main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    What are you studying, Fanboy?

***********​

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    JackG Crime and Disorder in early modern England and Wales 1500-1750

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That actually sounds like an interesting subject, although my instant summation of the "history of rape" came down to "people are ***holes." That and all the statistics that weren't counted because it was actually legal for so long for a man to rape his wife.

Random here, but I found this, thought it was cool:

Sixteen best library scenes in movies

4. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Well, there's more to it than that. There are so few recorded indictments of rape, and even fewer convictions because it was such a difficult case to prosecute someone for. Both in terms of suspicions of the prosecutors, and the fact that the law was full of so many paradoxes that it was very difficult to nail down whether a crime was rape, and also very difficult to build a convincing case. In rape trials it was not the defendant, but the prosecutor that was being tried, as one contemporary put it (the name escapes me).

Technically a married woman could not be 'raped' by her husband as rape requires a lack of consent, and marriage implies a permanent contract of consent. Husbands could be brought to court by their wives as accessories to rape, as in letting or allowing someone else to **** her. But then you get into the psychological, physical and emotional trauma that prevents many victims from ever coming forward.

If the debate wasn't full of feminazis claiming rape or the fear of rape was a political crime and a means by which all men kept all women in a perpetual state of fear in order to oppress them and enforce gender hierarchies, with little to no bearing on sexual desire, I'd probably be a lot more interested in it. As is, I'm kinda glad I chose to do my essay on it, just so I never have to look at it again.

5. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Whoa... warning... bleeps.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Fanboy: I know, I was being a smartass. And the feminazis miss the fact that men can be raped as well.

Are you a criminal justice major?

7. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    History undergraduate.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Cool. That was one of my favorite subjects.

I ended up getting my bachelor's in French though.

9. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    I'm finding I dislike it more and more as a subject each year but there's about six hours a week of time I have to be out of bed so I've come to tolerate it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  10. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    Man, having a massive nostalgia trip to my teenage years as the biggest rap fanatic in school. Classic Fiddy pumping out the speakers.

11. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    Have they declared themselves to be femi-nazis or is that what you've declared them to be? Do you get to choose what specifically you write an essay on; or are you assigned what to write about?

12. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I loved history, it just depended on the part of the world and the time period

+East Asia (1500s to modern times)
    +India
    +American Civil War
    +Western Europe - Renaissance to modern era

-Colonial South America
    -Wastern Medieval Europe - not at all what I thought it would be, too much whining and stupid letters going back between the Pope and kings over trivial stuff that I can't relate to on any level (omg I don't care who gets to bestow symbolic ornaments on the clergy) and just can't bring myself to be interested in.

13. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

Feb 25, 2011
    They give us a list of essay questions and tell us to pick one to tackle.

14. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    Interesting. I had a professor who openly declared herself to be a feminist during our first class - so I figured I'd play to her sentimentalities and write a paper about how women were subjected to an unrealistic standard of beauty through media, social pressure, etc. She gave me a very low mark.
    So then I wrote a paper on how I thought prostitution should be legalized. She gave me a very high mark.

15. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Me too. My favourite topics were the Tudors, the Celts and World War 2. I'm going to Auschwitz in a few weeks. Is it sadistic to be excited?

16. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    I would say it's morbid.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    As long as no pleasure is derived from thinking about what people there went through, I wouldn't say it's sadistic or morbid. Learning about history is always good. As the expression goes, "Those that fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it".

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I always liked history in highschool and wish I'd pursued it more outside of there. I'm very into Natural history which goes hand and hand with my old obsession with Astronomy. With World history and even American history to give examples my interests have always been selective like the Roanoke Colony(lost colony), westward exploration/expansion (Daniel Boone, Lewis and Clark, Mountain men like Jim Beckwourth and Jedediah Smith, The Donner Party), Wars (Revolution, Civil, World Wars), Native Americans (And legends), and railroads. My favorite subjects were always the sciences; particularly Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy. I miss when I had the time and money for stargazing. There was nothing quite like being reminded how much bigger the universe is than my little problems through a good orthoscopic eye piece in the 15 inch Dobsonian I used to have. It was my freshman year in college my interests in computers developed when I started playing around with networking equipment, firewalls, and VB so Computer Science it was.

19. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Now I really feel old. Good job on the history degree though, that's where I started :)

20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Triple majoring here, although two of the majors kind of coalesce together (Political Science and International Relations). Biology's great but I despise the math portions of the degree, though...

Barriss_Coffee and Seerow like this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Agreed. I went to the Holocaust exhibit at the Imperial War Museum in London. It's a good reminder of a time in history we don't want repeated.

eht13, Seerow and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  22. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Kinda makes me feel old and I'm only a few years older than him.

23. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Uh, well, okay ... Kiss, Iron Maiden and Adam & the Ants accompanied me through my teenage years. When I mastered in military sociology back in the eeeearly 90s, I preferred Speedy J and other trancy stuff to go along with all the reading and studying ...

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm ancient. I have no idea who you all are talking about, other than Kiss and Iron Maiden.

Def Leppard (Pyromania and Hysteria), Van Halen (5150 and OU812), Bon Jovi (Slippery When Wet and New Jersey), Guns & Roses, and AC/DC (Back in Black) defined my high school years, along with Top Gun, Die Hard, Back to the Future and the Brat Pack movies.

Rap then was Run DMC and DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.

Seerow, CT-867-5309 and Sgt Crowfield like this.
  25. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    Grandmaster Flash ... ? Anyway, ancient is good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.