main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've heard alot of mixed things about it.

LOL, I kinda have this inside joke with one of my friends who is been into ST but doesn't like SW that he's just pissed off since he's been try to get me into ST for years and here I've gotten into SW instead, "randomly" as he puts it.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The visual effects could be compared to ROTS, JJ is a pretty big SW fan, not so much for ST. The audio mix is pretty laid back. (Unlike any of the Star Wars live action movies. :p )

The story was alright. Not one of my favorites, but one I'd recommend watching at least once.

3. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Its been on my list for like two years. I'll get there. =b

4. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    It was on mine for ages. I was just never in a hurry to watch ST. :p

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    The overwhelming majority of my excitement for Star Trek Into Darkness lies with Benedict Cumberbatch being the villain to be quite honest.

Garth Maul and QuangoFett like this.
  6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    My friends make fun of me if I ever admit to watching the Star Trek TV shows, but they all turned around and loved the 2009 film. Conversely quite a few established Trek fans dislike it because it's "not Star Trek" and they don't like the fact that J.J. Abrams turned the franchise into an action movie. As KenobiSkywalker said, it's pretty much just taking the Star Trek cast and the Enterprise and shoving it into an action heavy Star Wars-like movie.

I like Star Trek and I like Star Wars. Star Warsify Star Trek or Star Trekify Star Wars and it's still win for me.

7. KenobiSkywalker

Sep 3, 2012
    Maybe the next Star Trek movie [after the 2013 release] will feature lightsabers. And Episode VII will have Phasers and Transporters. :p :D

8. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    Star Trek is on my must see movies of 2013,i thought the trailer looked cool,although i cant wait to see SW episodes 2 and 3 in 3D i saw a snippet at C6 and it looked very cool,BTW has anybody had any snow yet ? Here in the UK it looks like its going to be a very wet xmas some people here have got bad flooding and it doesnt look good for them for the holiday period-sorry to go off topic,not polite of me!!

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Started snowing in Michigan today (around where I live anyway). And people drive like they've never seen snow before and cause a lot of accidents.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    My friends make fun of me for watching way more than Star Trek. I am surprisingly open with far geekier fandoms

I can assure you its not snowing in Florida, but I got to break out my so-called Curt Kobain flannel jacket.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  11. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    I bet you are a bit more organised with the snow than we are here in the UK ,everytime we get it over here everything grinds to a halt they never can get the road gritting right and as for public transport if i started on how disorganised that is in the snow i would be here all night!!!

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I probably should give the 2009 Star Trek a chance. I've had a distaste for Star Trek since the old TV shows and the 1989 film. My best friend from high school is a big Trekkie and we've had a Trek vs. Wars dispute going on for 25 years. It's all in good fun, and he's always posting Star Wars memes to my Facebook page.

quigonobi3 , other than in the mountains, which actually gets a normal winter every year, people in North Carolina act like the apocalypse is coming every time they see a snowflake.

Guess who is on Prednisone? *headdesk* My asthma has been about as out of control as Anakin in the Tusken camp so I got new meds; this is just until they kick in. Mainly telling you all in case I post something really off the wall and weird (OK, more off the wall and weird than my usual posts. Shut up).

*posts something random about Klingons in Santa suits going down my chimney*

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.
  13. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    I had a four and a half hour operation in October and some of the meds ive had have made me feel like i am in a jedi deep healing trance!! i really felt the force both dark side and light side!!

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, Prednisone isn't that bad, I've had to use it before, it just has some really, um, interesting effects.

*I don't have a chimney, BTW.*

15. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Jumping in on this ST and SW discussion. I really enjoy Stark Trek. I like Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager. Overall the movies are okay, but the original series doesn't do much for me. The Abrams' film was well made and I recommend it.

But as much as I might enjoy to randomly catch a Star Trek episode or catch up on some Doctor Who, nothing compares to SW to me. It is in my blood. I don't think any interest of mine (beyond family) will ever compare emotionally to what SW does for me.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've never watched Dr. Who. My friend who is into ST is also really into that show as well, so I thought there might be similarities.

17. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    It's interesting, there are similarities in ways, but they are quite different as well. Doctor Who has something similar to the Prime Directive (though he's not as fussy about it), [For Star Trek novices the Prime Directive is where the members of the Federation can't interfere with the affairs of other planets, times, etc., i.e. overly influence the natural evolution and/or development of other lifeforms] but the franchises have very different thematic takes. Both are fun and enjoyable. You might try to catch some Who sometime. Matt Smith and David Tennant are both great Doctor Whos.

18. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Most of my favorite things are all but dead fandoms right now so It been really cool to get into something as vibrant and active with so many passionate fans as SW.

The only time I've been on some really rough meds (other than sleep aids giving my nightmares) was when I had my wisdom teeth taken out and was asking my mother to bring me the microwave when I meant my laptop. Health is one of the few things in my life I've been lucky with so far. -knocks on wood.-

I hope you both feel better anakinfansince1983 and quigonobi3.

19. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    About to watch the last Homeland of the year. [face_nail_biting]
    And on the 2009 Star Trek anakinfansince1983 - I really, really enjoyed it as a casual and occasional viewer of ST on television (which I can't even identify the different versions of) Lots of fun, I thought.

20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Seerow and anakinfansince1983: Doctor Who is sheer brilliance. Try the Series/Season 3 episode "Blink" as an introduction - it's not too connected and works perfectly as a stand-alone (it's the episode I've used to hook most of my friends onto Doctor Who). The first 6 series/seasons are on Netflix.

JackG likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Even though I love a bunch of British shows, I hate having to say series over season. Season makes way more sense.

22. quigonobi3

Mar 5, 2012
    Has anybody seen a series called Merlin ? It is shown on the BBC over here in the UK and SyFy in the US,it is totally brilliant and its one of the things that make my Saturday night veiwing alongside Stricly Come Dancing(sorry everybody its my guilty pleasure!!-Strictly is the UK version of Dancing With The Stars-again sorry everybody it is my guilty pleasure!!)

23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I really hated Merlin's production values, especially compared to other fantasy programs as Game of Thrones which it can't hold a light to. However, the smallish BBC series of Sinbad was actually a show I enjoyed this year.
    I, too, am also a huge Doctor Who fan and await the Christmas special eagerly.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Wow, I didn't realize I was living so far under a rock. <<;

25. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    So the long-awaited end of the world was quite normal beautiful (but cold) winter day here.:p I hope the world doesn't end before I get my TCW-season 4 dvd-box, first TCW dvd-box I have bought, because I was able to record other seasons from TV here.Now in Finland there is no more TCW in tv.:(

I like Merlin quite a bit- it doesn't have that good special effects or writing but it is entertaining and quite sympathetic show. Don't spoil me I have seen only the season which ends to death of Morgause. Game of Thrones is of course much bigger and better looking, but it lacks sympathetic protagonists- well except Tyrion. Other characters are either revolting idiots (Other Lannisters) or simply bit boring like Jon Snow or other Starks. Old Eddard died too soon:(

I'm not that familiar with Doctor Who though and I've never really liked Star Trek that much.... Star Wars is pretty much only Scifi that really interests me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.