1. A Message For Everyone:

TCW vs. Rebels debates are not allowed in the Television forum. As in, discussions that descend into TCW/Rebels bashing/gushing will be subject to Mod action. Contrasting the themes, story lines, characters, etc. between the shows is allowed (welcomed, even). "Versus" debates/arguments, however, are a deal-breaker.

Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Master

star 5
  2. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    Linux? Eh. I like Windows better. It runs all my coding tools.
    Last edited by Joe Antonetti, Mar 3, 2013
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  3. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It gets worse. I actually cut people alot of slack if they follow directions well. Its the ones who don't follow direction or think they know what they are doing, don't, and won't listen.

Any version of Linux but that. x.x;

I am a Linux fan myself. I love to distro hope. For the average person looking to test the waters or switch I usually recommend either Pinguy, ElementryOS, or my current favorite distro Deepin..
    Last edited by Seerow, Mar 3, 2013
    Joe Antonetti likes this.
  4. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    I've used Linux once, and hated it. May try it again someday...
  5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Master

star 5
    Hey check it out, a trap song that doesn't suck. Yes this is definitely worth posting.

6. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
  7. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Linux isn't just for code heads and computer geeks anymore. The entire point of Ubuntu was to build a distro of Linux the average person could enjoy without being a computer nut. Many distros have followed suit with Ubuntu's philosophy. Give it a try again sometime. Check out the Distros I mentioned in my previous post.
    Last edited by Seerow, Mar 3, 2013
  8. Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight

star 2
  9. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    I absolutely love coding, and thus the 'for geeks only' part of Linux never really bothered me. Plus, I've heard the Linux community is a great place for programmers to practice their skills and communicate - it's just I don't have the time thanks to school. Once the school year ends, I'll put a couple of distros on my S7S, staring with the ones you mentioned. Thanks.

@Darth Ibonek - I am from Wallingford. What's a townie?
    Seerow likes this.
  10. Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight

star 2
    @Joe Antonetti I'm a recent graduate from a boarding school in your town.
  11. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    @Darth Ibonek - Choate? No way! I live, like, five feet from that place. Literally!
    Darth Ibonek likes this.
  12. KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll be honest, I stick with Windows because around here it makes me more [face_money_eyes]. :p :D
  13. Darth Ibonek Jedi Knight

star 2
    That's cool... I graduated four years ago. Can't wait to visit one day though!
  14. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    Who says you can't have both? That's the entire point of a dual-boot!

@Darth Ibonek - It's a really nice school. I applied, but then ND stole my heart.
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  15. KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    I could, but I don't really feel the need or have the desire to boot into Linux just to browse the web.
    In addition to gaming, I need to know Windows [Cisco and to a lesser extend, Mac] like the back of my hand for my job and certifications. Using both on a daily basis helps with this to some extent.

Maybe I'll give it another try one day in the future though. ;)
  16. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    I assume you do something in CS or IT?
  17. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I use Deepin (Linux) as my primary OS, I use it for everything. I duel boot on my Thinkpad for when I need Windows, usually for games or Photoshop. My Tablet which is my secondary PC is still Windows 8.
  18. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    I've got a jailbroken Surface RT for school, web browsing, and general use. I have a Samsung Series 7 Slate with Windows 8 for coding. I've also got an iMac for Xcode.

Seerow - I can only assume duel boot is when Windows and Linux have a fight to the death to determine which one boots. I want it.
  19. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 7
    My husband swears by Linux. He refuses to use my laptop because it uses windows. He said that he will wait and get a cheap used laptop and put Linux on it. He's done that before but it died.
  20. Seerow Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I got an old Thinkpad T400 that dual boots Deepin and Windows 7, a Thinkpad Edge 14 that dual Deepin and Windows 7, then an Acer Iconia W510 that runs Windows 8. No macs at this time.

Heh... dammit.
  21. JackG Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    The disco has gone techy, so here's some new music courtesy of The Strokes:
  22. KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, I'm a Systems Admin for a local company, part time (just a few hours 2 days a week) "IT Manager" for a non profit and I do some contracted work on occasion with an out of state company. I also in college. =P~ (Night classes [face_coffee])

I'm using an iPad for college, a custom i7 3960X desktop that I used to use for rendering (just games and work now), a Dell M4600 laptop for work and a few Dell PowerEdge 2950/1950's as a test lab and media server.

I almost got a Surface RT instead of the iPad, and kinda wish I did. Lack of native iTunes support was kind of turn off though.
    Seerow and Joe Antonetti like this.
  23. Joe Jedi Master

star 6
    I think @KenobiSkywalker won the computer listings. Wow...just wow.

There's an x86 emulator for RT out there for iTunes and other programs. It's not a great solution, but it works. Plus, the Win8 Music app just wins because of the freeness.

Whatcha going to college for?
    Seerow likes this.
  24. KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master

star 4
    @Joe Antonetti On the Dell M4600, I only ended up paying $200 for it. I bought a used M4400 online that was still under warranty. It ended up dying 2 months later, so Dell replaced it with a brand new M4600. :eek:

Ah, I wasn't aware there was an emulator for the RT. I guess that's what I get for not doing any research. :oops:The iPad does what I need it too for college though. If I used it for work, I'd probably be returning it right now.

I'm going for a degree in Computer Engineering and possibly a MBA. This summer I plan to get my CCDP and next I'm planning on going for the MCSE.
  25. Jordan1Kenobi Jedi Master

star 6
    I've watched the last three episodes of the Ahsoka arc three times today, such a great arc.
    Last edited by Jordan1Kenobi, Mar 3, 2013
    AkashKedavra_93 likes this.