main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I'm a Mac guy, so could someone please explain the logic behind that one to me? I thought gaming PC = a faster PC geeks show off with.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  2. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I had my geek-gasm today when I unpacked what I bought a few days ago ... my 1/6th scale Sideshow Collectibles Gree. He comes with two spare heads, which would have come in really handy on Kashyyk. [face_whistling]Unfortunately my family will have to starve now. But ... I have a redhead to complement Blacky and Blondy on the video shelf! If that's not worth the sacrifice ...

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  3. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    There is no logic.... its called LACWAC humor.:p

Watched Qui Gon Jinn play g-d again last night and as always, Liam was a badass all the way to the end...
    but the rest of that Titans' sequel was almost unbearable.

Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  4. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    God damn! Aussies what have you done?! This Norovirus has shut down schools all around here because people are throwing up all over the place.

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Stay well Coric. That happened here last year.

6. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    My brother has it so it's inevitable..

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    So 3D AOTC and ROTS have been pushed back indefinitely due to upcoming new SW trilogy.

Sooooo what? Disney not that interested in the 3D release? I say, good for them. But figured if they could make money off it, why not go for it?

Are they concerned about saturation in the public eye? Imagine if they had a tiny little teaser trailer for Episode VII before these films.

CT-867-5309 and SithStarSlayer like this.
  8. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    When was this announced?

9. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    3D re-releases aren't having good returns...

10. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    A grim day for Star Wars fans to say the least.

The AOTC 3D previews Knoll and Muren showed off at Celebration VI were fantastic. Amidala's Naboo Cruiser landing on foggy Coruscant, Zam's speeder making its way through the tunnel during the speeder chase, Dexter Jettster's face in close-up and the Clone battalions walking up the ramp of the Republic Cruiser to be shipped off into battle- all were mesmerising in 3D.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    [​IMG]

No reason whatsoever for that. They were planning to release them this fall. The new film isn't being released until 2015. What does one have to do with the other?

It almost looks like a giant "**** you" to prequel fans.

Seerow and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  12. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds cool, I love getting those Sideshow Collectible Star Wars models :)

Sgt Crowfield likes this.
  13. Billy_Dee_Binks

Mar 29, 2002
    I have a marketing theory:

Releasing all six in theaters IS the perfect lead-in promotion into VII. BUT maybe Lucasfilm doesn't want to oversaturate the market to the point that by the time VII will come it will be just another theatrical SW release. I know, sounds blasphemous to say that about the most lucrative franchise, but the general moviegoer might think there's too many SW movies playing at their local megaplexx between 2012-2015.

Another perspective to look at this is the manpower and resources Lucasfilm has isn't able to do both undertakings Converting another three movies into 3D while planning and shooting a new trilogy surely is no easy feat. They might have realised they couldn't finish IV-VI in time till May 2015, so they decided to stop after I, instead of III.

14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Qui Gon Jinn week continues at the Sx3 Ranch, Taken2 or The Grey?

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    The Grey was kinda boring, imo. Haven't seen Taken 2, and don't want to.

I watched Brave last night, not sure what I'll watch tonight.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I love Brave. By far my favorite Disney movie although I've missed a few recent ones, including Tangled.

17. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    I was really let down by Brave. Wasn't up to Pixar's finest (Ratatouille **** yes)

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I haven't seen Ratatouille. I liked Brave because Merida was not afraid to buck the asinine "tradition" of wearing ridiculously uncomfortable clothes and watching a public display of men making asses of themselves over who would get to make her their *****. She took her bow and quiver of arrows and said "I'm a first born, I'll fight for my own hand!"

=D==D==D=

I'm pretty sure I said "You go girl!" aloud in the theater.

I liked her being forced to heal her relationship with her mother as well, although the mother-daughter relationship is pretty bad if the mother must turn into a bear in order to heal it.

And King Ferdis was hilarious.

Seerow likes this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Yeah, I'd say Brave wasn't one of Pixar's best. I still liked it, in terms of both the story and the animation. Dat curly hair. [face_love]

Even those men vying for Merida's affection were also only doing it because their fathers strongly encouraged them to do so. I loved when they showed that they were also capable of independent thought.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Brave was alright. The set up was very formulaic, and I had a very difficult time tolerating feeling sympathy for Merida. Some of the mythology was cool, especially the wisps. It was nice to get away from the standard setting, though the accents did start to wear on me at times. It had its share of charm and humor, but I wouldn't put it up there with the greatest of the Disney princess movies. I think Tangled is far superior.

I'm not really a fan of Pixar.

