Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

1. CT-867-5309 Force Ghost

star 5
    You think they'll have that on the tour?
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Senator Kelberry Force Ghost

star 3
    And so the balcony is closed once and for all as Roger Ebert goes on his way.

I never let movie critics tell me what to watch. I like movies they don't and they like movies that I don't. That's life. Still, I always liked watching "At the Movies" and I did occasionally drop by his website to read reviews if only because I was curious what he thought of them.

I feel old.
  3. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Off to check the news.

I never read movie reviews, ever. If I want to get a feel for a movie, I'll ask a friend who either knows or shares my taste. I won't read the review of some stranger who purports to be an "expert" but has no idea what kind of movies I want to watch.
  4. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    I think you can use movie reviews as a very general "guide" to if a movie is really bad.

But, yeah, tastes. I have a guilty pleasure in the Saw series of movies, and I think they have an average of 2/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. :p

Unlike video games, where gameplay is quite an objective thing to judge, movies/TV are very subjective.
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Apr 4, 2013
  5. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Just found it. Sad about Ebert. I wasn't sure if he died or if he had retired.
  6. AkashKedavra_93 Emperor of the Seven Realms and the First Dragons

Manager
    star 4
    In regards to the Saw movies, who thinks up half that stuff? A bit concerning...

The first movie I'm really interested in is The Great Gatsby, can't wait. And Kill Your Darlings, The Bling Ring, and Star Trek Into Darkness are definitely on my radar. The last one mostly because of Benedict Cumberbatch, but stil...

R. I. P. Ebert.
    Last edited by AkashKedavra_93, Apr 4, 2013
  7. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Dang, I knew he was pretty ill, but doesn't make it any less sudden. I always like his reviews, even if I didn't always agree with them. I don't really remember Siskel and Ebert, but Ebert and Roeper was always a fun critical duo. :(
  8. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm actually in it for the plot.

No, I'm deadly serious. The first film actually doesn't have any gore until the last five minutes. It's entirely centered on the characters and their motivations. In fact, I like the later films a lot less, because I think they did start to degenerate into gore fests, and the character studies of the first three films especially were lost in the blood.
  9. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Narrated by Kenneth Brannagh, came out 1999? Any of these sound familiar?
  10. TaradosGon SWTV Mod - Like Palpatine with animals

Manager
    star 4
    I never really looked at Ebert's reviews. But it's still depressing. Like it will be sad when Hulk Hogan, Chuck Norris, Oprah, etc. die. People that I am only vaguely familiar with though that are iconic in their particular field and even if you didn't know much about them you still know of them and have for as long as you can remember.

I knew of Siskel and Ebert and then Ebert and Roeper. If I thought of film critics, such names were the first to pop into my mind, even though I had very little knowledge about them

----------------------

Avery Brooks did the narration in the American release of Walking with Dinosaurs.

I also loved Walking with Prehistoric Beasts and Walking with Monsters (called Before the Dinosaurs when released in the US).

The latter two I felt were a lot more interesting because I had zero familiarity with the animals that lived before the dinosaurs and was really only familiar with the recent examples of prehistoric animals that have existed since (like the Wooly Mammoth or Smilodon). Meanwhile I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid and checked dinosaur books out from the library weekly.

Last edited by TaradosGon, Apr 4, 2013
  11. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Siskel and Ebert used to do point-counterpoint reviews as I recall.
  12. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4

Captain Sisko compels you to watch Walking with Dinosaurs.
  13. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    I second third fourth whatever Walking with Dinosaurs. Awesome.

I didn't realise post-cancellation would be such srs bsns. I'm getting some burns from all these heated discussions in various threads.

Here's a cute lamb: [IMG]
    Last edited by 07jonesj, Apr 4, 2013
  14. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Apparently it's all srs bsns now.

I know what we need:

You people all spoiled Star Wars for me! It's not fair! I didn't know that Anakin became Darth Vader! Why did you have to tell me that he's Luke's father? And what do you mean, Jedi can use the Force? And Chewbacca is a Wookiee and Han's sidekick?

IT'S NOT FAIR!!!

...Annnddd look at that moon. I think it's full enough for a party at KenobiSkywalker's neighbor's house.
  15. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Force Ghost

star 5
    To whomever it may concern, dissertation update: 5,167 words done. Officially over halfway. Doing the little extra bits (e.g. intro, conclusion, context and historiography) tomorrow, then it's just one big case study to do.
  16. anakinfansince1983 Chosen One

star 7
    Awesome. :) I know you'll be glad to have that behind you.

In other news related to moving away from srs bsns, my Minecraft-fan 5-year-old just showed me this video. I thought it was funny, but oy...blowing **** up.

Last edited by anakinfansince1983, Apr 4, 2013
    07jonesj likes this.
  17. Darth Ibonek Jedi Grand Master

star 2
  18. 07jonesj Force Ghost

star 4
    anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Seerow SWTV★Mod

Manager
    star 6
    RIP Roger Ebert. =(

Oh man, the new episode of Archer had me in stitches with the Sealab 2021 jumpsuits and the appearance of Captain friggin' Murphy.

Walking With Dinosaurs is awesome. My favorite Dinosaur documentary is Dinosaur Planet. I really liked Walking With Prehistoric Beasts. I've always been fascinated by big cats and that extends to prehistoric cats like Smilodon, Homotherium, and the American Lion.
    Last edited by Seerow, Apr 4, 2013
  20. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 5
    I've only been at uni two days, and I already so tired I feel like I'm going to just fall asleep on the spot... Waking up at 6 am sucks... But hey, it's the weekend now, so yay :D
  21. Sgt Crowfield Chosen One

star 4
    Oh yes, weekend! :D Today will be the last day of the workshop with myTransylvanian colleagues which was all srs bsns, heavy stuff and totally depleted my battery. Starting this evening, I'll finally have my dose of hubby, kid and puppy.
    Last edited by Sgt Crowfield, Apr 4, 2013
    Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  22. phatdude1138 Force Ghost

star 4
  23. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    So Vader versus Yoda then.
  24. Jordan1Kenobi Host of EUC Battle of... Games

Game Host
    star 5
    Deciding between R2 and Yoda was hard, but I voted for R2. But deciding between Vader and Boba was easy, Boba had better win!
  25. Darth_Zandalor Force Ghost

star 4
    Watching Band of Brothers. Game of Thrones may be an excellent show, but Band of Brothers is still the greatest HBO series of all time, bar none. It's downright incredible the amount of effort they put into it. Shame that The Pacific didn't stack up.

I also watched Battle of Britain yesterday. Not the best character piece but one hell of a film spectacle. Its rather obvious where Star Wars got their inspiration for the dogfights in film. They had over 30 Spanish airforce planes used as mockups for the German luftwaffe.