancements or game changing aspects to Jazz in the past few years. definitely computer technology has had an influence, but Jazz itself isn't as prevalent today as "Popular Music", so it has someone settled into its role as art music.

There wasn't much talk about Jazz in other countries, apart from when big hits like Benny Goodman went on tour. He played in Toronto on occasion.

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Something I wanted to share... ;)

Coric, Barriss_Coffee, Seerow and 2 others like this.
  15. Senator Kelberry

Senator Kelberry Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 22, 2010
    Ok, they seriously need to get GlaDOS for the voice of a tactical droid next season. No question.

16. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That would rock. And if it has the same personality and lines... :D

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Another ******* shooting. This one seems like a new low... so so sick. http://www.cnn.com/

19. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Oh wow, that's just depressing. An elementry school? What is wrong with people? My heart goes out to the victims families.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, reading the updates as they unfold is just making me sick. At an elementary school... with Christmas approaching. Wonder if this will be any different than the other post-shooting gun control discussions we as a country always have, that end up in nothing changing. Could this be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

21. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I just heard the shooter's mom was his teacher and the main target? Just awful.

22. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I went numb when I heard about the shooting. 20+ elementary students? It's sickening.

My prayers are with all the families affected by this. @};-

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh. My. God.

That was way too hard to read. "Sick" doesn't begin to cover it. Those poor kids.

24. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Truly a depraved and sick individual. It's so unbelievably awful. Invariably, the question is what is wrong with these psychopaths, and I also have to wonder what is wrong with the society that creates such psychopaths.

25. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    what is happening with this world ....first Breivik ,then the TDKR shooting and now this :(

Huyang likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.