The Toy Story franchise is alright, but I'm not really a fan.
    Didn't really like A Bug's Life. Antz was way better, despite my not being a Woody Allen fan.
    Not a fan of Monster's Inc or Finding Nemo.
    The Incredibles is cool, and Pixar's best movie imo.
    Haven't seen Ratatouille, have no interest in seeing it.
    I've seen only bits and pieces of WALL-E, and don't really feel the need to see the whole thing.
    I remember being interested in Up, but haven't bothered watching it.
    Cars is just terrible, I can't believe that got a sequel.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Why didn't you like Merida? Just curious.

Cars 2 was better than the original, but maybe because I liked seeing all the different European cities in cartoon setting. That little Italian sports car was ridiculous though.

Toy Story is overrated.

WALL-E--it's political, it's a caricature of my own political beliefs, and I'm not touching it.

22. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I just had a hard time feeling any sympathy for her.

The whole "forced to live the life of royalty" thing is cliche, and I just wasn't feeling her complaints. Omg you're royalty, I feel so sorry for you. Receiving an outstanding education, even in the areas that interest you such as archery and horseback riding, must have been really hard on you. I'm so sorry you had to learn manners, if only you could just ride your horse and shoot arrows all day instead of just hours a day, that's a legitimate life.

She keeps saying she "wants to be free". Free to do what? Shoot arrows and ride horses? I'm pretty sure you can still do that after you get married. The forced marriage really didn't even seem to be a problem for her, she wasn't complaining much about that, she just wanted to keep riding horses and shooting arrows. She's not only incredibly self-absorbed, but she has a tiny, juvenile focus. I really wasn't feeling her oppression, they didn't do a good job selling it. Others have done it better.

She treats her mom horribly. And for what? Asking her to take her bow off the table? What a monster.

She runs off into the forest and happens upon a strange witch and asks for a magic spell to "change fate", which is fine, but that spell takes the form of a cake that her mother is supposed to eat. So, you're just gonna give this cake that you got from a witch you just met to your mother? Not worried about the consequences? Not worried that it's poisoned?

Worse, after her mom eats it, she keeps asking her if she has changed. And that annoyed the hell out of me. You want to forcibly change your mother with a magic spell? That's what it comes down to, she doesn't just want to change her mind on this one thing, she wants to change her completely. What the hell?

I know I'm taking this a little too seriously. Her hair was cool and I thought it was awesome that she was such a kickass archer, but I didn't like Merida at all.

23. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Seerow (Or any other tablet users/tech people) Have you had any experience with the Microsoft Surface RT tablet? I've been looking for one to compare to an iPad (different concepts, I know. :p ) but none of the local stores have a display model. [face_sigh]

24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    There was nothing necessarily "wrong" with Brave, I just felt that it's scope and ambition were completely wasted telling us a story we've seen a number of times. I did like the mother daughter angle, but I was honestly more interested in the mythology of the Demon Bears than I was the comedic antics of Fergus and the Clansmen. Mor'du the Demon Bear was freaking terrifying, but as a villain, he just wasn't expanded on enough, and he barely factored into the story except to attack things and escalate the conflict.

If the story focused more on Merida and her mother uncovering the secrets of the myth, and if Mor'du played a larger role in the story. He stole every scene he was featured in. It felt more like a mid range Dreamworks movie rather than a Pixar production. It was really apparent that there were some rewrites going on, especially since the directors were switched.

QuangoFett likes this.
  25. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I've heard the Surface RT has good build quality but the screen in mediocre. I haven't had a chance to play with one yet. I can tell you the Asus Vivo RT is a piece of crap. I personally own an Acer Iconia W510 tablet which has a dockable keyboard for wall of text mode and runs full Windows 8. Windows 8 kinda sucks but I like having a full blow OS on a tablet. I need to get around to getting Ubuntu to work on it. I booted it off a flash drive and the touch screen wasn't much of a touch screen. =b

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As for Brave, that was a movie I'd put off because I heard it wasn't good until somebody convinced me to watch it. It was much better than I expected. Its a realy conventional movie which I don't think people expect from Pixar. I liked Merida and was somewhat able to relate to her. I'd expected her to be like Kiara in TLK2 and was happy she was not. I had also heard someone say it was like Brother Bear which isn't true at all. I liked the mythical aspects and thought it was fairly funny. Its a nice little fairly tale and dammit now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head. Its just not a 'wow' compared to the classic Disney princess movies like Little Mermaid and Tangled was better.

QuangoFett and KenobiSkywalker like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.